Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just want to know why you went super charger if you did or why you went turbo if you did. would you change it if you had another shot?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i havnt, but i can imagine why they would... to be fast.. to see the look on peoples faces as you fly by them in a focus. to shut up cocky car owners. for self pride in your car. etc...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i went turbo, because it's a turbo

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
i want supercharger...more reliable and power can be right there when u get on it and not have to wait for the turbo to spool. Yes i know, turbos these days spool much much faster than ones did only 10-15 years ago, but there is still some lag. And yes, turbos do produce more top end power, but I hardly ever race, so i need the mid to upper for daily driving.

·
Registered
527 Posts
i like turbos for how easy they are to adjust how much boost you want. plus you gotta love that sweet sweet turbo music.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If I were to do a forced induction I would go supercharger, due to the power being right there instead of the lag. ..then again I plan to auto-x over drag, so that instant power is important to me.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
it's all in what u want. people want different things. they both can be great performance adders for your car if you do it right and get em tuned properly. just be prepared to pay a couple bucks along the way lol

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You SC's guys just keep believing the "lag" hype..... what ever you need to sleep better at night........

·
Registered
450 Posts
depends on the size of the turbo, and whether or not its a bb turbo.

I know this is comparing apples and.. well.. pennies.. but my turbo F350 has horrible lag compared to my friends supercharged camaro and im not talking about putting them both up in a drag, im just saying what it 'feels' like, sure my truck will push you back in your seat, but it takes a second or less, but with the camaro, its neck braking. I've seen similar cars dynoed with both a turbo setup and a supercharger setup, there is a definite lag with a turbo.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ive owned two turbo cars (one being a built xr4ti) and yes they are easy to make a lot of power from, but they produce a lot of heat, and it is extremley tempting to turn up the boost. This time I will be going the sc route. And yes, there is such a thing as turbo lag. You either have instant spool, or top end, you cannot have both. That is why so many imports run hybrids (t3/t4) because you get the spool of a t3 with the legs of a t4.

·
FF Affiliate
30,972 Posts
TNT13 said:
Superchargers are, in general more reliable, and the powerworks makes 220+whp.
This is just soooooooo not true

I do turbos because i like TQ people get to cought up in HP just like this guy posted the PW makes 220 what was the TQ ????

Get out of the mind set of only looking at HP , HP gets you to the track and TQ gets you down the track allways build for TQ and the HP will take care of itself

I do turbos because in most cases there easier to install , easier to up the boost , more TQ and in most cases unlimited amounts of HP/TQ just by changing the turbo to a larger size

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,972 Posts
Michaelarchangelo said:
And yes, there is such a thing as turbo lag. You either have instant spool, or top end, you cannot have both. That is why so many imports run hybrids (t3/t4) because you get the spool of a t3 with the legs of a t4.
I dont agree and the dozens of kits i have built and sold for the Focus wouldnt agree with you either you can have both worlds the trick is to get away from the crappy old school turbos like the t3/t4 choose the corect piping and size then choose the proper turbo for the larger picture , My kits made 300+HP to the wheels and the spool was very nice and quick and it wasent even a ball bearing turbo

Tom

·
Registered
228 Posts
1turbofocus said:
I dont agree and the dozens of kits i have built and sold for the Focus wouldnt agree with you either you can have both worlds the trick is to get away from the crappy old school turbos like the t3/t4 choose the corect piping and size then choose the proper turbo for the larger picture , My kits made 300+HP to the wheels and the spool was very nice and quick and it wasent even a ball bearing turbo

Tom
we thought you got out of the turbo business! can't find any info on your website except for your built motors. change of heart???

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a JRSC+BBK on my SVT and it's awesome. Instant power as soon as I hit the throttle. By no means is my car a monster, but it is very fun to drive and it has great, usable power. My SVT is my only car/daily driver so I need it to be extremely reliable--which it is. I also love the "whine" of the SC but turbo's sound sooooo bad a**!!!!

As for changing anything, I wish I could test drive every type of Force-Fed Focus and see which one I like the most. I would love to be able to compare the driving "feel" of all the different types of SC's and Turbo's out there. It's nice to compare dyno's, but I want to see what some of the other kits "feel" like. Now..... if there was just a huge G2G in Colorado that had every type of FI represented, LOL.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I myself went the route of SC i'm doing the procharger but I've gone to the next level with a complete built engine and very high boost. True enough i'd be able to make alot more power with my setup and a turbo but I like the way the procharger has a very nice Tq curve My HP #s will be equally impresive and the best part is that it's going to be extremly consistant. True enough turbo can be very consistant as well. I just decided to go a little different route than most people. Usually a built engine and everything people would go with a turbo have an insane amount of boost and power but I was looking for a certain setup and i'm sure this SC is going to provide it for me.

As far as the lag comment, Yes certain turbos have lag but those are old and outdated. there are quick spool turbos out now that will get you up to full boost almost instantainiously. There are supras that run monster turbos that spool just as quick as small ones and it's provides excelent power across the board for them. there are also now dual vain turbos that help create boost at low rpms to help out the tq curve and then spool harder in upper rpms for the hp as well.

Honestly the best thing to do is research. Everyone has their own opinions about certain things when it comes to FI. If you just want to go the route of FI just look at people who have gotten around the power that you want to get and look at how much they spent getting to that level. You can obtain alot of power from just about any forced induction setup but some cost alot more to get to that same level, reliably that is.

·
Registered
548 Posts
This was discussed before. PROS & CONS of each type of FI, weigh them & then decide which is best for your application. My focus is mainly a DD. Front wheel drive, 2600-2800 lb car. 300 ftlb of tq can be a bit much for MOST driving in the street with this type of car. Powerworks or PD type SC may give you instant power which is good for drivers who are fighting for a parking space or those who don't know how to get to the right rpm when lanching. To me not only is the procharger easist to install, it gives the best of both worlds of PD supercharging & turbocharging for this type of car as a DD. Remember when comparing SC to turbos there are TWO types superchargers & ONE type of turbocharger. Three types of drivers; Novice (powerworks) intermediate (Procharger) Pro's use TURBOS because they know how to focus (no pun intended) on the strengths of a 300-400 ft/lb turbocharged front wheel drive 2600-2800 lb DD. Thats why they make turbocharged AWD lancers, imprezzas, & audis because unskilled drivers exist. And for those who buy their way in, M3 M5 M6 bimmers & exotics. Oh I can't forget the lazy one's dsg vw's.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
....[sleep] ....[sleep] ... Has anyone added any NEW info to the arguement yet?....

I went TURBO for the same reason all you people wait in line for an hour at Cedar Point /Kings Island, to go on a ride that lasts 15 seconds and pins you to your seat at mach 1, except ....I don't have to wait in line [:D] . and that's only 340hp/338tq.[thumb]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts