Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi mates! this is my first post ever. i own a 2005 ford focus and am totally in love with it. it's been great to me these past 10 years and i was FINALLY in the market to get a new one.

after using the left side audio controls on the steering wheel for almost a decade, it was a shock when i test drove one and the audio controls were on the right.

is there a reason behind this change?

1) i noticed a lot of other companies still have it on the left.
2) it seems weird since a person's hand would be on the shifter.
3) for smokers it causes issues.
4) the radio is already towards the right hand side, so it's almost redundant.
5) i'm left handed so it made a lot of sense.

now i am pretty sure ford's RD team has a lot more insight to this and testing so i'm probably in the wrong, but does anyone know why they moved it?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I think you're outside of the US? Not sure what the norm is outside the US borders for this type of thing, but here in the States audio controls are generally on the right.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think you're outside of the US? Not sure what the norm is outside the US borders for this type of thing, but here in the States audio controls are generally on the right.
On my 03 SVT the radio controls were on the left and the cruise control was on the right. My 13 FoST has the audio on the right and I really don't like it but that's how it is now.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Who cares? I assume you have both arms, hands and fingers and they all work?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^Little harsh?

You don't need to be disabled to have a preference you're used to.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
It's because close to 85% of humans are right handed and, only about 17% of Americans are smokers.

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,216 Posts
Most of the world is LHD so it doesn't make sense, but I that most cars are automatics now, so both hands are supposed to be on the wheel. That or some sneaky Brit on the interior developing team slipped it in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts