Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2014 focus and noticed when I slid out on ice i could not put the car in netural from drive, Why is that? I don't want to be pulls into an accident. Anyone one know why?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
going off topic, but that is what owning a Manual Transmission car is. YOU control it 100% Anytime anything, up to you. No machine/computer deciding what you can or cannot do to shift gears. [poke]
I love it.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Most modern cars have plenty of equipment to prevent that. This guy either beat the crap out of his engine, or raised the rev limiter on the tune.
He missed the shift (i.e. he did a 3-2 downshift when he wanted to do a 3-4 upshift).

This wasn't terribly uncommon with the (6 speed) RSX and drivers that weren't taught how to shift properly.

There is no "equipment" to prevent that.

Here is another example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx4wYE-0ubA

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If you REQUIRE a 'nanny' to save you from mistakes, then so be it.
Problem is the nanny usually prevents you from doing plenty of useful things too. [hihi]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys aren't helping me with "My question". Anyone know why the shifter won't let you shift to neutral when in an emergency arises. For example when on ice and you need to stop quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It stops forward motion that the engine has when still in Drive. A basic lesson taught in driving classes.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I don't think I've ever tried shifting into neutral during a skid.

This is while the ABS or ESC light is flashing? If so, it might make sense to disable neutral to ensure that ESC can function properly should you start to skid in an unpredictable manner. The owner's manual states that ESC can reduce engine power and brake individual wheels. It doesn't say anything about powering one wheel to straighten the car - but since we have the electronic differential, perhaps it's also doing this and would explain why it stops the user from disengaging the clutch.

EDIT: I have shifted to neutral while driving around, coasting, stopping, etc. I'll have to try on a empty snow-covered road sometime. Is the OP sure he/she pressed the little button on the shifter? [scratch]

·
Registered
289 Posts
You guys aren't helping me with "My question". Anyone know why the shifter won't let you shift to neutral when in an emergency arises. For example when on ice and you need to stop quickly.
Maybe you are aware, maybe you are not, but with the DCT when the brakes are applied the clutch is disengaged. Unless you plan to come to a rolling stop with no brake assistance or only using the handbrake, it's not necessary to put the car in neutral.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Why on God's green earth would you want to put the vehicle in neutral after you've lost control? That seems like one of the worst things you could do, short of ripping the steering wheel off and throwing it in the back seat.

·
Registered
151 Posts
LOL! You're cracking me up, Joey.

Hodag, if you're sliding, just taking your foot off the accelerator seems a LOT safer than trying to put it in neutral. It's not like it's auto-propelled when it's in Drive...
Then, once you're slowing start tapping the brakes. (Yeah, I know, ABS means you no longer need to tap, but old habits die hard).

I drive manuals, and I don't put it into neutral in a skid, either. I'll push in the clutch when braking, but you never want to have your car actually out of gear unless parked. I cant believe this is being taught somewhere...

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Really, unless you are a very skilled driver with the ability to successfully pull vehicles out of spins, you are much better off just letting advancetrac do its thing. Keep the wheels pointed where you want to go, have the computer do the rest. I've tried high speed Springs (50mph+) in large, snow covered lots and never could do it any better than the car could, and usually just made it worse since it was reacting so much quicker then I could.

Regardless, cutting power is a bad move when you've lost control. Don't do it.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Maybe you are aware, maybe you are not, but with the DCT when the brakes are applied the clutch is disengaged. Unless you plan to come to a rolling stop with no brake assistance or only using the handbrake, it's not necessary to put the car in neutral.
That's not quite true (unless you're completely stopped) as the car has deceleration fuel cutoff. It keeps the clutch engaged so that the car rolling to a stop keeps the engine moving which saves gas. This does cause some resistance and slows the car down faster than while in neutral.

I get what the OP is asking. Putting the car into neutral does stop the car from slowing down as much - this stops the car from diving and keeps more weight on the rear tires - which is where you want it for stability. But I don't think it's that drastic of a difference unless you've downshifted and the engine RPMs are really high. I'd be much more worried about the time (1-2 seconds?) it takes to re-engage the clutch after shifting it into neutral to get power to the wheels in the event that you need to accelerate to get traction or avoid some other obstacle, etc.

In my book, it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
If you REQUIRE a 'nanny' to save you from mistakes, then so be it.
As demonstrated in the video, some people clearly do.
Unfortunately, most people weren't taught how to shift properly.

Even the new Ford GT will have an automatic.
How stupid could Ford get, right?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I can't say for sure, but there is the interlock that prevents shifting into reverse without the brake being applied at the same time. This is common for virtually all automatics sold here. It could be the car assumes you're headed for reverse and won't let you do it without the brake being applied (and probably speed close to zero as well).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts