Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can buy them direct TMPMS .com $65 each. Or at the Ford dealer for $135 each
But not at tire Rack?
If Tire Rack does sell them only if one calls? Or does Tire Rack only sell the banded types?
Tire Rack has plenty of info pages on them, even pictures, but nary a one to buy via the site.
Any reason?

Then i also wondered, and the usual replacement of valve stems when changing tires.
Can the TPMS just be stuck on a correct type of valve stem (like a 'rebuild kit"?)
Or does the device also have to be replaced?
What about a flat tire? does one have to put in a new device or rebuild it IF it is disturbed at all?
Or for cheapskates can one just ignore the safety warnings and reuse the undisturbed valve and TPMS>
Especially if I bought new tires before the original wore out?
(On my one week old Focus ST manual tranny with 17" wheels)

((I bought PLENTY of AAA traction tires from Tire Rack for my former ride, a 1999 Contour SVT..)
And finally, Tire Rack sold OE wjheels for my SVT, aso i bought a spare pair. Any chance you will get some of the 2012 Focus wheels for sale?

Did I ask enough questions?
Oh one more: why no pics of a 2012 hatch on TireRack so I can PROPERLY drool over cool wheels? What is up with that????

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The band type usually does not have to be removed when you have a flat or are replacing a tire. The valve type do ( they say it can get in the way of the tire machines operation). The rebuild kit is basically some seals that allow the old unit to be reinstalled once it's removed. I have heard that the unit can be reinstalled using the old parts but there's no assurance the valve stem won't leak. The majority of shops require replacement as they don't want to do the work twice (and yes they get to rip you off for some parts that don't cost much more than 50 cents).

Contact Miles, our Tirerack rep directly (that's what he's here for), I'm sure he can help you with any advise you need.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Try eBay = 4 sensors for less then $100 and sometimes free shipping. I just had a new set of boots put on my 2010 and the rebuild kit is just a new outer valve stem that connects to the TPMS sensors and the wheels, cost about $4 each.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After reading more about the seensors. the band ones seem to be BETTER just because they are less of a hassle when changing tires.
Any downside to band sensors compared to valve types?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I can buy them direct TMPMS .com $65 each. Or at the Ford dealer for $135 each
But not at tire Rack?
If Tire Rack does sell them only if one calls? Or does Tire Rack only sell the banded types?
Tire Rack has plenty of info pages on them, even pictures, but nary a one to buy via the site.
Any reason?

Then i also wondered, and the usual replacement of valve stems when changing tires.
Can the TPMS just be stuck on a correct type of valve stem (like a 'rebuild kit"?)
Or does the device also have to be replaced?
What about a flat tire? does one have to put in a new device or rebuild it IF it is disturbed at all?
Or for cheapskates can one just ignore the safety warnings and reuse the undisturbed valve and TPMS>
Especially if I bought new tires before the original wore out?
(On my one week old Focus ST manual tranny with 17" wheels)

((I bought PLENTY of AAA traction tires from Tire Rack for my former ride, a 1999 Contour SVT..)
And finally, Tire Rack sold OE wjheels for my SVT, aso i bought a spare pair. Any chance you will get some of the 2012 Focus wheels for sale?

Did I ask enough questions?
Oh one more: why no pics of a 2012 hatch on TireRack so I can PROPERLY drool over cool wheels? What is up with that????
I appreciate your questions Elizabeth! There is a way to pull up the sensors to order online. Just enter your Make, Year, and Model then click on "Wheels". You can click on any wheel for the purpose of pulling up the sensor and it should take you to a screen like this. Now below the pictures you should see a tab that says "TPMS". Click that and you can see the price as well as add the sensors to your cart. This will not add the wheel, just the sensor.

This model year (2012) Ford opted to abandon the traditional banded sensor they were using and start offering the more popular direct TPMS. The advantage is that the single units are generally less expensive to replace than having to replace the band, cradle, sensor body, and valve.

Ford only sells us a limited selection of the wheels that they produce (or that they have produced). Hopefully we will get the 2012 wheels but that is outside my realm. I will definitely be dropping a post on here if it happens.

Regarding the picture of the hatchback, I've asked once already and am going to ask again. I want that to be available as well so thank you for expressing your interest!

Just so you know, I have the TPMS rebuild kits for $3.00 a piece but there is no way that I know to pull it up online. The TPMS sensor itself goes for $42 per sensor.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah thanks.
I am just settling in with the car, but some really good tires are always a great idea to have on the car.

·
Registered
241 Posts
As an FYI, although I did not see the TPMS sensors listed on the website, I called TireRack today and was able to order the correct sensors for $42 each. They should arrive this week, along with a set of Blizzak WS70 in 205/60R16, which will be mounted on Ford Taurus wheels (16x6", 5x108mm pattern, and 42mm offset).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts