Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how come people bash ebay headlights? all that really matters to me is "are they better than stock lighting?" cuz my stock lights blow

·
Registered
529 Posts
how come people bash ebay headlights? all that really matters to me is "are they better than stock lighting?" cuz my stock lights blow
If all the matters to you is "are they better than stock lighting?" then your answer is (9 times out of 10) NO. You get what you pay for.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
quality.

yes they will most likely be better than your stock lighting, but chances are they won't last as long, and over the years I have seen a few threads where the ebay headlights melted because of the heat put out by the bulb, and the low quality of the materials used to make them.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Generally- Quality, Looks, Performance.

They are cheaply made, and thus dont fit right.

They are designed to appeal to people in a cheaper market, which is why 90% of them look like a ricer took a chrome-plated crap.

The output on them is just pitiful. Even with a HID setup, the output and light pattern cant match the OEM reflector housings. Also, the light-spray is usually above the cutoff line which is both illegal, and incredibly bothersome to oncoming traffic.

I have ebay headlights, but they are highly modified to give both good looks, and performance, but even with all that, i have to admit that they do not fit the car perfectly, and eventually i will have to replace them.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I say if you are on a budget, Go for it! eBay items may not have the best quality, but I believe that If anything goes wrong with your eBay item, it won't hurt your wallet much. Overall, with item from eBay it's pretty much a win or lose situation.

·
Wheel King, Bow Down
1,918 Posts
I say if you are on a budget, Go for it! eBay items may not have the best quality, but I believe that If anything goes wrong with your eBay item, it won't hurt your wallet much. Overall, with item from eBay it's pretty much a win or lose situation.
I'm going to correct you here. It's a lose lose situation, there is no -or- in this case.

Like Richard has mentioned he has put a LOT of money into ebay lights just to make them bearable and after that he still isn't fully satisfied.

Why would you waste $150-200 on something that will barely last 2 years for inferior light output and zero resale?

Save your money, put better halogen bulbs into your stock housings. Clean the lenses to make sure they are clear and enjoy a nice set of MACHs or ST170s for years to come once you've saved up enough.

I've owned ebay lights, i've obviously had stock lights, and I've got ST170s now... these have more than paid for themselves in visibility, quality, and looks. And if I ever do need to sell them I can get nearly if not all of my money back out of them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have bought two sets of light from ebay. one set i had to remount on my old mounts on my gmc truck, the other set i bought for a 06 malibu ss and the halo rings stopped working in less than two months. and now the clear coat is peeling. i would say stay away.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
Hey i guess im the one with luck lol I bought my tail lights from ebay, with some minor modification they fit perfectly, and i was satisfied.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Because they suck.

Why spend $200 on cheap, shitty headlights when you can retrofit the stock ones for the same price?

It's not even hard.

Bake headlight open. Remove glare shield. Bolt in projector. Wire headlights.

I did my friend's Civic headlights in like an hour using Mini D2S projectors.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I usually use a google search for this stuff k2 motor works dot com I believe has first gen lights for no more than 340 and as little as 140

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
Have had mine over a year. No complaints here. Even still have the bulbs it came with still in them.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
306 Posts
Believe it or not, it actually has nothing to do with the manufacturer. Once something is posted on Ebay it is instantaneously not worth purchasing.

But seriously, if your headlights are really beyond saving, buy some DEPO replacements and put in some brighter bulbs. I know how bad old stock headlights suck, but having gone to new DEPO Mach-a-likes with HIDs, I'm beyond happy with the result.

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
What is the problem with the stock headlights? I have seen good results with those headlight restore kits; if yours is just glazed over and thats causing the light output to decrease.

You can always try to find a better quality set than what your car has at a junk yard/ pick and pull type place as well.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
^^ I can understand the want for projector style headlights, reflector headlights have never been that attractive to me, but at the same time, its a matter of quality and performance. nothing ebay has to offer has either of those two things.

·
has a screw loose
9,927 Posts
I've got projector headlights from K 2 motors with an HID kit installed and had them for over 3 years without any problems .

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
I'm going to correct you here. It's a lose lose situation, there is no -or- in this case.

Like Richard has mentioned he has put a LOT of money into ebay lights just to make them bearable and after that he still isn't fully satisfied.

Why would you waste $150-200 on something that will barely last 2 years for inferior light output and zero resale?

Save your money, put better halogen bulbs into your stock housings. Clean the lenses to make sure they are clear and enjoy a nice set of MACHs or ST170s for years to come once you've saved up enough.

I've owned ebay lights, i've obviously had stock lights, and I've got ST170s now... these have more than paid for themselves in visibility, quality, and looks. And if I ever do need to sell them I can get nearly if not all of my money back out of them.
I went the same route with My old 03, and I can only tell You that I could've saved Myself significant stress, time and cash by just getting the ST170's the first time around. Pricey, yes. But worth every penny when it comes to output and light throw/beam quality.

If You want the "best" of the cheap ones, keep an eye out for the brand name DEPO. They are used by most body shops as an "OEM" repair replacement and are around 1/3-1/2 the price of OEM. But the rule still applies, no matter what route You go: You get what You pay for. Sometimes less, rarely more. Meaning in some cases they last for a long time with no issues, and some crap out in less than 2 years.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I cant seem to find the website for DEPO or MACH headlights.....
mach headlights are made by HELLA. and they are discontinued. look on here in the accessories for sale section to find them

another good product that i don't think anyone mentioned are the hella dynabeams

1 - 20 of 26 Posts