Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why does it seem like my car makes more "noise" than actual "GO"??

Why does my FSwerks intake only sound like its working half the time??

Why does my car sound REALLY LOUD after 4k RPMs and doesnt go anywhere except to change gears??

handles great when in turns and 2nd-3rd
but when need to go faster in 4th or 5th IT LAGGS HARDCORE
?????????

),,,,,;

I have a 5 speed 09 coupe with FSwerks CAI stock exhaust

^^^^ oh and my friends if you could answer each question that be a blessing.

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
Because in 2009 they replaced all Focus' engines with a small field mouse called Gerald. [8]

In all seriousness though, you are driving a Focus with a small 4 cyl. What kind of performance do you want? Believe me, I know what you're feeling...my Fusion has the 4 cyl and by god is it slow. [chairfall]

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Because its an eco car made for good gas mileage. Simply adding a cai is not going to make it faster. With a tune and exhaust you will notice a little more umph but it is still what it is. People on here told me all the time as long as i am n/a its not going to be fast. I have put on cai, fswerks header, fswerks flexpipe, full custom catback exhaust, fswerks stress bars,13lb wheels and have a tune. I am pleased with the gains and the increase feel. But it is still n/a my friend. Id love to go boosted or nos it but i cant afford to yet. i dont know what else to really tell you bud

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Because in 2009 they replaced all Focus' engines with a small field mouse called Gerald. [8]

In all seriousness though, you are driving a Focus with a small 4 cyl. What kind of performance do you want? Believe me, I know what you're feeling...my Fusion has the 4 cyl and by god is it slow. [chairfall]
Haha i love the mouse joke![:p]

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
As for the intake working half of the time question, what do you mean? The intake is there to "intake" air lol it will be louder if it is sucking in more air but thats not the intakes doings thats the engine system telling it to inhale. The intake is a tube. It performs no action. Only channels the air the engine is intaking(=

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because its an eco car made for good gas mileage. Simply adding a cai is not going to make it faster. With a tune and exhaust you will notice a little more umph but it is still what it is. People on here told me all the time as long as i am n/a its not going to be fast. I have put on cai, fswerks header, fswerks flexpipe, full custom catback exhaust, fswerks stress bars,13lb wheels and have a tune. I am pleased with the gains and the increase feel. But it is still n/a my friend. Id love to go boosted or nos it but i cant afford to yet. i dont know what else to really tell you bud
I JUS WANNA BE ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH THE SVT I SAW TODAY

GRRRRR!!
lol
-Derek

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and will a tune make the 4th and 5th gear accel better?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for the intake working half of the time question, what do you mean? The intake is there to "intake" air lol it will be louder if it is sucking in more air but thats not the intakes doings thats the engine system telling it to inhale. The intake is a tube. It performs no action. Only channels the air the engine is intaking(=
foasho...
example: ill barely touch the pedal to move forward and its normal sound happens climbing to 3.5k rpms when getting to 4k I hear the CAI kick in?
louder much deeper tone happens <sounds great..
now when I floor it.. it make that deep tone but doesnt really move anywhere and is all sound no GO...?

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Sure to an extent though. You gotta think, your car isnt made to be running 100+ like that. Im assuming you are talking about when your deep in it floored right? We cant really talk about what we have or will do on the streets on here lol but i mayy have been on a certain long stretch of "closed course" with an acura rsx that thought he was hot shiz. He came running up on me and when we got at it i pulled away from him starting at about 80 and by the time my dash was pegged at 120 he was wayy behind me. And i had the car loaded down with stuff.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
foasho...
example: ill barely touch the pedal to move forward and its normal sound happens climbing to 3.5k rpms when getting to 4k I hear the CAI kick in?
louder much deeper tone happens <sounds great..
now when I floor it.. it make that deep tone but doesnt really move anywhere and is all sound no GO...?
This isnt the cai's fault. The ecu is at fault for this. This is what tunes help with even on things as simple as a cai. If you buy toms you get free updates as you add parts!!!! I wish i would have got mine from him now instead of a certain competitor that charged me 35 bucks [?|] 4 different times for tiny changes

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
A tune will help, but in all seriousness, its a small economy car designed to move people in a gas friendly manner. Minor bolt-ons can only do so much, even with a CAI, Full Exhaust & Tune your only going to get about 20WHP over stock (in my case, good for a 1.25 sec drop & +4mph in the 1/4 mile). If you really want a fast car, sell it and buy a mustang. Otherwise its always gong to be a compromise, for the most part the FoFo is a great car. When upgrading my car I knew it would never be super fast or handle like a sports car, I built it to enhance what was already there. I added a little more power, I upgraded the handling with better suspension parts and replaced the complete sound system to make my time inside more enjoyable. That's about all you can do without spending a ton of money, Good luck.

Bob

·
Registered
621 Posts
My car is diferent but I'd hope I can add my 2 cents. I'd go for the engine tourqe mount, tune and header. It helps alot. Makes it drive like a diferent car.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
its just not built to be fast. i really think our gen got left out on some stuff. like we have no performance model. the previous gen had Roush, Saleen, ST and an SVT. those arent fast either but im sure their faster than their base model brethren. nice wheels, sleek body add-ons and a few engine mods here & there (excluding the ST) and bam... nice sporty car. then our gen comes. we have nothing.. the 2.3L is dropped, as is the ST trim level, and nothing filled that performance void... for us anyways. then the 3rd gen gets an ST and a Roush... so jealous lol. jeez Ford you could've gave us an SVT or ST Coupe at least to make our 09-10 coupes be as sporty as they look. lol

~Jealousy Post~

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
X2 on that

·
FOCUS REVOLUTION
2,872 Posts
all i have is a intake header exhaust and i keep up with SVTs with a intake and exhaust

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Well yes that too, with big 3; cai, exhaust & tune im about 2/10th quicker in the 1/4 mile then a stock SVT 3/5 door (in Vegas)

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
its just not built to be fast. i really think our gen got left out on some stuff. like we have no performance model. the previous gen had Roush, Saleen, ST and an SVT. those arent fast either but im sure their faster than their base model brethren. nice wheels, sleek body add-ons and a few engine mods here & there (excluding the ST) and bam... nice sporty car. then our gen comes. we have nothing.. the 2.3L is dropped, as is the ST trim level, and nothing filled that performance void... for us anyways. then the 3rd gen gets an ST and a Roush... so jealous lol. jeez Ford you could've gave us an SVT or ST Coupe at least to make our 09-10 coupes be as sporty as they look. lol

~Jealousy Post~
This was due to the economy going down the drain in the US, and also everyone was screaming fuel efficiency. The same thing happened in the 70's. Now that gas is starting to remain somewhat consistent auto companies are coming back with sport models(=

·
PARTS HUNTER
3,001 Posts
I JUS WANNA BE ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH THE SVT I SAW TODAY

GRRRRR!!
lol
-Derek
Its ok. U know that im blown right? When I left u I hit 9psi. I didn't know I would cause this I was just having a little fun sorry

1 - 20 of 36 Posts