Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Are you interested in a carbon fiber lip for your SVT front bumper?

• Yes

Votes: 112 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 14 11.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Across the Pond
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I live near Fiber Images' place of production. I went there to see about a hood. While I was there, I asked the guy if they had ever thought about making a carbon fiber lip for the SVT. He said that they were booked up on product developement till next year. I was thinking if I could show him that there is enough interest in it, they would make one.

So here's the question:
Would you be interested in buying a carbon fiber lip for your SVT front bumper?

Leave a message so I can contact those of you who are interested if this works.

**EDIT**:Since I see that soo many are interested in it, I now want to see who is willing to put a down payment on one in order for them to start R&D. I know they would need that first in order to make this a possibility.

**UPDATE**:Ok, I went to Fiber Images today(8/24/05). I pitched them the idea and they said they'll think about it. They have the SEMA show coming up soon, so I told them that I could wait for an answer until they were done with that. They were suprised to see that so many were interested. But here's the deal, we all need to pitch in for them to create a mold if they go through with it. The mold could cost upwards of $2000, so a down payment from everyone is needed. Let me know if you are interested in helping out.

**UPDATE**
OK, here's the deal. Fiber Images need a commitment from people that are interested in this lip. A deposite of $150-$200 is needed from each person to get the initial mold made. If you are still interested in buying one of these, PLEASE PM ME. I will take the deposites in to show them we are seriouse about it. I hope that everyone is still going to show support.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have always thought that woudl be the shit. I had a Mugen CF lip on my EG civic, and it looked HOT. I would love one for the SVT.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Yes. Most definitely. Especially if it had some FUNCTION. Think downforce. [;)]

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
You know, I'm dumped three inches, and I never scrape my stock rubber lip, I just gotta be smart and it's fine. I would hope whatever lip it was wouldn't hang too far down and would be functional. That's all I care about. [:)]

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I would be interested in a functional front lip, but not one in CF. If there would be one available with real appreciable downforce (as in it would require stanchions) but of a more durable material, I would be interested in that.

If not, it'll be me and a scroll saw making them out of plywood in my garage...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
thefrush said:
Yes. Most definitely. Especially if it had some FUNCTION. Think downforce. [;)]
Why would you want more downforce on the front of your car?

·
Registered
259 Posts
My wife would like one, now that she has annihilated the rubber one! [:D]

I think it might look cool, but functionality should prevail. And this is one aea of this car's design I think they got waaay wrong.

1) The rubber "lip" (it is correctly known as the lower front valence) is just too damn low and does not clear parking bumpers and scrapes even going into my driverway (at least with my wife not entering at an angle, and entering at 15mph).

2) The header is unbelievably low, in fact the lowest point on the car, and so it bottoms out vs a structural body piece (most cars have these skid plates built in).

So since it is so nonfunctional already you might as well go very low on the lower valence. But why not the design like I have on my 914-6, called a "flex-dam". Can't find a pic, but think of first replacing the existing piece with CF (flexdams were fiberglass), and then attaching a rubber skirt to the bottom to close the gap to the street to any dimension you want (by varying the size of the rubber strip). The rubber does get chewed up pretty bad, but it is very functional, and you get the CF on the top for aesthetics.

Plus the rubber strip is replaceable.

·
Registered
259 Posts
pspringe said:
I think he meant reduce the flow under the car, thereby increasing the flow (pressure) over the car which increases overall downforce.

Bernoulli's Equation seems to work every time...physics is amazing

PV = nrT

·
Across the Pond
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know that everyone is liking this idea. Maybe if I get at least 15 people interest, they might consider putting it into production.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
RB said:
I think he meant reduce the flow under the car, thereby increasing the flow (pressure) over the car which increases overall downforce.

PV = nrT

Not specifically what I was talking about, although that would help. More downforce on the front of the car = more grip at speed. Very important for a FWD...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
RB said:

PV = nrT
PV=nRT is the ideal gas law.

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
Carrera26 said:
I would be interested in a functional front lip, but not one in CF. If there would be one available with real appreciable downforce (as in it would require stanchions) but of a more durable material, I would be interested in that.

If not, it'll be me and a scroll saw making them out of plywood in my garage...
You might be interested in something like this, then. http://www.roadracegear.com/focus.html

pspringe said:
Carrera26 said:
Not specifically what I was talking about, although that would help. More downforce on the front of the car = more grip at speed. Very important for a FWD...
That's why. It's a FWD, keeping the front wheels gripping the road is VERY important. Also, look at any race prepped car, from garage-built to F1, they have sources of downforce at the rear AND front.

·
Registered
259 Posts
pspringe said:
PV=nRT is the ideal gas law.

As Homer would say - DOOH!!! I think UCLA wants my engineering degrees back!

OK, so for absolution I provide this dissertation on the First Law of Thermodynamics...

The first Law of Thermodynamics
The first Law of Thermodynamics, (aka, the Law of Conservation of Energy) is often expressed as: PE+1/2MV2=K

Bernoulli's equation is simply a special case of the above equation. It is generally more convenient to use the density of the air as the mass representation.

Bernoulli's Equation
Thus Bernoulli's equation is: Ps+1/2pV2=K

In words Bernoulli's equation is usually stated "Static Pressure plus Dynamic Pressure is Constant."

Static Pressure - The "Gas Law" Equation
Static pressure (Ps) is the pressure of the air - not due to its motion. This is the pressure we measure with an tire pressure gauge. For example the pressure inside your car's tires might be 30psi. Of course the pressure in the atmosphere is about 14psi at sea level. Therefore, a tire pressure gauge doesn't show the actual air pressure, it shows the amount the air pressure exceeds atmospheric pressure.

Ps depends on the density of the air and the temperature of the air. This is expressed in the gas law equation: Ps=nrT

[ Ps = static pressure - r = gas law constant - T = absolute temperature]

and non-static is:
PV=nrt

again, sorry....

[:eek:)] [:eek:)]

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
I would be down IF the design doesn't stray too much from a somewhat stock looking piece in design.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.