Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I got my focus 4/28/2005, and it took me a few weeks to get the $$$ together to get the parts I needed to set up my semi-system; Pioneer Premier 940MP for head unit, JL Audio 10w3v2 hooked up to an Alpine 800w [v12?] amp for bass. Interior speakers are stock for now.

Now it's less than one year later, and the place I get all of my stuff has a 100% buyback on subs/boxes when the purchase date was less than a year ago - IE, today :D

I called them Monday and they're actually running a deal on 2 JL 10w3v2 subs in JL's PowerWedge box, for $300. I paid them roughly $250 for the 1 sub and box almost a year ago - so it's only gonna cost me $50 or so to get the 2nd sub :D

What do you guys think of the amp/sub combo?

-John

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well i prefer kickers and i prefer 12" subs in a car. but thats not to bad of a deal. Are they last years models or somethin?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're brand new 10w3v2 subs - and I prefer 10s to 12s because I like how they hit harder and they sound better for what i listen to.

As for the deal - it turns out it was $62 and change to do the upgrade. Who knows why they had such a deal - I figured some new version of the sub was coming out, but I dunno :D

-John

·
Registered
107 Posts
thats awesome. Good choices... 10s push air better than 12s.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It works the same with guitar and bass amps... The volume isn't changed by the size of the speaker... the concentration of the sound is. So... same amount of sound being pushed out by a smaller diameter. So when John said he liked them because they hit harder - that is what he is feeling/hearing.

·
Registered
316 Posts
ZX3 Jon said:
thats awesome. Good choices... 10s push air better than 12s.
lol...

anyways congrats to original poster..

I just ordered a deh-780mp, sirius tuner, 12 disk changer, and the PAC steering wheel control interface... Should be here next week..

Next for me is installing the phoenix gold ti elites i have in some kicks, and inverting a sound splinter rl-i 8" using the factory sub box.. powering the comps with 1/2 of a PG xenon 200.4 and giving the rli the other half..

Im going for a SQ daily driver..and think i should be happy with it..

I didnt want to give up my whole hatch to put my rlp in the new ride...plus i dont want to do a Ho alt yet.. i think i should be ok with a stinger power 2 battery.. as long as i go easy on the gains (the 200.4 can really suck up some current)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm not saying that 12s are a bad choice at all... don't get me wrong. I just like the concentration/ push of 10s a little more. The difference is gets more noticeable as the speaker gets bigger... for example a 15" speaker in a cabinet will have a nice bassy sound, however - the PUSH won't necessarily (I'm wording this as diplomatically as possible because a big part of it is the amp hooked up to the speaker) push as hard... mind you - the 15" has a larger frequency cone but in the context of a car stereo we really don't need to reference "hall-like" acoustics.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't think it's that the smaller subs push *more* air - they just push the air faster... hence that 10s hit "harder" than 12s.

-John

·
Registered
107 Posts
DraKhen99 said:
I don't think it's that the smaller subs push *more* air - they just push the air faster... hence that 10s hit "harder" than 12s.

-John
right. so in a given amount of time... more air. I dunno.. I'm used to talking about it in terms of bass amps. I own an 8x10 but had had the option for a 6x12. When I tested them out I liked the 10s better. jeez... lol

·
Registered
316 Posts
lol im sure they do, i had a single rlp 15" 3.5cf @ 28hz.. and it also moved a lot of air..

I cant wait to try a rli out...looks like a beefy little 8"

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Hahahaha [hihi]

You guys crack me up.

1) If you don't mind taking up the extra space, then absolutely the deal is worth it. Those are good subs. Two 10" subs will sound the same as two 12" subs OF THE SAME DESIGN, but the advantage is Two 10s will push more air than One 12, but with a much smaller box than using Two 12s. That's the only advantage.

2) faulkton, good setup going there as well. I'm a SQ dude as well.

3) On the subject of 10s vs 12s vs 15s................. WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG !!!!

Haha, if you want to know more, then do a search. I have written very lengthy essays on this subject more times than I want to count. Do a search.

Bottom line:

The differences in sub design make audible differences, not size.
Also the box is a huge factor as well. (the Q of the box) Also Sealed vs Ported, etc.

A 15" Image Dynamics IDQ15v2 will sound a LOT better than most 10" subs on the market.

Size is not the issue. I can't state this enough!!!! STOP spreading rumors, and do your homework. I did. And that included speaking with some of the top sub manufacturers, such as Image Dynamics, and more importantly TC Sounds, who makes subs for many many brands. They are the brother company to Soundsplinter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts