Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was quickly glazing through the posts and didn't notice any suggestions about bearings.
Have you checked your bearings? One or more may be worn out, which can cause vibration while driving

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think it's the bearings, because they usually start doing noise and you definitely feel the bad bearing when the car is jacked up and you are spinning the wheel with your hands. Also when driving and turning you hear/feel the noise.

So far I have done nothing. The vibration hasn't gone worse. Last time one wheel hub (not front axle drive shaft as I mentioned in previous post) was changed but it didn't change anything. The Ford mechanics did thought that it was the problem but they did not test it on highway where the vibration comes out.

If the vibration will go worse, then I will let the mechanics check the shocks, struts and suspension bushings.

I also don't think the problem is engine mounts because then the vibration should be related to RPMs, but it's not. More related to the speed..

·
Registered
16 Posts
It seems that the vibration actually isn't speed related. In the city sometimes the vibration/rattling is still very noticeable. The strangest thing is that sometimes the car is vibrationg and sometimes it's not. It comes and goes. No idea what can cause this. Shocks/struts go to bad position...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll let you know what's found once I have a chance to have it looked at. The only other issues I've found with the car are the same things everyone else complains about - transmission shudder/jerkiness, road noise, etc.
Its sad that user "the driver" doesn't respond. It would be interesting to know if he/she got managed the problem.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Its sad that user "the driver" doesn't respond. It would be interesting to know if he/she got managed the problem.
Yeah, I hate when that happens. Seems like I just get to know someone and their car from reading old posts, and then they just disappear.

Search: Posts Made By: the driver
Last post:
09-14-2016, 08:19 AM
Replies: 1
Gymkhana 9 - rs rx
Views: 598
Posted By the driver

the driver's Profile:
Last Activity: 11-12-2018 07:12 AM

Whenever that happens I always hope they're just too busy having fun out driving their Focus (or whatever great car they've upgraded it to) to be spending time on some car forum. Even this one, as great as it is.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can you give a thorough break down of 2 specific instances where this has happened? Also all things you’ve done to try to fix this I.e. I was accelerating onto the freeway at 30mph in 3rd gear, shifted into 4th at 45mph and the vibration started and got progressively worse until 60mph and the shift into 5th gear. I’m really interested in this thread, although I haven’t had this problem but if I can help

·
Registered
15,579 Posts
'I also don't think the problem is engine mounts because then the vibration should be related to RPMs, but it's not.'

That can be wildly incorrect. The pass side engine mount can most definitely be speed related in effect and it comes and goes depending on the damage. If any vibration is more to passenger side of the car like floorboard even more so.

Those pass side mounts have so many fail modes one could write a 500 page book on them. Even worse, commonly the aftermarket ones cure nothing or even make it worse or last a month problem fine then do the same.

The pass side mount on Ford inline four engines has been modded too many times to count yet it has been a major problem on the cars for 19 years now. Most of the problem is because they can get it right only with expensive Ford parts and that is enough for Ford, they don't want it fixed permanently, it sells too many parts and that is where Ford has gone today. Why so many things do not get fixed to STAY fixed like in the old days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, nowadays everything is business. Even human body parts and organs.

But,
NEWS! NEWS! NEWS!
Today I took my 2012 Focus to the official Ford dealer for diagnostics. The mechanics inspected my car and did a test drive. They tried wheels from another car and it turns out that the problem is only in wheels. It has mileage about 65000 km (around 40500 miles), original Ford steel wheels. So to solve my problem, all tires and rims must be replaced.

I bought the car used, so I don't know what has happened to the rims. At least the problem is now resolved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have owned the car about 1 year, during the time I have multiple times balanced the wheels, changed summer tires to winter tires, again balanced and never no-one told me that these wheels are completely out of balance and wobbling. And now it finally comes out that they are rubbish. Strange.

It is another topic, but if I replace the old steel wheels to alloys, then do I need bolts that are longer?
What dimensions does Focus mk3 steel wheel original bolts have?
Is there a webpage where I can find which bolts do I need for Focus mk3 2012 ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have owned the car about 1 year, during the time I have multiple times balanced the wheels, changed summer tires to winter tires, again balanced and never no-one told me that these wheels are completely out of balance and wobbling. And now it finally comes out that they are rubbish. Strange.

It is another topic, but if I replace the old steel wheels to alloys, then do I need bolts that are longer?
What dimensions does Focus mk3 steel wheel original bolts have?
Is there a webpage where I can find which bolts do I need for Focus mk3 2012 ?
Any 12x1.5 lugnuts will do ....
Length wise, depends on the wheels and your taste

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

21 - 31 of 31 Posts