Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to get one, but I also want to make sure it's worth 2 bills +.

Could you guys write a small review about your experience with this shifter?

Where you bought it? How it feels during slow/fast shift? Install? Extra vibrations? Pros/cons? Hard to put in reverse when cold? Anything you can think of....just an overall reveiw of this shifter.

Thank you so much for your time :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought mine from Northcoast Performance (sold as FR part). Great price, under $150. Installation on this was simple and easy. It took me only about 30 min, and I was working really slow. No extra vibrations. I think the shifts are smoother (ie, the action of the shifter) than the stock unit. It's not a huge change in throw, but it is a nice shortening. Probably about 30-40% shorter. It takes a small additional effort to shift, but it's barely noticable after a day or so. The reverse lockout ring is made of metal on this one, definitely a nice touch.

Overall, I love it. I would highly recommend it as long as you're not looking for really really small throws. I like it because this is my daily driver. Any other Q's, feel free to ask.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
I have the steeda STS and I bought it from Steeda...LOL I love it!!! It feels great during fast and slow shifts, didn't notice a difference in how hard it was to shift... seemed to me it was the same.

The install took me 15 minutes and was easy as easy can be... the thing that took the longest is you have to cut a little bit of plastic away from the leather boot base so it doesn't hit.

No extra vibrations, no cons, all pros...LOL

It isn't hard to put it in reverse at all... but the only thing I can think of is if you have an 06 you will have to buy the reverse lock-out srping and rubber gromet because the 06 doesn't have one in the the stock shifter... hope this helps a little.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Ripped ST 151 said:
I really want to get one, but I also want to make sure it's worth 2 bills +.

oh and yes, the STS is definately worth the 2 bills.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I like mine; it's more precise so you have to hit the gates a little straighter.
I got mine from Ford Racing, through the dealer, for $167 with tax.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Got one, love it. One of Steeda's few parts they actually make for the Focus, and its great.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
maverickalpha said:
I bought mine from Northcoast Performance (sold as FR part). Great price, under $150. Installation on this was simple and easy. It took me only about 30 min
I agree 100%!!

Here is the link to the page

http://www.nthcoast.com/Products/Focus/parts00/SteedaTriAxShortShifter.html

You want the Mid 2002 - 04 New Style "Bottom Pivot" Shifter
PRICE: $139.95

^^
I am assuming that b/c your name has "ST" in it. The shifter will work on any 05-06 also. (Mine is 06)

150.00 shipped from them, best 150 I have spent on this car. Also if you add the VF transmission mount the combo are BEAUTIFUL!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
now this shifter your talking about from ford racing is the steeda, correct?

if so thats a heck of a deal

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Actually the ford racing shifter IS STEEDA not the other way around. The steeda comes ready to drop right in, I know thr FR one needs to be put in the stock shifter assembly the steeda comes assembled.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I've got one and love it!
What I really like about it is that it's the throw that's short, more so than the shifter. A lot of the "short throws" are more sawn-off than anything, but since I drive with the seat well back a lower shifter wasn't really on my list.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
I wouldn't trade my shifter for anything. I love the way it feels! It's a fairy short throw but at the same time it's not an incredibely short shaft so it is still reachable. It's a very solid feeling component...made of all metal instead of the cheap plastic that comes factory. I also noticed that when in gear it made the whole thing feel quite a bit more solid...like the shifter itself was securely placed in the gear gate. It comes highly recommended in my book--even for 2 Benjamins!

·
Registered
496 Posts
The "Ford Racing STS" is a "Steeda" unit, it drops in and attaches with four screws just like the Steeda one but costs less. It takes less than 30 min to install.
The pivot points are lower as is the shaft so your shifts are shorter.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
yup, the ford is the same as the steeda. get the ford racing shifter fron northcoast. same shifter and will save you $50. deffinately worth it in my opinion. you take it for granted after you get use to it, but pop in that factory shifter after you've had it a while and it will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey man, the Steeda STS is an excellent buy![thumb] It was the first mod that I bought and it went in in about 20mins. It feels quit a bit more solid (less flexing while shifting). I find that the stock shifter feels kind of rubbery when you shift compared to the Steeda. It is shorter in height as well as having a shorter throw.

I do disagree with you guys that are forcing the tyranny to do a faster shift then it wants to do. Shifting faster has nothing to do with the stick. When I shift I push the shifter towards to gear I want and the gear box will take it the rest of the way when its ready. If you force it in all the time you will find that your stick will start to feel kind of grindy, like there is some kind of metal scraping on metal. I stopped forcing faster shifts and now my stick feels nice and thonky. It just drops into gears with out a fuss.

Some of you guys need to learn to become one with you gear box not your shifter!

Take a look at my photo gallery and look at the 1st and 4th pics. These are good examples of how the shifter will look in you car. Just keep in mind that the boots will look very different, mine are hand made by me. I designed them to have a much tighter, cleaner look at the top as well they are real leather as opposed to the stock vinyl crap that comes with the car.

The Mailman 666 over and out.[;)]

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
ive got one and if i drive for like 20 min, it gets black stuff on my hand....from the rubber [:(]

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fl3tCh said:
ive got one and if i drive for like 20 min, it gets black stuff on my hand....from the rubber [:(]
could you explain in a little more detail what you mean?? what's the black stuff?

thanks man :)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i used to think it was just my mouse.. but then i cleaned it, and noticed it evertime i went to work..its not that big of a thing.. it pretty much rubs off.. but it looks kind of like dirt. and it doesnt sho any wear on the knob( i have it in all black)... i have had it for about 2 months now. but it is just like speckles on the palm of my hand.. i love the knob tho!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Fl3tCh said:
i used to think it was just my mouse.. but then i cleaned it, and noticed it evertime i went to work..its not that big of a thing.. it pretty much rubs off.. but it looks kind of like dirt. and it doesnt sho any wear on the knob( i have it in all black)... i have had it for about 2 months now. but it is just like speckles on the palm of my hand.. i love the knob tho!
What are you talking about?! The shifter does not leave dirt on anyones hand. You must be using a aftermarket knob on the Steeda shifter. That does not make the shifter at fault for you getting black speakles on your hand!!!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
im an idiot i meant to say that i have the shitfter/knob...love the shifter, dont like the knob.. i see that i deleted the part where i said that. lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts