Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not me!

My new 2014 SE hatch is getting better with each tank! Current tank is showing me averaging 37.9 mpg over the last 118 miles with 362 miles until empty according to the display.

If I maintain these numbers on this tank I will get 480 miles out of this tank! 480 miles on 12.4 gallons! 37.9 mpg combined (actually 38.7 if you divide 480 by 12.4)! AMAZING!

To be fair though, this is using premium, with about 80% highway driving so far this tank... and on a car with 2700 miles on the odometer (enough for the dct to have learned my habits, but not really in the sweet spot yet either).

Even if this declines some between now and the end of the tank (which is likely with heavier Friday traffic and an increase in city driving over the weekend), my fuel economy has climbed with each tank since I got the car. With a claimed combined mpg of 30 on the sticker, an average combined of over 35 mpg real world is sweet!

I only hope that when she levels out that it stays up there around 36-37 mpg average combined. My 2012 (with an early 2011 build date) was far less impressive thanks to a steady schedule of transmission updates and repairs. She was all over the place for mpg over the 57,000 miles I drove her... Averaging anywhere from 27 mpg a tank to 35 mpg a tank (depending on weather, odometer, proximity to servicing, fuel grade used, etc.) and was rarely consistent for more than a couple of tanks.

[histerical][^][twothumbs][:D][driving][:)~][woot][wiggle][:)]

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Not me!

My new 2014 SE hatch is getting better with each tank! Current tank is showing me averaging 37.9 mpg over the last 118 miles with 362 miles until empty according to the display.

If I maintain these numbers on this tank I will get 480 miles out of this tank! 480 miles on 12.4 gallons! 37.9 mpg combined (actually 38.7 if you divide 480 by 12.4)! AMAZING!

To be fair though, this is using premium, with about 80% highway driving so far this tank... and on a car with 2700 miles on the odometer (enough for the dct to have learned my habits, but not really in the sweet spot yet either).

Even if this declines some between now and the end of the tank (which is likely with heavier Friday traffic and an increase in city driving over the weekend), my fuel economy has climbed with each tank since I got the car. With a claimed combined mpg of 30 on the sticker, an average combined of over 35 mpg real world is sweet!

I only hope that when she levels out that it stays up there around 36-37 mpg average combined. My 2012 (with an early 2011 build date) was far less impressive thanks to a steady schedule of transmission updates and repairs. She was all over the place for mpg over the 57,000 miles I drove her... Averaging anywhere from 27 mpg a tank to 35 mpg a tank (depending on weather, odometer, proximity to servicing, fuel grade used, etc.) and was rarely consistent for more than a couple of tanks.

[histerical][^][twothumbs][:D][driving][:)~][woot][wiggle][:)]
My commute is about 90% highway. I hit around 35-36 mpg during the winter and 37-38 summer, but on 87.

I don't think premium gas is doing much (although this is a contested fact), unless you guys over there have E0 gas (we don't in my area) for premium or something.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I owned both a focus that got an ave. of 32.6mpg. and a C-max that got 44.5mpg. ave. for the same drive. 12 mpg is nothing to laugh about! Granted, this is mostly suburban driving, but does include all traffic conditions and is the total ave. all year long, not just ideal conditions. On the highway, the Focus got about 38+ pretty consistently, while the C-max was at closer to 39+ so not much gain there, but in town driving the Focus got about 28 vs the C-max at 48, BIG gains. So it really is dependent on where you drive and the conditions most encountered.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
It is true that you will get better mpg around town stop and go driving. But for the extra money the hybrid will cost you over the gas model are you really saving money. hmmmm [dunno]

·
Registered
739 Posts
It is true that you will get better mpg around town stop and go driving. But for the extra money the hybrid will cost you over the gas model are you really saving money. hmmmm [dunno]
I saw a research paper that figured out the average length of ownership at which you'd have to own certain hybrids to start saving money. I think the Prius was the best with only 2 years required to start saving money versus a regular gasoline engine. The Volt on the other hand took about 40 years until you'd start saving money. Not sure where the Focus Electric or C-Max were on the list.

It really depends on your driving conditions however like others have mentioned. City driving you will see a huge improvement in a hybrid. Highway not so much.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
How long would it take to recoup the difference??? & you'd be in a hybrid also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The focus does get great gas mileage even in the city! I'm averaging 28.7 MPG all city driving in 15°F weather so i can't complain!

·
Registered
800 Posts
How long would it take to recoup the difference??? & you'd be in a hybrid also.
With the C-max hybrid, the cost wasn't that much higher than the Focus, and it also has better low end torque, so is faster off the line even if it is slower down the road. And no transmission issues! I think the Focus would be great in Hybrid form. Sport, torque and mileage. The Plugin version is a different matter. Now for the Electric Focus, way more torque at the bottom end, more responsive through the middle, but limited to 85 top speed. (I never go that fast, I have gone 80 with no issues. I think the car could go faster, but it is limited electronically to save the motor/batteries.) For cost, after rebates, tax credits, it is going for around 20,000, similar to a well equipped ti Focus, so not really that much more, and far better energy usage so recouping the difference is pretty easy if you drive a lot of short trips such as commuting. Just isn't good for long trips.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
With the C-max hybrid, the cost wasn't that much higher than the Focus, and it also has better low end torque, so is faster off the line even if it is slower down the road. And no transmission issues! I think the Focus would be great in Hybrid form. Sport, torque and mileage. The Plugin version is a different matter. Now for the Electric Focus, way more torque at the bottom end, more responsive through the middle, but limited to 85 top speed. (I never go that fast, I have gone 80 with no issues. I think the car could go faster, but it is limited electronically to save the motor/batteries.) For cost, after rebates, tax credits, it is going for around 20,000, similar to a well equipped ti Focus, so not really that much more, and far better energy usage so recouping the difference is pretty easy if you drive a lot of short trips such as commuting. Just isn't good for long trips.
Do they offer a stick? I'm out,,,,,,

·
Registered
126 Posts
MPG has been my biggest disappointment in owning my Focus.

For the last 3 years i was driving a 99 Saturn SL1 with 230k miles and was pulling 40-42 mpg going to work. Doing the same drive in the Focus is pulling about a 31 mpg avg so far...

·
Registered
800 Posts
Uhmmm. No. The Focus is a bit faster actually.
I was saying off the line, not 0-60, but yes the Focus rated about 7.3seconds, the c-max at 9.7seconds in 0-60 tests. (approx.) But that isn't all that important as that is not normal use. The immediate low end torque is quite handy for merging.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
The electric motor has torque at zero rpms. So off the line it should feel pretty strong. The Focus has always been a fun to drive car that is practical to own. And when I think of fun to drive I don't think hybrid. Then again I would love to own a Tesla.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The electric motor has torque at zero rpms. So off the line it should feel pretty strong. The Focus has always been a fun to drive car that is practical to own. And when I think of fun to drive I don't think hybrid. Then again I would love to own a Tesla.
This^^^^^^^

·
Registered
800 Posts
The Focus has always been a fun to drive car that is practical to own. And when I think of fun to drive I don't think hybrid. Then again I would love to own a Tesla.
True, the Hybrid isn't a fun car for me to drive, But my Focus Electric is! Maybe not a Tesla, but it handles just like the Ti Focus and has all that low end torque.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts