Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, one of my headlights decided to burn itself out today. Stock light, but I suspect some auto store replacement as it isn't an OEM one. So, instead of replacing one, why not just replace both of them?

Realistically my fog lights need replacements too, since the glass is cracked on one end. Switchbacks for the signals are also on the list, and the K rating on them would be imbalanced to the rest of the car which would just push my buttons.

So if they could match, that would be ideal. The majority of the switchbacks appear in the 5000K-6000K range for the white parking/"DLRs", which is fine with me. I don't need my wagon to be super rice with 10000K lights. I don't want to install any HID kits, and I'd rather not wipe out my wallet in general since a new HU just went inside.

Any specific bulbs that would be recommended for the high/low beams? The Sylvania seem to be popular but apparently have a lower lifespan. 9007 bulbs.
(I do understand the necessity of staying in the 60/55W range.)

As for the fogs, opinions on LEDs? These will be more of a cosmetic light as fog is nonexistent where I am really, and its not like they work well currently anyway. As an example, there are some LED models that have something like 13 LEDs at 6000K. Bright enough? As useful as 3000K is for real situations, I hate the yellow look on my specific car.

Any other input is gladly accepted, since I know LEDs are a love/hate relationship.

Also, how beneficial are stop/brake light LEDs? With the stock housings Im not too use I see a huge benefit to them.

2005 ZXW SES, 9007 headlights, H11 fogs for reference.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Lets give this a shot.

"Also, how beneficial are stop/brake light LEDs? With the stock housings Im not too use I see a huge benefit to them"
LEDs in the brake lights are awesome. Just imagine coming home when the sun is going down, making it hard to see. Then you have to hit the brakes, the person behind you will definitely see them. I have them in mine. Just remember that they are reflective housings so you would want an LED that would reflect back to be useful.

"As for the fogs, opinions on LEDs? These will be more of a cosmetic light as fog is nonexistent where I am really, and its not like they work well currently anyway. As an example, there are some LED models that have something like 13 LEDs at 6000K. Bright enough? As useful as 3000K is for real situations, I hate the yellow look on my specific car."

Yeah if you have no need for fog lights at all then you can go with LED. They will light the road up a little but are more for I guess just being able to spot you from a farther distance. Would almost be like a DRL. Just look at a prius. I have never researched LED fog lights as I know they aren't as functional.

"Any specific bulbs that would be recommended for the high/low beams? The Sylvania seem to be popular but apparently have a lower lifespan. 9007 bulbs.
(I do understand the necessity of staying in the 60/55W range.)"

I have had my sylvania bulbs for about a year and half so far. I have not encountered any issues with them, they haven't faded, don't flicker, don't melt my housings. Would buy again for sure.

I have looked at the switchback lights for my fogs, and then wire them as fogs and turn signals. Its a cool concept. Eliminates a bulb i think.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have the reverse and tail lights with LED's. The white reverse LED's are awesome as they are incredibly bright white. Anyone approaching my car definitely sees them. The same is true for the brakes (I have red LED's in the red tails). As freefocus mentioned, anyone behind you definitely sees them also. Another great thing about the LED's is that they are faster responding when the brake is hit than filament. Sure, it's not much faster since it is electrical. But think of it as the filaments require a charging to build up in order for the filament to light up. The LED's turn on immediately when they receive the signal. This is evident when they are in a side by side comparison as you remote lock your doors. You can notice the latency with the filaments vs LED's. This allows anyone seeing your brakes to respond that much quicker. (not much, milliseconds, but still a difference).

Everything in my car is LED's except for the headlamp bulbs (illegal).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would probably run the fogs as DRL type lights, in conjunction with the switchbacks. And the difference in color would just bug me.

I wasn't really considering LED reverse lights, but I could see how the extra light back there would be useful in low light situations.. Something to consider.

Will the LED brake lights work considering the signals/lights/brake lights are all the same bulb? I don't see why not, but the distinguishing between lights on and applying the brakes is what I'm interested in.

I guess the following sounds the closest to what I'd be getting, chime in if something's off.
-Sylvania 9007s (arent there multiple versions of these?)
-LED fogs (13 LED)
-LED switchbacks (60 LED)
-LED reverse
-LED stop/brake

·
Registered
890 Posts
The only thing you need to get if going the led route for the turns is to get two load resistors, one for each bulb. They ate cheap and you can get them at either ebay or superbrightleds.com. they will prevent hyper flashing. Otherwise, 3156 for reverse and 3157 for tails.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Oh and those bulbs are the filament bulb numbers. When looking up for led's get the base equivalent of those.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, already have the resistors lined up for the switchbacks.

If the rears are 3157 technically I could use switchbacks in them I guess.. Not that I would need to or want to with the red tinted housing, but just speculation lol.

Totally unrelated question: Your grille, is that a painted surround you did yourself?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I put in red led's in the tails because I was afraid the whites would actually turn them a bit pinkish in color.

The grill and bottom of my bumper I painted black. If you want to see both the led's lit in the back and the pics of my mod timberline just go to the site in my signature.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Pssh resistors are overrated haha. I go hyperblink.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
I just say I have the fastest blinker now. It really doesn't bother me as much as it did. When I drive someone else's car their blinker seems funny. So slowwww

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont think I could stand the blink like that..

Plus, I'd rather not be pulled over by that "friendly" cop for supposedly having a bulb out.
Happens all the time since my Wrangler has a hyperflash problem occassionally and doesn't have LEDs or anything.

One of my entire foglight housings is trashed after a closer look.. A crack in the glass allowed the inside reflectors to get dirty and rust. May just buy new housings w/ stock bulbs for that, and then go with all the other lights.

·
Registered
890 Posts
You can get a pair of OEM replacements off of eBay for under $50. That's where I got mine

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Wouldn't you just buy the glass cover? Although I guess you would be better off redoing it all.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Yeah that's what I meant to say. Didn't come out like that.

New is good as well. Fresh look.

So what have you ended up getting so far? Or plans?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the entirety of today was dedicated to fixing up my front end, and installing a new head unit. Needed to rebolt my front bumper, reseat and adjust by headlights, all that stuff. Along with doing the foglight mod.

This car was an old fleet car and has seen better days.. Will order my bulb setup when I go pick up my paycheck tomorrow. Will be something like this:
-switchbacks (w/ resistors)
-Sylvania 9007s
-LED H11 fogs
-LED 3157 rears

Don't think I really need the LED reverse lights, but I guess we'll see when we get there. Only a couple bucks either way. Oh, and I forgot a set of T10s for the upper stop bar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just read somewhere that cruise control runs through the rear brake light circuit, and that running LEDs will disable cruise control unless the right resistors are installed. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've heard the same. But I can't tell you from experience as I don't have it. Sorry

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Never heard but I guess it could be plausible. Why would running LEDs do it? They put out less of a charge. So it should only shut off when you hit the brakes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts