Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would love to buy a electric focus... lets just to it lasts longer then the cars that were in the movie "Who killed the electric car?" wich is a great story and its all true

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Electric cars are still not at a place in development where I could consider getting one but they a definitively moving in the right direction. Maybe someday when they have longer ranges and quicker recharge times, I can own one but until then, I am stuck with my internal combustion engine.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
not to mention the battery's cost when you replace them. its like ever 5-10 years having to swap out the engine/trans as far as costs go.

also electricity isn't all that clean yet. still alot of coal being burned in the usa and still some what in canada but i think we are mostly nuclear and hydro electric.

the car itself might not emit pollutants but making the electricity still does. and the batterys are not exactly enviroment friendly.

once they make battery packs last a good 15-20 years, can be 100% charged in 1-2 hours and can go for 500km+ on a charge ill look into one.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
not to mention the battery's cost when you replace them. its like ever 5-10 years having to swap out the engine/trans as far as costs go.

also electricity isn't all that clean yet. still alot of coal being burned in the usa and still some what in canada but i think we are mostly nuclear and hydro electric.

the car itself might not emit pollutants but making the electricity still does. and the batterys are not exactly enviroment friendly.

once they make battery packs last a good 15-20 years, can be 100% charged in 1-2 hours and can go for 500km+ on a charge ill look into one.

..Annnnd consider the price. It's not like you could buy the "Focus Electric" for ...$18,200 (when you could by a base Focus for that money)

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
right, at this time theres still no advantage to buying an electric car unless your only reason is to buy the Aston Martin looking focus electric (looks good to me). As mike said, just making the batteries is inefficient. Production uses coal to refine all that fun stuff, then shipping the materials etc.

range sucks and will continue to suck with electric cars. those batteries produce roughly 1/3 the amount of energy needed to move the car the same distance as a gas powered one. Add more batteries you say? those are heavy batteries and guess what, heavy cars need more energy to move. at that point its just way too expensive to be worth it.

As far as fast recharge times... that wears the battery life down pretty bad so plan on replacing it soon.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
All that has been said is very true. But the internal combustion engine didn't really make since over the horse when it first came out either. It won't happen over night but there is potential for the electric car to replace gasoline in the future given enough time and technology to develop. It's cars like the Focus Electric that get people interested and develops the technology. You just have to start somewhere to get the ball rolling.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/faq
Check this out. The new Tesla S. Has an option for 3 different battery packs, ranging from 160 miles to 300 miles. There still pretty expensive. But it is being done. On a daily driver, if I never had to stop at a gas station ever again , would be heaven. And then tear up the road when I had the need for speed in my Turbo ZX 3.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Tesla did.

He fraught so hard for AC current that it disrupted Edison's DC station and EV movement. I am just guessing. Please tell me I am wrong or I am going to hell!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Electric cars are still not at a place in development where I could consider getting one but they a definitively moving in the right direction. Maybe someday when they have longer ranges and quicker recharge times, I can own one but until then, I am stuck with my internal combustion engine.
All that has been said is very true. But the internal combustion engine didn't really make since over the horse when it first came out either. It won't happen over night but there is potential for the electric car to replace gasoline in the future given enough time and technology to develop. It's cars like the Focus Electric that get people interested and develops the technology. You just have to start somewhere to get the ball rolling.
What has been said is marginally true. The focus is electric is a bad example of a electric car. Wasn't designed from the ground up to be electric and does not use all the technology available to make it the best driving vehicle, unlike the tesla s.

Considering how much $$$$$ you will save in maintenance and gas (if you drive city) the tesla s for 70 grand is comparable to a 50 grand petroleum powered car. Not to mention all the handling benefits, acceleration, and refinement vs gas.

And ps most people who buy electric cars and hybrids don't give a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] about the environmental impact, as most electric cars cause a hell of a lot more environmental damage to produce them then gasoline equivalents.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone ever calculated the cost of a new battery pack for any of these electrics ? They don't last forever. & what about new electric motors ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone ever calculated the cost of a new battery pack for any of these electrics ? They don't last forever. & what about new electric motors ?
Less then the cost of a new engine or transmission. Tesla, a proper company guarantees their batteries for something like 7/8 years.

Considering my 07 2.0L focus gets 20-23 mpg in the city and gas costs $5 a gallon plus it has 15% ethanol an all electric car is a very attractive option. Tesla should be coming out with a cheap electric car for 30 grand soon.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
Less then the cost of a new engine or transmission. Tesla, a proper company guarantees their batteries for something like 7/8 years.

Considering my 07 2.0L focus gets 20-23 mpg in the city and gas costs $5 a gallon plus it has 15% ethanol an all electric car is a very attractive option. Tesla should be coming out with a cheap electric car for 30 grand soon.
So, $500-ish?

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
Have any of you looked at the Tesla Model X? It's supposed to be a crossover, but it looks like it's more around the size of my C-Max or a new Escape. I wouldn't really call it an SUV because it's far too low to the ground. It's more like a pregnant hatch back- without the hatch back from what I can tell right now.

http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts