Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

w/ my magic bag
There are reliable DCTs (as reliable as they can be, we all know they have drawbacks), but they're primarily wet. DCTs feel different. Different isn't necessarily bad.

Furthermore, I knew it was a dry DCT back when I bought the car. I had never owned a non-manual prior to the Focus, thought of course I had driven a variety of cars with traditional autos, as well as a CVT or two. The DPS6 most certainly did not feel especially odd, knowing what it was. Most anyone will tell you that a fresh clutch pack and learning reset leaves the DPS6 feeling pretty smooth; that's how it felt new.

That's because a new DPS6 - whether in a new car or with a new clutch pack and learning reset - drives very well. Of course, during this time it's riding the clutch and revving a bit higher; shifts are less aggressive and the computer isn't trying to be as smart (which leads to worse fuel economy and more wear on the clutch plates).

In hindsight, the only mistake the average consumer made in purchasing a Focus or Fiesta with the DPS6 was believing in and trusting Ford. Maybe we should always assume a company is trying to screw us over when they come up with any (supposed) improvement in technology, but that's not how the average person is wired. We assume we aren't being lied to. At the very least, we assume that a company will eventually get caught if they're lying, and that it's in their best interests not to screw us over (thereby avoiding lawsuits, bad press, and generating brand loyalty).

Anyone who claims the average person should have simply known the DPS6 was going to be trouble is a condescending asshat who can't look outside of their own narrow perspective.
The vehicles I drove had less then 20 miles on them, most had 5-10 miles on them. I found the focus & fiesta's shifted different then the auto's in the mustang's, ect. Our shop did all the intransit damage repair for the n/w.

Registered
As a consumer we always should keep in mind that we should try our very best not to be beta-testers for the corporation.
Someone has to test the new tech or it'll never go anywhere. Sometimes the new tech is awesome and sometimes it's a dumpster fire. And yeah, no one wants to deal with the bugs, but someone ends up doing it, anyway.

It's not about us skeptics being condescending, it's about being an educated consumer.
And this is my primarily issue with anyone who seems to think that everyone should have just known the DPS6 was going to be a full-on disaster. Being skeptical is one thing; acting like everyone everywhere should have the same technical knowledge and experience on which to base your personal skepticism is condescending and shows a total lack of objectivity.

This is in fact what's wrong with consumerism right now. We're so good at picking up the stand-out features of a car, aka the touchscreen size, cup sizes, moonroof size, hands-free controls - that we forgot to ask if the car could still do it's basic function of being a reliable transportation (for most of us anyways). This is why we should always be diligent when dealing with corporations.
You've literally made my point for me. The reason we (the global "we", not necessarily me personally, as it pertains to everything you listed) care about those things is because, by and large, cars have been doing their same basic function - with a great deal of reliability - for decades.

As a model in the US, the Focus has been around for what, nearly 20 years? With little exception - and prior to the MK3 equipped with the DPS6 - it has been very good at what it does that entire time. So with each new generation, it's about offering something that makes it stand out: styling, performance, bells and whistles.

The DPS6 was meant to be a performance enhancement, just like the MK3 redesign offered new style, and SYNC (which is awful in every way) was supposed to be a bell and/or whistle. While it may be reasonable to question the enhancements, it is not unreasonable to assume that the basics are still covered. Furthermore, it is not unreasonable to make these assumptions until proven otherwise...time will tell. And time did tell, but to assume that everyone was just magically tuned into the tiny part of the internet where folks were starting to talk about widespread problems with their DPS6 is unreasonable. Especially when the bigger parts of the internet (auto blogs and magazines) hadn't even mentioned it, but instead praised the Fiesta and Focus for what they were.

Overall, I don't disagree with you. Ford would sell us a flaming turd pile for the cost of a Ferrari if they thought we'd buy it. But it was (and still is) perfectly reasonable to assume any company is going to at least do the minimum to keep themselves out of litigation, avoid bad press, and retain or increase brand loyalty.

The vehicles I drove had less then 20 miles on them, most had 5-10 miles on them. I found the focus & fiesta's shifted different then the auto's in the mustang's, ect. Our shop did all the intransit damage repair for the n/w.
A hydraulic auto and DCT (wet or dry) aren't the same thing. They're going to feel different. A manual feels different, too; my point is that "different" is not the same as "bad".

Registered
Starting the process of getting Ford to buy back my car. Not really a big deal for them since I may be buying a Ranger if they do go through with it.

Registered
Starting the process of getting Ford to buy back my car. Not really a big deal for them since I may be buying a Ranger if they do go through with it.

What year is your car & how many miles are on it? I ask because after all of the recent articles the thought has crossed my mind as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
With today's Nissan, you're going to need MORE than a 100000 mile warranty. Nissan's with the CVT transmissions are considered, by the automotive community, as some of the MOST troublesome vehicles on the road! Looks like you "jumped out of the frying pan into the fire". GOOD LUCK!!!

w/ my magic bag
At least BMW was smart enough so you could convert a SMG (send money Gerhard) trans to a manual......

41 - 49 of 49 Posts