Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
I feel this on many levels. Interested on what you did, and if you still got the hatch. How's it holding up?

Yes sir, I still have it. With everything in the news recently about the DCT & Ford knowingly selling them anyways, I’m just curious to see what (if anything) might happen as far as recalls or being compensated etc.

But for just going back & forth to work, the dang car gets 30mpg city & looks sporty + it’s paid for, so I just can’t justify trading it or having Carvana take it & then also having to pay 12k out-of-pocket for an ST & get worse MPGs & a higher insurance rate.

So at 40k miles, my car should have a ton of life left in it & I’m just going to keep it as my daily. Don’t get me wrong, I love how the ST & RS models look, however is daily driving a performance turbo car a good economical decision? Quite the opposite actually.

I say this now & then next week on my commutes I’ll see an ST or RS in traffic & be wanting one again because of how great they look. Lol

For example, I was over the ST & then last week I saw a grey one & had to have it. Lol

Same thing with the RS. I was done with them & then noticed a guy local to me bought a white one & now started looking at the ads again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Nissan was forced to add planetaries and clutches to CVT to make them seem to shift like a standard ATX now, they really get up and go MUCH better but they still have not made the overall trans last as long as it should.

Drive one, you'll be surprised as long as it is running right. You get a kickdown gear and upshift that seem like normal.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
Yes sir, I still have it. With everything in the news recently about the DCT & Ford knowingly selling them anyways, I’m just curious to see what (if anything) might happen as far as recalls or being compensated etc.

But for just going back & forth to work, the dang car gets 30mpg city & looks sporty + it’s paid for, so I just can’t justify trading it or having Carvana take it & then also having to pay 12k out-of-pocket for an ST & get worse MPGs & a higher insurance rate.

So at 40k miles, my car should have a ton of life left in it & I’m just going to keep it as my daily. Don’t get me wrong, I love how the ST & RS models look, however is daily driving a performance turbo car a good economical decision? Quite the opposite actually.

I say this now & then next week on my commutes I’ll see an ST or RS in traffic & be wanting one again because of how great they look. Lol

For example, I was over the ST & then last week I saw a grey one & had to have it. Lol

Same thing with the RS. I was done with them & then noticed a guy local to me bought a white one & now started looking at the ads again.

Just remember & don't forget the rs has a open deck block.......Basically you'll see it, just a matter of time.

Reactions: Pokerrun388

·
Registered
116 Posts
wanted to get rid of my 15 but what i would get in trade in isn't worth losing out on just to get rid of it. I have the extended warranty with it and only sitting at 65k miles now. lesson learned. was funny to see the previous owner had it in twice for the transmission, now twice with me with a return trip in the near future. Tried to get some help from Ford and the only option seems to be to lawyer up and hope they side with you.

As of now it's going to be my last ford after owning well over a dozen in my lifetime.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
wanted to get rid of my 15 but what i would get in trade in isn't worth losing out on just to get rid of it. I have the extended warranty with it and only sitting at 65k miles now. lesson learned. was funny to see the previous owner had it in twice for the transmission, now twice with me with a return trip in the near future. Tried to get some help from Ford and the only option seems to be to lawyer up and hope they side with you.

As of now it's going to be my last ford after owning well over a dozen in my lifetime.
Kinda bad to lump all Ford products thanx to the dct. Same as GM, Chrysler, Toyota....Really best to shop by the category/class your looking at, vs the manufacturer.....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Kinda bad to lump all Ford products thanx to the dct. Same as GM, Chrysler, Toyota....Really best to shop by the category/class your looking at, vs the manufacturer.....
I'm guessing they're referring more to the fact that Ford knowingly used a defective transmission, lied about it, blamed the customers for driving it wrong, and have shown every indication of abandoning customers who purchased a Fiesta or Focus.

So it's more that Ford has treated us like dirt than saying all Ford products are bad simply because the DPS6 was a dumpster fire.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It is EXACTLY about being treated like dirt. We tend not to trust people who haven't been straight with us before. "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." Well, we've been "fooled" by Ford already. If it happens again, wouldn't we all feel like complete idiots?

I suppose that we can have some faith that there will be some increased scrutiny that Ford will be living under (As well as other manufacturers for similar issues.)

For my part, it is unlikely that I will buy another Ford product for a while. (Though, I suppose, including the Focus, I technically own 3, since my father's F-150 and Mustang Convertible are in my name. Both of those are much older vehicles though, and have nothing even remotely resembling warranty on them.)

·
Registered
350 Posts
For my part, it is unlikely that I will buy another Ford product for a while.
Yep, which sucks. I genuinely like my Focus except for the transmission. I swear, Ford would save money if they'd just offer to replace it with the customer's choice of the 5-speed MTX-75 or some slushbox that will mate up our 2.0L naturally aspirated engine (all of the other non-diesel engines are EcoBoosts, I think).

I don't think the 6F15 automatic transmission found in the 1.0L Focus would work for the 2.0L Focus due to the 15's lower torque capacity, but the 6F35 found in the Escape and Fusion might work.

·
Registered
963 Posts
It helps that I'm not pissed bc I have a 5spd, but I'd buy another Ford. The Escape and the Fusion have decent enough quality ratings, and I'd buy slightly used ones to take advantage of resale values.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yep, which sucks. I genuinely like my Focus except for the transmission. I swear, Ford would save money if they'd just offer to replace it with the customer's choice of the 5-speed MTX-75 or some slushbox that will mate up our 2.0L naturally aspirated engine (all of the other non-diesel engines are EcoBoosts, I think).

I don't think the 6F15 automatic transmission found in the 1.0L Focus would work for the 2.0L Focus due to the 15's lower torque capacity, but the 6F35 found in the Escape and Fusion might work.
I'd be happy if they just gave me all of the parts needed to swap it myself. Manual or automatic.

I'd prefer a manual and would have bought one in the first place but they didn't have any in town when we bought her Focus. Should have waited.

As it stands we'll most likely be on our 5th set of clutches at 100k and she will get another 20 thousand after that.

If the 20k clutch change interval holds that is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's been a few years of crap I got from them to make me feel that way

My 15 Focus and wife's 16 Fiesta had tranny issues, not to even mention the multitude of recalls on the 15.

Got my wife a 18 Escape it it is completely a POS when it comes to build quality.

Airbags in my Ranger and Mustang.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I’m at the point where I want to part ways with it. I could lie & tell you guys that the shuddering doesn’t bother me, but the truth is that is drives me nuts, especially when I need to get around someone. I’m also very concerned about the long-term reliability on this transmission w/ a car that has horrible resale value.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
When i researched the Focus in 2012 there were red flags all over the DCT and people still jumped all over them for a few years but checking this forum for less than 10 minutes convinced me to avoid it and bought the only 5 speed on the lot that day.

48,000 miles and had a couple computer updates,recalls on the door latches and the gas tank issue and had a leaky rear seal otherwise the car has been fine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When i researched the Focus in 2012 there were red flags all over the DCT and people still jumped all over them for a few years but checking this forum for less than 10 minutes convinced me to avoid it and bought the only 5 speed on the lot that day.
I think it's all about doing research. If there are red flags and people still go for it, well, I guess trust has been placed wrongly then.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think it's all about doing research. If there are red flags and people still go for it, well, I guess trust has been placed wrongly then.
Blame the victim, eh? Those idiots back in 2012 should have just known the DPS6 was a bad transmission!

I mean, that's ridiculous. But surely by 2013, right? There were dozens - dozens! - of posts on the big wide internet talking about issues with the DPS6! I mean, how could someone not read the complaints of a handful of strangers on the anonymous internet and simply know the DPS6 was a dumpster fire?

Okay, so maybe by 2014? Now we're getting somewhere! I mean, obviously the Focus Fanatics forum was a household name at that point, right? All of those other no-name websites - Car and Driver, Jalopnik, Motor1, Top Gear - talking about how much fun it is and touting the DPS6 as a responsive transmission with great fuel economy, they would never show up before the FF forum in a Google search!

Give me a break. I get that some people knew that the DPS6 was a dry DCT and had the industry experience or technical knowledge to be skeptical from the beginning. But they are the minority, though certainly a loud, condescending, and obnoxious minority.

But your average person does not have that expertise or knowledge. The Focus was a good car for years. It is completely reasonable to expect that quality to continue. The average consumer looking at an econobox did not expect Ford to knowingly use a defective transmission and lie outright about it. And even if they had gotten a whiff of the issues with the DPS6, 2015 brought a refresh and salespeople were coached to tell customers that the issues had been fixed (and in their defense, the salespeople are also totally clueless).

Only an asshat puts the blame for the dumpster fire that is the DPS6 on the customer. Ford lied, end of story.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Blame the victim, eh? Those idiots back in 2012 should have just known the DPS6 was a bad transmission!

I mean, that's ridiculous. But surely by 2013, right? There were dozens - dozens! - of posts on the big wide internet talking about issues with the DPS6! I mean, how could someone not read the complaints of a handful of strangers on the anonymous internet and simply know the DPS6 was a dumpster fire?

Okay, so maybe by 2014? Now we're getting somewhere! I mean, obviously the Focus Fanatics forum was a household name at that point, right? All of those other no-name websites - Car and Driver, Jalopnik, Motor1, Top Gear - talking about how much fun it is and touting the DPS6 as a responsive transmission with great fuel economy, they would never show up before the FF forum in a Google search!

Give me a break. I get that some people knew that the DPS6 was a dry DCT and had the industry experience or technical knowledge to be skeptical from the beginning. But they are the minority, though certainly a loud, condescending, and obnoxious minority.

But your average person does not have that expertise or knowledge. The Focus was a good car for years. It is completely reasonable to expect that quality to continue. The average consumer looking at an econobox did not expect Ford to knowingly use a defective transmission and lie outright about it. And even if they had gotten a whiff of the issues with the DPS6, 2015 brought a refresh and salespeople were coached to tell customers that the issues had been fixed (and in their defense, the salespeople are also totally clueless).

Only an asshat puts the blame for the dumpster fire that is the DPS6 on the customer. Ford lied, end of story.
sarcasm is the best response. Ford (billion dollar corporation) knowingly sold this POS. That's the beginning and the end of this story. Go on a Ford dealer website and they are still selling these junk cars as "certified"

·
w/ my magic bag
29,455 Posts
One drive in one of the 1st ones back in '11 is all it took for me, yea I did drive a few others btw......I'd think ppl would do a test drive & wonder why is shifts the way it does. I wouldn't care what others say, this being a mass produced product for the pubic that wants a reliable vehicle, Why would anyone driving this, think thats the way it is?

Reactions: RyanLee036

·
Registered
842 Posts
I’m trying to think back to 2014, when I bought mine. I’m not sure why I didn’t pick up on it, during my test drive? Maybe I was just excited because it was new & I liked how it looked? Maybe I was just stupid? In any case, sometimes the DCT isn’t so noticeable with a short drive around the block & back, however the more you drive them, especially in stop & go traffic & on surface streets, the more jerky it becomes. Oh well.... lesson learned. Should’ve bought the ST1, which at that time was very close in price.

·
Registered
350 Posts
One drive in one of the 1st ones back in '11 is all it took for me, yea I did drive a few others btw......I'd think ppl would do a test drive & wonder why is shifts the way it does. I wouldn't care what others say, this being a mass produced product for the pubic that wants a reliable vehicle, Why would anyone driving this, think thats the way it is?
There are reliable DCTs (as reliable as they can be, we all know they have drawbacks), but they're primarily wet. DCTs feel different. Different isn't necessarily bad.

Furthermore, I knew it was a dry DCT back when I bought the car. I had never owned a non-manual prior to the Focus, thought of course I had driven a variety of cars with traditional autos, as well as a CVT or two. The DPS6 most certainly did not feel especially odd, knowing what it was. Most anyone will tell you that a fresh clutch pack and learning reset leaves the DPS6 feeling pretty smooth; that's how it felt new.

I’m trying to think back to 2014, when I bought mine. I’m not sure why I didn’t pick up on it, during my test drive? Maybe I was just excited because it was new & I liked how it looked? Maybe I was just stupid? In any case, sometimes the DCT isn’t so noticeable with a short drive around the block & back, however the more you drive them, especially in stop & go traffic & on surface streets, the more jerky it becomes. Oh well.... lesson learned. Should’ve bought the ST1, which at that time was very close in price.
That's because a new DPS6 - whether in a new car or with a new clutch pack and learning reset - drives very well. Of course, during this time it's riding the clutch and revving a bit higher; shifts are less aggressive and the computer isn't trying to be as smart (which leads to worse fuel economy and more wear on the clutch plates).

In hindsight, the only mistake the average consumer made in purchasing a Focus or Fiesta with the DPS6 was believing in and trusting Ford. Maybe we should always assume a company is trying to screw us over when they come up with any (supposed) improvement in technology, but that's not how the average person is wired. We assume we aren't being lied to. At the very least, we assume that a company will eventually get caught if they're lying, and that it's in their best interests not to screw us over (thereby avoiding lawsuits, bad press, and generating brand loyalty).

Anyone who claims the average person should have simply known the DPS6 was going to be trouble is a condescending asshat who can't look outside of their own narrow perspective.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That's because a new DPS6 whether in a new car or with a new clutch pack and learning reset - drives very well. Of course, during this time it's riding the clutch and revving a bit higher; shifts are less aggressive and the computer isn't trying to be as smart (which leads to worse fuel economy and more wear on the clutch plates).

In hindsight, the only mistake the average consumer made in purchasing a Focus or Fiesta with the DPS6 was believing in and trusting Ford. Maybe we should always assume a company is trying to screw us over when they come up with any (supposed) improvement in technology, but that's not how the average person is wired. We assume we aren't being lied to. At the very least, we assume that a company will eventually get caught if they're lying, and that it's in their best interests not to screw us over (thereby avoiding lawsuits, bad press, and generating brand loyalty).

Anyone who claims the average person should have simply known the DPS6 was going to be trouble is a condescending asshat who can't look outside of their own narrow perspective.
As a consumer we always should keep in mind that we should try our very best not to be beta-testers for the corporation. It's not about us skeptics being condescending, it's about being an educated consumer. Yes a car should serve the basic functions of A-B, like a laptop, smartphone, kitchen appliances are since it's so pedestrian in society. How much does a car cost though, compared to most household stuff? I suppose more due diligence should be required?

This is in fact what's wrong with consumerism right now. We're so good at picking up the stand-out features of a car, aka the touchscreen size, cup sizes, moonroof size, hands-free controls - that we forgot to ask if the car could still do it's basic function of being a reliable transportation (for most of us anyways). This is why we should always be diligent when dealing with corporations.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts