Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
traded the POS for a 2018 rogue sport got a certified pre owned with a 100000 mi warranty on powertrain. So over the recallzilla!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
15,480 Posts
X2, other than the insults, the CVT will likely never make that warranty, many didn't even make the 60K warranty. CVT is to Nissan what DCT is to Ford, a millstone they cannot fix. Worse actually, as they dropped standard type ATX completely across the entire car line, only to have to add pieces of its' tech to CVT trying to make them last longer than 15 minutes.

The later ones are better but they still fail by the thousands. Got a '17 Altima that is already showing the edge of CVT trouble at 40K miles.

Rogues show a lot of electrical issues too. The new tech for self driving cars is cheap unreliable crap that does not work for spit. Lots of complaints about the self braking not working as advertised.

Nissan is nowhere near the company it was in quality pre-Y2K, they put the CEO in jail but not nearly fast enough, his vision for Nissan was 'cars for the poor unwashed masses', make them so cheap anybody could have one but you had to buy one every 2 years to keep it running. The Yugo of Japanese cars now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not gonna lie, that's a bit disappointing.

So many manufacturers like Toyotas, Hondas, KIAs with better DCTs and yet a Nissan is ultimately what you choose

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wasn't. I traded my 13 that had 3 clutch replacements for a 2019 Jetta auto. I hated it. Not the transmission, though I will say 8 gears is just too many. I had it 4 months and hated it so much that I traded it for a 2018 Focus. With a DCT. I must be a glutton for punishment but I just love everything else about the Focus too much, and the DCT too when it actually works properly. Which, fingers crossed, it has been so far. *knocks on wood*

·
Registered
464 Posts
[ninja]besides nissan, Honda sure uses a lot of cvt's
Not alot, but they're having problems too. I feel like a lot of Hondas in general have transmission problems regardless if they're traditional autos or CVTs.

But shoot, if I wanted ultimate reliability, I'd get a '98 camry and never look back.

·
FF Affiliate
30,244 Posts
If you liked the Focus should of tried my Custom DCT Tune , I have had great success with greatly improving the shudder or curing it and much more

Tom

·
Registered
15,480 Posts
When I said what I did about the Ford millstone I meant Ford themselves, just to be clear. It doesn't surprise me that somebody who would take the time to detail out software could find a better way to engage those clutches.

The problem with CVT is that it strands you whoppingly more than standard ATX, when one of the latter broke you commonly could get home in another gear that maybe was not broken. With CVT all goes through that drive interface, ergo, once it is flawed you are pretty much walking, that is all there is to it. The walking part or whatever other result there ALWAYS sticks in your memory more to keep you pissed off.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hopefully Nissan improved their CVT, but I hated the rental Altima I had a few years ago. It felt like a boat when accelerating. It hit the gas and hear the engine make noise, and the CVT would lazily get the car moving.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Out of the fry pan and into the Fire , I just bought my Wife a new DCT , to good a deal to pass up

Tom
I own 2, my wife's 14 Titanium that now has 137000 miles (78000 miles on revised DCT clutch and 0 issues) and my 17 SEL with 57000 miles and 0 issues from the day I bought it new. What did my wife trade in on the 14 Titanium when we bought it new? A '12 Rogue. When the DCT overheats it stops moving. Usually it will do that when you turn onto a main road. That car nearly got us killed twice and Nissan North America had it for 4 1/2 months because the transmission cooler it needed was on back order in Japan and it was deemed unsafe to drive. Nissan came to the conclusion that all of their CVT cars needed the cooler, they were normally only on the AWD cars at the time.

·
Registered
15,480 Posts
Yep they ALL need that cooler but that alone does not fix all the CVT issues.

One major problem is that the basic design needs like 800+ psi oil pressure to keep the pulleys tight enough and many more oil pumps wear out faster not making the normal 200 psi of normal type ATX. Another is the cheap crap heat treats Nissan uses, it allows the pulley slide balls and grooves to wear like lightning on some of them and then the pulley fails to then tear the chain up. That chain has to have 100% perfect support at all times or it instantly converts into like 500 little bitty pieces of key. What a freakin' mess.

They got so many complaints about how the CVT works, and the transmissions failed so much they started putting a planetary and clutch pack in them to simulate more ATX like 'shifting gears', with the engine revving and then dropping down people think they are going faster and the extra parts offload some of the pulleys moving around so much to hopefully last longer.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think about getting rid of my DCT Focus a lot but I actually still like the Focus Hatch so idk what I want to do longterm. I’ve thought about an ST, RS & Escape but I’m just not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think about getting rid of my DCT Focus a lot but I actually still like the Focus Hatch so idk what I want to do longterm. I’ve thought about an ST, RS & Escape but I’m just not sure.
I feel this on many levels. Interested on what you did, and if you still got the hatch. How's it holding up?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,368 Posts
Hopefully Nissan improved their CVT, but I hated the rental Altima I had a few years ago. It felt like a boat when accelerating. It hit the gas and hear the engine make noise, and the CVT would lazily get the car moving.
Nissan has one of the worst cvt's out there......So the OP went from a dct equipped foci to a Nissan cvt.....Some just take longer to learn.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,368 Posts
Ford smarten up & dropped the cvt after 3 yrs in the Freestyle....IDK why they kept the dct for so long.....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts