Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've searched all over the place but I see to find only a few threads on zetecs. I'm almost ready to do the transmission swap but I don't want to be the guinea pig. Has anyone done this before on a duratec? Here are all the parts I have so far, I got them following Illinipo's thread[|)]

F2 Flywheel conversion kit.

Spec III 6 puck clutch. (To be honest, kind of skeptical on the quality of this, the package looks like, ".... can I have some cancer sticks, a package of condoms and a lighter from the shelf... Oh! and a spec clutch too please")

The rest of the stuff

I was wondering if it's normal to have some play in the clutch/flywheel. As you can see in the pics it does not fit entirely and since I don't have experience in flywheel conversion kits I don't know.... Anybody?

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Wow, looks like you've got a really good start. Mines on hold until my ATX is shot. :> Not to sure on the clutch, but from what I've heard from people with spec... They are great.

·
Registered
891 Posts
you may laugh at the clutch but i have one in my SPI and i love it.

good luck with the swap. some ppl have done it here.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts

I saw this pic and couldnt help but slappin a big smile on my face [:D] ah, good memories lol that box looks strangely familiar....

the clutch is ok from what it looks like, you want 1/16" or so around the disk to the surface where the PP mounts

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
also looks like you got a BLUE clutch position sensor, you will need to get a RED one if you want to turn off cruise with the clutch. Please do this I have almost caused 2 major accidents on the highway in just a month of driving.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^ what do you exactly mean by that? like the cruise control? My car is not equipped with that and I also have another red thing, is just that that all other sensors are kept in my house so they get less dust while I do the swap. I'll take a pic later today and posted to see if you can help me out.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
woah i also just realized your brake pedal is separate from the clutch! that is different.

If your car doesnt have cruise the dont worry about it

basically if i am in cruise and I put the clutch in then my RPMs will climb pretty quickly all the way to fuel cut if i let it, but when it happens it freaks me out so I SLAM on the brakes and people behind me start swerving everywhere, happened twice now VERY scary, especially the second time i had to cut in front of a 53' fedex truck to get in the shoulder...

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh and just for the records, I got all sensors, pedals, starter, lines and everything you see in there not new for somewhat under $300 bucks at a junk yard. Not very cheap but not that expensive either.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
woah i also just realized your brake pedal is separate from the clutch! that is different.

If your car doesnt have cruise the dont worry about it

basically if i am in cruise and I put the clutch in then my RPMs will climb pretty quickly all the way to fuel cut if i let it, but when it happens it freaks me out so I SLAM on the brakes and people behind me start swerving everywhere, happened twice now VERY scary, especially the second time i had to cut in front of a 53' fedex truck to get in the shoulder...

Wow! that really would scare me lol. I'll be like "what the hell! my car is possessed [eek]

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
it is not that bad it can be done for under $800, if I hadnt bought the Torsen thats how much mine would have been.

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^ Me too, I spent like $280+ on all parts (shifter, lines, cables etc) $400 for the tranny (11k miles) and I bet I could have find one cheaper. I spent $200+ on the lightweight conversion flywheel and final drive, $400+ on the clutch and I'm saving for the torsen. So yeah, Illinipo is right. You could do it for $800 if you do the labor.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Ya it was fun......

Just keep a wrench handy you never know when you will need it.

(Inside Joke for Illinipo)

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
wait you got a 4.06 gear?? man that is going to be fun to do without a press... good luck...

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Question: in that box, what is the black bracket between the brake fluid res and the clutch master cyl???

i had it but couldnt figure out where it went so i just left it out...

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a friend that has a friend (lol) that has a transmission shop, so I'm going to get help from him to install the final drive and the diff (once I get it). And for that bracket, I assume you mean the one with the letters T.G. in there, right? that's the base where the shifter base sits. I don't know if I'll need it but I got it as a package [hihi]

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, finally I found the crank position sensor but I have a question for you guys who did the swap already. On the zetec, the sensor is the same right? the only thing it changes is the mounting thing. On the duratec is located on the other side of the engine, somewhere behind the idle pulley. So my guess is that I won't be needing that on my swap. What do you guys think?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
post up where you found that info

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mmm what info? That the crank sensors are the same? I went to the dealer and ask about it and they told me they were same part number for both, manual and atx. The mounting bracket however could be different (dumb me, I didn't ask about it) but since the sensor is located on the other side of the engine (and I found this on a ford shop wiring diagram book that I just bought) my guess is that I don't need that.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
yeah i would like to see that diagram....

just wondering where it pulls signal from, probably the crank pulley like the spi does. which would explain why some guys totally mess up their motor when they do a UDP on the duratec... So no you wouldnt need that if that was the case. Look into it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts