Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got word that the local Ford dealer has a buyback check for me. Will turn the car in tomorrow. Just curious what the procedure is and how stringent they are on inspecting the vehicle. My car is in great shape, but we have a dog who goes everywhere with us and the car is just loaded with dog hair. It’s near impossible to get the hair out of the carpet. So, I’m wondering how closely they will inspect the car. (My car now has 123k miles on it, I can’t imagine they will try to sell it, so why should they care about the cleanliness of interior?)

Thanks for any reports.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Really curious to see how much you get. Year? When I look at trade in values on my '13 with similar miles, it's pretty damn low

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
They WILL sell that car, don't kid yourself.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just got word that the local Ford dealer has a buyback check for me. Will turn the car in tomorrow. Just curious what the procedure is and how stringent they are on inspecting the vehicle. My car is in great shape, but we have a dog who goes everywhere with us and the car is just loaded with dog hair. It’s near impossible to get the hair out of the carpet. So, I’m wondering how closely they will inspect the car. (My car now has 123k miles on it, I can’t imagine they will try to sell it, so why should they care about the cleanliness of interior?)

Thanks for any reports.

When did you start the process & how long did it take? How do you not know how much they’re giving you? I assume you took all of the necessary steps, gave them the service invoices while under warranty, purchase contracts etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really curious to see how much you get. Year? When I look at trade in values on my '13 with similar miles, it's pretty damn low
I’ve been in touch with a few people who have gone through the class action process with CAP Motors. It seems if your car is 6 years old or less and you have had at least 3 repairs/replacements of the specific part numbers required, people are getting full purchase price + sales tax + registration costs. My car is 8 years old with 123k miles on it now. Initially Ford told me it didn’t qualify, but I fought back ... I’ve been suffering with this car since the first time I brought it into the shop at less than 1 year ownership, and they spent the first 2+ years telling me that it was “normal” and I didn’t know how to drive the car. Anyway, they ended up offering to buy it back as a “good will gesture” at approximately half of what I paid for it. I’ve wasted so much energy on this car that I won’t actually believe it until I hand them the keys and take that check to the bank!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When did you start the process & how long did it take? How do you not know how much they’re giving you? I assume you took all of the necessary steps, gave them the service invoices while under warranty, purchase contracts etc.?

First step is to notify Ford of your intent to pursue arbitration through CAP Motors class action suit. I did that in February. Yes, did all necessary steps, including service invoices with part numbers listed, purchase invoice, copy of title, etc. They made an offer in May. Sounds like you have gone through the process yourself. Did they repurchase your car?

·
Registered
844 Posts
First step is to notify Ford of your intent to pursue arbitration through CAP Motors class action suit. I did that in February. Yes, did all necessary steps, including service invoices with part numbers listed, purchase invoice, copy of title, etc. They made an offer in May. Sounds like you have gone through the process yourself. Did they repurchase your car?

I’m actually currently going through it & seeking a buyback, but just patiently waiting. I first notified Ford at the end of April. CAP has all of my invoices while under warranty & purchase contracts, trade-in etc. The last I heard from CAP was about 22 days ago & they were supposedly getting ready to submit my letter to Ford, so I’ll let you guys know how it goes. I’m not sure if they’ll notify me by mail, email or phone? I forgot to ask CAP.

In any case, my ‘13 has only 46k miles & is in pristine condition, however like most others, the trans. has never been right & still frustrates me to this day. The fact that Ford kept selling these w/o a fix & it was a ‘characteristic ‘ is why I pursued this route.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fact that Ford kept selling these w/o a fix & it was a ‘characteristic ‘ is why I pursued this route.

I owned a 2004 Focus sedan, which I bought used and which I absolutely LOVED, except that I really wanted a hatchback for the versatility. I traded the sedan for a USED 2008 Focus Hatch. I LOVED THAT CAR! I was a cheerleader for Ford, telling everyone how much I loved my Focus, how I never had any problems with it, only did maintenance, never any mechanical issues, etc. In 2012, I got a promotion, a bonus and a good tax refund and for the first and ONLY time in my life, I decided to buy myself a brand new car. I bought a brand new 2012 Focus hatch. I LOVED that car, it was so fun and comfortable with bells and whistles that I never had on a car before. And then the tranny started ratcheting, lagging and surging. And that’s when Ford started lying to me. I was the cheerleader who really felt that Ford had finally built a car that rivaled Toyota and Honda ... until they started lying to me and my car started losing value like mad. I even had a Ford rep at the annual new car show laugh at me and shrug, suggested I trade it for a new Focus with a standard transmission. I will never forget, and I will never own another Ford.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have turned in my Focus! The check has been deposited! I am SO GLAD TO BE RID OF IT!!! Picking up a Honda CRV tomorrow! HOORAY!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have turned in my Focus! The check has been deposited! I am SO GLAD TO BE RID OF IT!!! Picking up a Honda CRV tomorrow! HOORAY!

Just curious, were you notified by mail or did Cap call you? It seems like the process took about 3 months?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just curious, were you notified by mail or did Cap call you? It seems like the process took about 3 months?

Was I notified by mail about what part of this?

Will try to keep this short. I initiated the CAP Motors settlement process by first notifying Ford of my intent. They requested documentation and subsequently told me that my car didn’t qualify. The offered to fix my car (again). I declined and continued to CAP requesting arbitration. This put me into their portal where all parties are supposed to communicate with one another in an open manner ... all messages from all parities appear on the portal. At that point, Ford (the SAME rep who had denied me earlier) came onto the portal and offered to repurchase my car. At that point there was no sum given. After me questioning them, they revealed that if I agree to pursue their buyback, they would put me in touch with the RAV team (the people who value the car). I was vehement that I was NOT agreeing to ANYTHING except to allow them to make me an offer, as they had not yet given me a dollar amount and I would NOT agree to any insulting amount. They assured me that nothing was set is stone until I signed over my car and took the check in hand. Next thing I knew, the RAV team member emailed me directly (did NOT communicate through the portal). I supplied more documentation. They offered to buy back the car “based on the repair at 62,421 miles.” That was my second clutch replacement. I have no idea why they chose that repair. So, this is the formula they use - first, they look to your state’s lemon law for guidance as to “useful life” of the vehicle. Fortunately, in CT 120,000 miles is considered the useful life of the car. I understand that in some states it’s only 100,000. The calculation is supposed to be ((Miles driven until the first repair attempt) divided by (120,000 miles)) times (the price of the vehicle). In my case, (62,421/120,000) X $23,000 = $11,964. This is considered the value of the “good years” you had before the car showed itself to be a lemon. We all know the car was a lemon the day I bought it, and that it was hell being told that I was a stupid woman who didn’t know how to drive this car properly for 2+ years every damn time I brought the car in because of the tranny, but I don’t care about that now. $23,000 (total sale price including tax, registration, dealer add-ons, any finance charges, etc.) - $11,964 = $11,036, and I am very happy with that. The alternative COULD have been that after being tied up in arbitration for months, they could have told me to go pound sand. I would have been lucky to get $1,000 for it in a trade-in situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was I notified by mail about what part of this?

Will try to keep this short. I initiated the CAP Motors settlement process by first notifying Ford of my intent. They requested documentation and subsequently told me that my car didn’t qualify. The offered to fix my car (again). I declined and continued to CAP requesting arbitration. This put me into their portal where all parties are supposed to communicate with one another in an open manner ... all messages from all parities appear on the portal. At that point, Ford (the SAME rep who had denied me earlier) came onto the portal and offered to repurchase my car. At that point there was no sum given. After me questioning them, they revealed that if I agree to pursue their buyback, they would put me in touch with the RAV team (the people who value the car). I was vehement that I was NOT agreeing to ANYTHING except to allow them to make me an offer, as they had not yet given me a dollar amount and I would NOT agree to any insulting amount. They assured me that nothing was set is stone until I signed over my car and took the check in hand. Next thing I knew, the RAV team member emailed me directly (did NOT communicate through the portal). I supplied more documentation. They offered to buy back the car “based on the repair at 62,421 miles.” That was my second clutch replacement. I have no idea why they chose that repair. So, this is the formula they use - first, they look to your state’s lemon law for guidance as to “useful life” of the vehicle. Fortunately, in CT 120,000 miles is considered the useful life of the car. I understand that in some states it’s only 100,000. The calculation is supposed to be ((Miles driven until the first repair attempt) divided by (120,000 miles)) times (the price of the vehicle). In my case, (62,421/120,000) X $23,000 = $11,964. This is considered the value of the “good years” you had before the car showed itself to be a lemon. We all know the car was a lemon the day I bought it, and that it was hell being told that I was a stupid woman who didn’t know how to drive this car properly for 2+ years every damn time I brought the car in because of the tranny, but I don’t care about that now. $23,000 (total sale price including tax, registration, dealer add-ons, any finance charges, etc.) - $11,964 = $11,036, and I am very happy with that. The alternative COULD have been that after being tied up in arbitration for months, they could have told me to go pound sand. I would have been lucky to get $1,000 for it in a trade-in situation.
Hey, could you give me some advice on this settlement? I’m preparing to send Ford my 10 day arbitrary notice, but on the online form it’s asking if I have an attorney to represent me, so do I write down one of the attorneys that was assigned to the settlement? Or do I choose no attorney? What did you put on that part?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm not going to do the buy back program for mine. I've only had my clutch replaced once and that was 25,000 miles ago and it hasn't given me any problems at all. Besides, I work at a Ford dealership now so that works in my favor for parts and work.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Besides, I work at a Ford dealership now so that works in my favor for parts and work.
Are you a technician? What is your and other Ford dealer technicians take on this debacle?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm currently a lube tech but my friend is a tech and he did mine before I started with Ford. Idk about their take on it, never really asked.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I still haven’t heard anything & it’s been a few months now. Does anyone know if they do buy the vehicle back, what’s the time-table that you have to turn it in? Is it 10 days 30 days or what? I just want to make sure I’m not left without a car.... I would like some communication so I can plan ahead....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts