Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 5575 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
So who do you want for president. They all talk shit. ///////
I have a few thoughts.
1. we have a real problem here because for many years, we have been voting em out, sending in new ones who we think will make it better and NOTHING is getting better. Its as if the process is an illusion to make us think we can effect change, while all the while nothing changes.
2. how about a candidate who does NOT spend his days tearing up his competition ?
3. we need someone to go down to washington and shake things up, be a disruptive technology if you will.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
Maybe someone should put up a poll, and list all the top runners. But I don't think I want to open up that can of worms....[facepalm]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sanders mabey cuz of the 15 dollar wage hike but even though he's a douch mm
Abey trump would shake things up. But I'm a gypsy at heart so who cares. Be your own president! We need to dose them all with lsd

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sanders mabey cuz of the 15 dollar wage hike but even though he's a douch mm
Abey trump would shake things up. But I'm a gypsy at heart so who cares. Be your own president! We need to dose them all with lsd
I love people who bring up the $15 min wage.... Most people never even think about what all that entails.

Do you really think that fast food workers should be paid as much as or more than....

Police officers
Fire fighters
EMS
Pharmacy technicians
Surgical technicians
Nurses assistants

The list goes on and on of skilled laborers that make less than $15.

When you increase the min wage EVERYTHING gets more expensive so you really have done nothing.

Of people that have a legitimate chance my first choice is Cruz second Rubio and I'm really going to turn some heads with this third is Sanders although I would never vote for him but at least we will know exactly what he stands for.

If the ballot is Trump vs Hillary I'd vote Trump if it's Trump vs Sanders I'll vote 3rd party or write in a vote for Pedro Sanchez.

I don't want to vote for Trump because we don't know where his loyalties are but even more than that Hillary Clinton in the whithouse is my worst nightmare.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I love people who bring up the $15 min wage.... Most people never even think about what all that entails.

Do you really think that fast food workers should be paid as much as or more than....

Police officers
Fire fighters
EMS
Pharmacy technicians
Surgical technicians
Nurses assistants

The list goes on and on of skilled laborers that make less than $15.

When you increase the min wage EVERYTHING gets more expensive so you really have done nothing.

Of people that have a legitimate chance my first choice is Cruz second Rubio and I'm really going to turn some heads with this third is Sanders although I would never vote for him but at least we will know exactly what he stands for.

If the ballot is Trump vs Hillary I'd vote Trump if it's Trump vs Sanders I'll vote 3rd party or write in a vote for Pedro Sanchez.

I don't want to vote for Trump because we don't know where his loyalties are but even more than that Hillary Clinton in the whithouse is my worst nightmare.
minimum wage jobs were never supposed to be career and family jobs. you can't change this with legislation any more than the attempt to make mortgages into civil rights which led to the world wide subprime crisis

much better suggestion, equalize corporate tax rates so all our big companies don't leave

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
FWIW - the mean salary for all those listed jobs is above $15/hr already.

You don't get a raise in a price without starting bargaining high, and yes - the minimum is supposed to be enough to live on.

"Income inequality" has even been invented as a new term for the problem of extremes, just one of the signs of too many people living at too low a level compared to others. Wouldn't need the growth industry of security for the "haves" if the "have nots" weren't getting desperate.

Real Estate Bust had more to do with it becoming a speculative market than pushing mortgages as a "civil right" IMHO. The market resembled the Stock market before the Depression, with everyone getting involved, and that includes lending for purchases without considering the possibility of default. In that heated market, default wasn't a concern - lenders thought any defaults could be sold at a profit because the market was rising so well.

Corporate Tax system needs more revision than just "equalizing rates", as it goes currently that's another "race to the bottom" similar to other tax incentives by locales. As it's heading now, the situation reminds me of "Flagging" most vessels in Liberia or other similar locations to avoid taxes & rules. A ppwk. scheme not rooted in reality of actual operations.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Doubling minimum wage will cause instant hyperinflation.

Those making above $15.00 per hour will not see a wage increase, but your clothes, groceries and gasoline will rise sharply, entertainment things will also rise greatly.

Those making 30-50k per year with a family of 4 will no longer have disposable income because your $2.99 per pound ground beef will be 5.98 per pound over night.

Companies are already stretched thin with employees and would simply not be able to function on less workforce.

Then once things level out and the true middle class ceases to exist because they are broke from buying food and clothes, massive deflation will set in, because companies will have no choice to lower prices to start making revenue again..

Here's a great article on it.

Forbes Welcome

Tldr version: the democratic stronghold in wall street and the banks will screw us over no matter what happens

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Instant doubling would be disruptive, increases over time can help.

Wages are a much lower percentage of cost for the items mentioned than you might think, highest in some prepared foods categories.

Reading the article on inflation/deflation mentioned, note the lack of demand mentioned there. Increased spending power that would spread beyond minimum wage earners alone can remedy that issue. Too much downward pressure on wages to keep costs down backfires in the end with reduced demand for products, the position it seems we are getting into at the present.

Evidence is right in that article, easy money (added supply, low interest) alone isn't adequate to keep the economy rolling when demand isn't there. There's a limit on increased demand for luxury goods, need more demand at lower levels from better income expectations.

Put it in car terms, selling more exotics doesn't employ that many more people while being able to afford Focuses bumps up production & employment.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Instant doubling would be disruptive, increases over time can help.

Wages are a much lower percentage of cost for the items mentioned than you might think, highest in some prepared foods categories.

Reading the article on inflation/deflation mentioned, note the lack of demand mentioned there. Increased spending power that would spread beyond minimum wage earners alone can remedy that issue. Too much downward pressure on wages to keep costs down backfires in the end with reduced demand for products, the position it seems we are getting into at the present.

Evidence is right in that article, easy money (added supply, low interest) alone isn't adequate to keep the economy rolling when demand isn't there. There's a limit on increased demand for luxury goods, need more demand at lower levels from better income expectations.

Put it in car terms, selling more exotics doesn't employ that many more people while being able to afford Focuses bumps up production & employment.
Hi Sailor, on the subject of the sub prime crisis, you can find an interesting read by googling subprime timeline wikipedia. It brings up a chapter and verse list of which politicians and which legislative acts (from both parties) systematically tried to make mortgages into a civil right. Including Janet Reno threatening banks to loosen up or be investigated. Last but not least was throwing out the Glass-Steagal act, put in place after the great depression, that kept banks controlled. In my opinion, our own elected reps caused this world-wide debacle.

In a related story, whenever you read about a mass shooting where the perpetrator turns out to be a very mentally disturbed person, you can similarly google how the federal and state governments have been systematically cutting long term health care funding all the way back to the Reagan administration.

Leaving more and more severely disturbed individuals on the street and/or living with scared family members who have no where to turn to. In my opinion this is another case where the real truth is our own elected reps have caused the problem.

In both cases there is no way they would ever own up to being the actual cause, instead always finding a scapegoat.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Agree in both cases actually, de-regulation has had a lot to do with crises in particular and the constant reduction in funding/interest in dealing with mental illness is another tragedy in progress.

Speculative banking, "flipping" loans, the lists grow long rapidly.

·
Captain TMI
21,235 Posts
This election reminds me of a poem.... it keeps repeating in the back of my head. I changed Martin Niemöller's words a bit though, some of you know the original, but you can look it up using his name or the title.

First they came for the Mexicans, and I did not speak out-
Because I am not a Mexican.
Then they came for the Trade Unions, and I did not speak out-
Because I am not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Rich, and I did not speak out-
Because I am not Rich.
Then they came for the Poor, and I did not speak out-
Because I am not Poor.
Then they came for me- and there was no one left to speak for me.

The fear that inspires me to rewrite this poem is a result of the severe divisions propagated by our past and present political leaders. They (either side) don't want you to talk to the other guys. They don't want you to listen to anyone who might have another view point. They don't want you to freely assemble- unless it's with their group. Stay in your little safe hole. Don't ask questions. Don't research. Listen only to us. Everyone else is lying. I promise.

Who's falling for it?

In the 2014 mid term elections, 33.6% of registered voters voted in that election. If the turnout was close to 50/50, which it has been nearly everywhere every time in recent general elections that means approximately 17% of registered voters made the final decision. If only 65% of eligible voters are registered to vote (go ahead, research it), then what percentage of the nation actually made that choice? Who's guidance is placing such nefarious individuals in positions of power? Nefarious? Strong words, but I was paying attention when the budget bill was passed in December with a rider allowing foreign institutions to make campaign contributions. I'm an American, and I'm really surprised that more Americans haven't researched which party proposed this rider on such an important Bill that was sure to pass. I'm surprised that more Americans aren't completely appalled.

Yeah, I'll be voting. After more research, because I all I hear on TV are lies and misdirection.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yeah, I'll be voting. After more research, because I all I hear on TV are lies and misdirection.
Yep. Lots of smoke and mirrors.

One thing that strikes me is that people don't seem to understand that a lot of what happens during any sitting presidents time in office was set in motion by the previous president.

It happens all the time. Such-n-such gets passed, to go into effect at some time in the future, often years into the future. Then, when it does go into effect, everybody who doesn't like it blames whoever is in office at that time, regardless of who created to mess to begin with.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Trump - I predict he'd be terrible with foreign policy and get us into another war.
Rubio - WAY too right-wing and wants to put his religious beliefs into the presidency.
Cruz - See Rubio
Clinton - She's lied about too many things for me to consider voting for her
Sanders - I liked him until I heard about his ideas about taxes (MAJOR, back-breaking tax hikes to pay for the free stuff he wants to provide).
Carson - Yeah, right
Bush - Glad he dropped out
Kasich - Who?

I have a hard time even bothering to vote with a list like this....much like during the last election.

1 - 20 of 5575 Posts