Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question is posed exactly as the title. Is adding white turn signals (front) instead of the amber ones illegal?

Now of course this is a state-based thing. Here is one forum post somewhere else about NJ light laws. I dont know how current this is, etc though.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-252197.html

Based on that, I interpret that as not technically illegal, as they are still "substantially white or amber". Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
NJ thread was talking about headlights, so it doesn't help much.

You should be fine if you use yellow bulbs with white lenses for a different look, Factory done on various cars.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The code in that law mentions one line about turn signals, only piece of literature I could find.

I suppose I may just end up with a set of switchbacks, as that's probably the safe bet.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Switchbacks are the safest bet. You probably won't get a ticket for white signals, especially on the front, unless you get pulled by a cop who's a complete letter of the law douche. I had white signals in my trucks tail lights and never got pulled for them and whenever I did get pulled over they were never mentioned.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
that thread links the NJ statutes in which it states:

39:3-50. All lamps and reflectors, which display a light visible from directly in front of a vehicle as authorized by this subtitle, shall exhibit lights substantially white, yellow or amber in color.

(a)The color of light emitted or reflected by exterior lamps or reflectors on a vehicle shall be as follows, except as otherwise provided in paragraphs (b), (c) and (d) of this section:

White when the lamp is a headlamp, or spot lamp, or illuminates a license plate or a destination sign; or is located on the outside limit of a side car or other attachment on a motor cycle;

Substantially white or amber when the lamp is a side-cowl or fender lamp, running-board or other courtesy lamp, front parking lamp, back-up lamp, auxiliary driving lamp; or a turn signal on or facing the front;

Substantially red or amber when the lamp is a turn signal or a stop lamp on or facing the rear;

therefore a white turn signal is legal. it's the same in my jurisdiction,so i actually have my fog lights wired up as turn signals

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seldom if ever will you be pulled over for that type of thing. However, in the event of an accident or erratic driving and how you react may make a cop look for every little thing. Then they'll look at tires, window tint, turn signals, legal mufflers, etc...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for clarifying. That's what I took away from that, but then again reading legal documents doesnt go well for me.

I have seen fogs wired as signals which is another thing I figure would solidify that.

I still will probably just end up with switchbacks though.

My car is technically up to code with the exception of the R13 relay, so I wouldnt be concerned about other nitpicking stuff, especially if this is technically legal. Either way, NJ cops suck, switchbacks are the safer bet.

·
Wit Da Silva Bullit
4,609 Posts
Now take this from a 5 year "hated being a cop" ex-police officer... in all states. As this is a dot law, the front signals must either be white or amber. All rear signals must be amber or red. also be noted.... even if it was illegal, it is a secondary offense, as it doesn't directly violate road safety regulations "such as speeding, wreck less driving, under influence or what not." ... what this means is that unless a) it is a safety checkpoint, b) u get pulled over for something else that is a primary offense, u won't get pulled over... unless u have a douchebag cop, and in that case u just take the ticket to court and Fight it. It will get dismissed everytime... unless of course the cop gives u a ticket for a primary offense... like, seatbelt, speeding, no signaling when changing lanes... etc etc...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Understood.. I'll probably go with switchbacks on the basis I kind of like them, but I may try pure white when I pick up 3156s for the reverse.

·
Wit Da Silva Bullit
4,609 Posts
I have pure white all around :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts