Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the title explains it... how the hell do i get the face over the needles? do i need to remove them? i read the how-to, and it doesn't say. the how-to at MFF says i need a special tool, but i have no clue where to get one? does anyone know how to do this with common hand tools?

HELP!!!!
Mike

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
argh, this is not my day for dealing with this car! so i figured out how to get the needles off. the only problem is i forgot their orientation when i put them back on. so i used the "test phase" of the digital readout to "calibrate" them. i "calibrated" the gas gauge by filliing the tank the entire way and setting gauge to "full." but now the speedo is still off AND it's sticking, and the temp is just a little off (i can fix it later, but i'm done for tonight). and, to finish it all off.... THE DAMN THINGS WON'T LIGHT UP! i ran a piggyback off a fuse that has 12v DC constant (according to my handy little multimeter) for both the power and the ground, it won't light! and when i take a reading off the jumpers (they stick out far enough that i can touch the metal contacts with the probes) it says there's only 2-3 volts! i even tried removing the fuse entirely and just ramming the piggy bakcs in by themselves....still no luck. and another wierd thing: there are about 4 harness coming off the inverter. which one do i plug the gauges into? any of them? is there something special i have to do?

HELP!!!!!

if it helps, the branmd seems to be called "Racing Dash." they look like the ones you see on ebay all the time

Mike

·
Registered
515 Posts
I sent you a PM, but now I see that you have done all this since then.

Sounds too complicated for me to be able to help over the internet. Just as well I guess, since I have never had to pull the needles off or install a lighted gauge face like you have.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I'm sorry I can't help here (and to derail the topic), but I have to ask - Liquid when did you suddenly start driving a 2004 Cavalier?? Are you testing us? Or did you really buy one?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
damn, i just wrote a response and forgot to click post... here it goes again...

sucks u took the needles off, u didnt need to, if u pull up on them a lil bit you can work the face around it.

for the stickng, get yourself some 3m double sided scotch tape. lay it behind the gauge face and it will keep it down flat. also pull the needles up very slightly.

as far as the power goes, i hooked mine up thru the light switch. use a test light to figure out the ground and the power. i believe the ground wire is a solid black. the power should be orange and blue. maybe green and yellow tho. then just leave the power switch on the inverter box always switched to "ON" so when u turn on your headlights, ur gauges will turn on. just like they should be.

as far as calibrating them again... drive the car around for about 20 min so it gets to a normal running temp then just stick the temp needle in the middle. it will be close enough and when u start running hot u will still be able to tell. as far as the tach, at idle you should be around 800 when running at a normal temp, so id just set the rpm right after u get the engine running normal. as far as speedo, find an open road and bring a passenger with you, have someone drive next to you, get to a specific speed going the same speed as them, and then have ur passenger place the needle down by how fast the other car is going. make sure the other car has factory wheels on it and whatnot too for the most accurate reading.

hope this helps. i have a pic of my gauges and dash in this thread if u wanna see...
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=1424

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
damn i missed this... sorry about that..

i could have helped you step by step.. if you still need help shoot me a pm and ill tell you what you need to do to fix the needles (not sticking and what not)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Also to set your speedometer, you could do what EuroZX3 said, except instead of another car in front of you, you could use the digital speedometer trick. That's probably slightly more accurate.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, that's what i think i'm gonna do about the speedo. just need to find a strecth of road where i can pay more attention to the dash than the road (like a parking lot). the needle was sticking bc there was a slight tear in the gauge insert that it was catching on. i think the tear might be the reason behind it not lighting, although it's not completely through the trace so i don't know. i'm gonna go buy some double-sided tape and conductive tape today and see what's up. i took the whole thing out again last night, so i think i'm gonna test the gauges by just touching the leads to the battery posts. should work, right?

Mike

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I'm all done! thanks, eruo, for suggesting to splice it into the headlight. i should have thought of that, but i was too tired and frustrated yesterday. (btw, the hot side is the blue and orange. turns out they had already spliced into it once when they installed my alarm, so figuring it out was pretty easy). gauges should look really cool at night.

as far as the calibrating goes, the temp is sticking a little but everything else looks cool. the speedo is more accurate now than it was to begin with (at least, according to the "test" phase). realistically, i could get in there and fix the temp gauge, but i'm done wiith it for now. i'm probably going to replace these guys with some speedhut gauges soon anyway, so i'll fix it then. these gauges look OK, but the alignment isn't so hot. i played with it for about half an hour, and there's no way to get it to line up perfectly (O/D light, cruise, and brights don't line up exactly, but it's not that bad).

thanks to all,
Mike

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
parents are coming up later today from SD. if my mom remembered her digital camera, i'll take some pics. i've been holding off on taking pics of the whole thing until i get my new wheels. course, who knows when that's gonna be. car looks so much better than my last group of pics now. can't wait to show it off!

Mike

·
Registered
515 Posts
SVT4ME said:
I'm sorry I can't help here (and to derail the topic), but I have to ask - Liquid when did you suddenly start driving a 2004 Cavalier?? Are you testing us? Or did you really buy one?
No I'm not testing you, and yes I really bought one. Traded in the Focus for it, even.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts