Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says pretty much. I let the car warm up 5-10 minutes this morning, to take my little brother to school. I didn't start driving the car until it was about 3/8th on the temp gauge, just to make sure it was warm.

Get close to my bro's school, and I notice that once I turned down the music, there was a whining from the front. Mostly noticeable at around 25 mph, foot OFF the gas only. When I put my foot back down on the gas, not so much there.

Almost like a power steering or transmission whine. I don't know, maybe these SPI's are just loud, lol. Any guesses?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,109 Posts
How is your power steering fluid level? Could be part of it if it is low.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is your power steering fluid level? Could be part of it if it is low.
Good idea! I didn't think about checking that. Should I check it while the car is running, warm? Or anytime with the car off?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always check when the car is off.
Ok, cool. I'll do that today.

PVC valve or hose collapsed perhaps? Happened to local member's car, it was howling or whining really loud it was due to hose being collapsed. Just something to check.
If the PS fluid isn't low, then I'll make sure to check this next, thank you!

Moved to "General Technical Chat" as this is a maintenance issue.
Ok, sorry about that. My bad. [:(]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fluid is actually over the max line, when cold. Is that a bad thing? Should I pull fluid out of it? I've heard many other cars whining because they were topped up too high. Same problem?

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,109 Posts
I don't know if that's a bad thing or not. I don't know what would hurt being to high unless it heated up and boiled.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Sleepyboy, wouldnt it suck shut when hes on the go pedal? He said its only making noise when he is off of it. It could be that he has a noisy car and cant hear it when on the go pedal, but unknown there as he never said anything.

As stated, check the P/S fluid (with the car off), and check the transmission fluid (with the car on) after it is up to operating temperature. Make sure both are within acceptable ranges. If those check out, you can also look into the pulleys for the serpentine belt. You could have one starting to go bad, and when you give it gas it puts a little more tension on the belt causing it to tighten down on a bad pulley. You can also get a stethoscope and listen to each pulley and accessory individually.

Does this noise happen when the vehicle is sitting still, or only when in motion? That is another piece of information that can be very helpful.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The noise was loudest at idle and was drowned out by the other noises the motor made when revving it. All got to do is look at the hose and see, pretty easy check.
Makes sense. That goes with what I said about it being noisier when hes on it. lol.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sleepyboy, wouldnt it suck shut when hes on the go pedal? He said its only making noise when he is off of it. It could be that he has a noisy car and cant hear it when on the go pedal, but unknown there as he never said anything.

You could have one starting to go bad, and when you give it gas it puts a little more tension on the belt causing it to tighten down on a bad pulley. You can also get a stethoscope and listen to each pulley and accessory individually.

Does this noise happen when the vehicle is sitting still, or only when in motion? That is another piece of information that can be very helpful.
Correct, it makes noise AFTER I let off the gas pedal, right around 20-30 MPH. After I let off the gas, it will whine while slowly decelerating, and then after about 10 seconds, the noise fades away.

The car does whine fairly loudly right after I cold start it in the morning. I think it might be a pulley. The PS fluid is topped just a bit over the max line, and the transmission fluid was just changed, and checked 4 times after 4 test drives. Both fluids are good to go.

The car won't whine when sitting still at a light or in park once warmed up, but always makes that noise when letting off the gas around that certain speed, cold or warm. Always louder when cold.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Start check vacuum hoses, pcv hose and tube, take the belt off and check eac oulley by itself for slop.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like after a quick test and check today, one of the tensioner pulley's is bad.

I'm thinking that it may be the power steering pulley too. Dang.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Get that replaced and let us know

1 - 18 of 18 Posts