Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When ever I try to accelerate quickly into traffic while turning left,I hear this metallic whining sound,does anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well theres a few things could be but sounds like a wheel bearing. You need to pinpoint where the noise is coming from (front or rear). Next does it increase or decrease with acceleration and deceleration? Is it only when you turn left? What kind of aftermarket parts are on suspension, rims, calipers? Check the clearance on everything, you'll see scorring if so. But other problems are tierod problems. Caliper seizing. Sticky pads. Warped rotors. Those are a few things i would look for first.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a wheel bearing,it's a different kind of sound,almost sounds gear related.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Is it like a whir whir whir noise after about 2 1/2k rpms

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check your timming belt cover and see if the belt is walking and rubbing. You can rev the engine while looking at cam cover or put a screw driver on cover and the other end to your ear and you will be able to pin point the sound while car is not moving to see if it is engine related.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Is it ONLY when turning left?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's only when turning left and usually when I'm trying to "jump" into traffic!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Honestly it sounds like you are spinning a tire, BUT - if that isn't the source - it's time to look CLOSE at the front wheel bearings & brakes.

Under that high stress, things can flex a bit & cause rubbing that isn't noticed otherwise...

Slightly "loose" bearing, brakes that are worn quite a bit, caliper that's hanging up somewhat could all come into play here.

I'm ruling out the CV joints, just because that would be more of a "clicking" noise in general... Though if you look under there & see a Shot boot, you have your answer....

Check it out, I'd like to hear what you see when you look in there more closely....

Luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds a little like when you are stuck in the snow with only one wheel turning. along with that,the sound of the engine changes for a little bit,until the next time that I come to a stop,then after I drive away again,everything goes back to normal.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
When ever I try to accelerate quickly into traffic while turning left,I hear this metallic whining sound,does anybody else experience this?
Hi RLoos,

I responded to your other post, but you may want to bring your Focus to be diagnosed at the dealer. Please PM me your VIN and I'll check for any warranties or Extended Service Plans valid on your Focus. No guarantees, but it never hurts to look. [:)]

~Natasha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts