Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran perfect till I did clutch and rear main. Fifth gear whined/squealed so bad I had it towed. It drove fine. Then the guy said fluid was bad and low. He drained it and put in the real Ford stuff. Much better all around but the squeal moved to fourth. All gone in fifth. Any ideas what I can do? I'm totally freaked out.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Odd that the noise changed gears.

Trans. oil is usually partially lost when the trans is pulled, it can drain out the axle holes.

Don't know how long it ran low, or how much damage may have been done.

With the change in when it's noticed, you'll want to be a lot more sure the noise is actually from the trans. before deciding what to do next.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a video. I'll post it later. How could it not be the transmission of it only happens in fourth?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Easy answer would be "replace the transmission".

That might be the final one, but with not being able to hear it and the noise changing when it appears (different gear noted) I'm leery of jumping directly to that as the definite answer.

RPM, speed, or load dependent could change a guess, "harmonics" can occur that aren't directly related to the first guess cause, etc..

You didn't mention how long after the clutch replacement the noise showed up, and mentioned "drove fine" after the comment about towing it.

You can't tell "low fluid" beyond a little low from the check hole, how much came out & how it looked would tell how low & give a hint at condition. How much & what kind of metal particulates in the drained fluid would also help with a guess at damage. Too late for that now unless you just didn't mention those details.

Replacing the trans is major, just wouldn't want to jump to that conclusion without a lot of info..

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Ran perfect till I did clutch and rear main. Fifth gear whined/squealed so bad I had it towed. It drove fine. Then the guy said fluid was bad and low. He drained it and put in the real Ford stuff. Much better all around but the squeal moved to fourth. All gone in fifth. Any ideas what I can do? I'm totally freaked out.
Did you have the work done at a Ford dealer? Please let me know along with your mileage.

Meagan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have the work done at a Ford dealer? Please let me know along with your mileage.

Meagan
No. Sorry. Wish I did. 97k. Very sad about the situation. This is my fourth new Ford in a row. My last one was a five hundred with a cvt transmission that went up. Ford wanted 6k to fix that. My brand New ranger had a slave cylinder blow and ruin the clutch at 40k. All service work was done at Ford dealer and they never ever offered to help. Yet I just keep buying them. I am loyal but seriously considering Honda next time. Or Toyota. I sold millions and millions of dollars of new Ford cars for about nine years. Can you help me?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
No. Sorry. Wish I did. 97k. Very sad about the situation. This is my fourth new Ford in a row. My last one was a five hundred with a cvt transmission that went up. Ford wanted 6k to fix that. My brand New ranger had a slave cylinder blow and ruin the clutch at 40k. All service work was done at Ford dealer and they never ever offered to help. Yet I just keep buying them. I am loyal but seriously considering Honda next time. Or Toyota. I sold millions and millions of dollars of new Ford cars for about nine years. Can you help me?
I may have some options I can look into, but it would require you to head to a Ford Dealer for diagnosis first.

Meagan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may have some options I can look into, but it would require you to head to a Ford Dealer for diagnosis first.

Meagan
I went to Plaza Ford in Bel Air Md. Is spoke with the owner and the service manager. The service manager rode with me and said it sounds like a bad bearing. He wants a thousand dollars just to Crack it open and have a look. A thousand dollars. Honestly. Did I mention we're a family of four with two small children? We don't make a lot of money and a thousand dollars will go a long way towards a used tranny or approach a rebuilt one. I would do it if there was some kind of guarantee they'd fix it. Anyway we had a Honda years ago way way way out of warranty and the tranny went up. When we got back to the dealer they handed us the keys and said enjoy your new transmission from the factory because it shouldn't have done that. No charge. Not a dime. I swear before God almighty that's true. We didn't even buy the car from them. It was used. They were right across the street from Plaza Ford. I wish Ford would do something like that. We could sure use the help right now.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I went to Plaza Ford in Bel Air Md. Is spoke with the owner and the service manager. The service manager rode with me and said it sounds like a bad bearing. He wants a thousand dollars just to Crack it open and have a look. A thousand dollars. Honestly. Did I mention we're a family of four with two small children? We don't make a lot of money and a thousand dollars will go a long way towards a used tranny or approach a rebuilt one. I would do it if there was some kind of guarantee they'd fix it. Anyway we had a Honda years ago way way way out of warranty and the tranny went up. When we got back to the dealer they handed us the keys and said enjoy your new transmission from the factory because it shouldn't have done that. No charge. Not a dime. I swear before God almighty that's true. We didn't even buy the car from them. It was used. They were right across the street from Plaza Ford. I wish Ford would do something like that. We could sure use the help right now.
Go ahead and send me a PM with your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, and full name. I'm going to dig into this further.

Meagan

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go ahead and send me a PM with your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone number, and full name. I'm going to dig into this further.

Meagan
Sent you a pm. Gonna have to pay for a used or rebuilt one next week or so. Please dig fast. So much can go wrong but can't afford to use dealer at this point. Restore my faith. Give me more faith.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Odd that the noise changed gears.

Trans. oil is usually partially lost when the trans is pulled, it can drain out the axle holes.

Don't know how long it ran low, or how much damage may have been done.

With the change in when it's noticed, you'll want to be a lot more sure the noise is actually from the trans. before deciding what to do next.
Problem solved. Thanks for all the help. GOT A 2014 ST TODAY!!!
Up about eighty bucks a month though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts