Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its related to the engine revs and the ground. The system is grounded to the seltbelt bolt. I'm sure the seltbelt bolt and the chassis are two of the best places to ground. What I'm wondering is if there is anything else I can do?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I had that in my bimmer. It sounded like a rocket when the accelerated. Be sure thatyour power & ground cable aren't close to eachother. If this doesn't work go to Radioshack & tell them what's up. I forgot what the part is but it costs $20.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
the power and ground cable being close together will make no difference, you don't want your rca's running by anything drawing a lrage amount of power, such as your power wire, so no noise gets induced. you should have your amps, hu, and other componets grouned at the same spot to avoid ground loops which Infra3sv was refereing to with the $20 part, it's a ground loop isolater, but that's not a good fix because it blocks out certain frequencies, your better off to do the instllation right first. and make sure the ground spot has no paint or anything on it either. make sure the ground for the amps ae under 3 feet, and try a new hu ground, not the stock one, if none of that works let me know.

- Scott

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
There should be a noise capacitor that can be put inline with the power lead to get rid of this whinning noise at Radio Shack. It looks like a small coke can with two wires on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the tips. I'm not 100% on the ground location for the hu as I didn't do the install. The one at the seltbelt has to be the amps(lower than 3ft) If this doesn't work, is it time for the coke can?

·
Registered
270 Posts
did u sand off the paint of the seat belt mount????? if not its probably not making a good connection.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The HU and digital processor and amps are located at two seperate selt belt posts. I went to unscrew the bolts, but the bolt is something funky(6-pointed star?). I haven't been to the hardware store to see if I can pick one up.

Is this the standard bolt, or did the installation shop add these? As soon as I can unscrew the bolts I'll sand them down and put all the grounds together.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you got it professionaly installed I would take it back to them and have them fix it free of charge since they messed up on the install. That type of bit that the seat belt bolts use is a torx.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
torx #50 to be exact, and if possible, the amps, hu, and all other equipment should be grounded at the same point to avoid a ground loop. grounds for the amps should be under 3 feet also, like ClearH2O said, take it bak and have them fix it if it's their mistake.

- Scott

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like to be self-suffcient, but it was a professional install and I guess I'll be paying them a little visit.[thumb]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts