Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an 03 SVT ZX5 with a small but annoying problem. When im slowing down and im down to like 35 and below the car makes like a thumping whine (woo,woo,woo,woo) not too loud but very noticable with radio off. It sounds like its possibly coming from the driver side, but it could be both. I did a quick inspection of the bearings, bushings, etcc and dont see anything which could cause this. I know my brakes are not great but could that possibly be a cause for this whine? I tried pressing the brakes while it makes this noise but it causes the car to slow down too much and stop. Is there any other thing I can do to try and eliminate things, such as if both sides don't do it I can eliminate the tranny/power steering, etc...?

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have similar sound effects ( without the thumping) coming from the auto tranny on my 05 Focus from day one.
Woo-Woo or Wah-Wah sound starts around 37 mph and continues to around 30 mph. Ford put in a new transmission and the problem continued. Got a phone call from Ford engineer and he said that the tips of some of the tranny gears were not formed correctly. He stated that the gear condition should not affect tranny life. ?????

They first changed out the drive shaft assembly on the drivers side, thinking that the bearing on that shaft was bad because it seemed that the bearing was running very hot. The tranny was changed out when the shaft replacement did not eliminate the noise.

Hope this gives you a positive lead. if you fix the problem please let us know on this forum.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
check for cupping on the tires also.. very common

1 - 4 of 4 Posts