Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys recently I have noticed that there is a whine coming from the engine bay of my 2005 Focus st. The whine gets louder the higher the rpm's. At idle it is louder then the exhaust and normal engine noise. The only modification I have Done is a K&N FIPK intake back in September

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
How about the alternator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had alternator Checked a few months ago because the lights would flicker at idle. the garage said it was fine but its worth checking into.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
I had alternator Checked a few months ago because the lights would flicker at idle. the garage said it was fine but its worth checking into.
To me, it sounds like the alternator bearings.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Whine is a general adjective to describe a problem. It could be a failing bearing or something simpler like low power steering fluid. Can you do some investigating in the engine bay and try to narrow down the location?

·
Super Moderator
9,564 Posts
The whine could come from a multitude of things. You are going to have to be a little more descriptive if you are wanting help and better answers. From what I read, it could be anything from a slipping accessory belt to the low power steering fluid causing the pump to whine really loud. Remember that when asking for help in here, that it is always best to describe the problem in as full as details as possible to get the best answer. Also, I am moving this to "General Technical Chat".

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you're thinking it's a pulley, slip the belt off the tensioner and turn each one by hand to see if you can hear noise or feel any kind of grinding or resistance. You don't need to unhook the belt, just slip if off so it's easier to pop back on.

You can also, if you're the careful type, use a stethoscope on each pulley with the engine running to hear which one is making more noise than the others. Do NOT do this if you aren't careful, since anything that touches the belt will get sucked in and wrapped around the various pulleys. Not good for hair, sleeves, fingers, etc.

Higher rpms = louder whine suggests a pulley.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts