Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some research and haven't come across any legit-able answers saying what you can or will get more whp from(SVT Header, or a tune.) So, I would enjoy anyone with proof to post what the made before and after, and if not, peoples butt dyno will have to do.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Wouldn't doubt about the same from each, maybe 5whp. All depends on who does the tune though.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
I guess I'd have to say (though not answering the direct question) get some bolt ons first, at least, before you get a tune...... then you'll probably be seeing more increase.

though like iminhell said, it depends on who does the tune

·
Registered
774 Posts
Okay I have both and installed at different times.

SVT header - car wakes up and becomes alive. only way to decribe.
Tune - smooths out the animal after bolt-ons I would not get a tune unless I has some bolt-ons that would benifit from doing a tune.

If you have the full exhaust and intake with header you will get more HP out of the Header I think. A tune is only good if you have soemthing to tune. I don't see how a stock Focus is going to get 5 or 10WHP from an ECU flash with stock everything.

I could be totally wrong. Correct me if I am please.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the answers. I'll start off by saying I have an automatic trans, so a tune would really help out my atx let alone everything else. You can look at my signature to see what I have done. Oh, and I would want Tom to do the tune.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You will see better performance from the tune reguardless if you have any bolt ons or not.

Personally i would do both.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will eventually do both, but the tx money I'm getting back isn't enough to cover both. I am leaning towards the tune because I will get a good bump in whp and most of all I wont have a sloppy auto trans anymore.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
a tune does wonders for a stock foci, a "tune" doesnt just work with the aftermarket stuff on your car. if you were bone stock you could still change the ignition timing and lots of other stuff.

when i put my svt header on i allready had a 2.5" exhaust. with that said i felt a little more torque down low, in other words it helped drivability. i think the low end torque is thanks to the equal length 4-2-1 design. even when i rev up in the higher rpms it feels like it wants to keep reving. well, more so than before.

all in all, they are both worthy mods. my xcal is on the way from Tom, so i haent put that on yet. even tho a tune helps a "stock" engine, i would get the header and at least all the breathing mods before you tune. you would get more gains IMO

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Custom intake, Can be tweaked with tune
Custom exhaust, Is this just piping from the flex back?
AFX UDP,
Bypassed a/c,
advanced timing, How did you do this?

A tune will work with the exhaust intake and timing mods you already have listed and will clean up your shifting pretty considerably. It'll make the overall most difference in the driving experience. If you still have the stock exh. mani/cat/flex, the svt setup will prob make more whp, but overall the tune will make the most difference. And tunes grow with the car. The absolute first mod i did to my svt was a tune and it only helped as i added more and more mods.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
KK so you mechanically advanced the timing... I wonder if the ecu pulls timing on a daily basis. the stock flex is like 1.78 in. ID so the move to the svt setup will be noticable. Id go for the tune still. An increase in whp isnt noticable if your car short shifts it.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed. If my car wasn't a atx I would probably go for the header first, but with the atx there is more to be done for improvement so I think it will be the best bet.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
header is cheaper, and will change sound. i would go for the header if you think they will yeild the same HP

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The cheapest I found a svt header with everything need is 275. Plus the cost of having my old stuff taken off and the new put on would exceed the 400 tune.

·
Registered
975 Posts
i would get the header and orp first. if u get the tune then u will need a new tune when u get the header anyway. and u could probably do the header ur self.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would have to get a new tune, but the benefit of having Tom doing the tune is he will retune your car for free after any modification unless it's FI. So, it's not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I've done some research and haven't come across any legit-able answers saying what you can or will get more whp from(SVT Header, or a tune.) So, I would enjoy anyone with proof to post what the made before and after, and if not, peoples butt dyno will have to do.
the question i would be asking is....... wtf is "legit-able"

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I would say header if you did'nt have an auto but since you do have an auto I say get the tuner. It'll firm up your shifts and extend the rpms before shifting. That alone would make the car feel better. Though the header will wake up your top end and fatten everything else at the same time.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Ok I was watching your tube' vids and your tranny will shift so much faster if you got the tuner. I say tuner though I suggest hunking that crappy crap crap they call the stock exhaust manifold and getting you a header.

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll be getting my taxs, some money left over from my school loan, and a bonus when in the next month or so. I should actually have enough to get the tune, svt header 2.5 flex and 2.5 trubendz magnaflow! If all goes as planned. If it does then that will really wake her up.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts