Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to replace my factory speakers for my 07 ST.

Which kind and size do you recommend to go with?

should I go with 6x8's all around the doors? or 5 1/4 in the front doors and 6x8 (or 5x7) in the rear doors?

2 ways or 3ways?

HELP!

·
Registered
272 Posts
It's difficult to say exactly what you should do. The easiest thing to do is replace the factory speakers with 5x7s. If you want to go a little more in depth then mounting plates and 6 1/4s. Two or three ways are also your call as I ended up with 2 ways because I felt they sounded better.

·
Registered
94 Posts
if you're running the speakers off the headunit, stick with 5x7/6x8 speakers. the reason being is it will be hard to get the same amount of midbass out of a smaller driver (ie. 5-1/4) with headunit wattage. and please, i mean please, do not buy a 3-way speaker unless it's a component set-up. as far as which ones to buy, that will be your preferance. go to stores and listen to them, ask friends if you can hear theirs, and determine which ones sound best to you. a few recommendations in a mid-price range would be polk, kicker, or infinity.

if your getting an amp for the speakers, thats a whole other ball game. you could adapt a 5-1/4 or even a 6-1/2 coaxial speaker in there. you could run a compenent set-up in the doors, kickpanels, or the a-piller. again listen to them in person first, and go with what you hear. i'm sure focusincali could also chime in on some recommendations for the compenent drivers!

·
Registered
228 Posts
LISTEN to the speakers and choose the one you like the best!!!!

A couple simple things...

1. If on a budget, get the best sounding 5x7/6x8" you can afford

2. If wanting components, budget enough for an amplifier to properly power them.

3. If not adding a subwoofer, don't get components as they won't produce the bass you'll want.

There is no such thing as the best speaker, it all comes down to personal taste and budget.

Take your time and listen to speakers with YOUR cd's. Pick the one's you like the best.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I can't say I agree with #3...
my midrange woofers provide plenty of bass...

I will agree with
"There is no such thing as the best speaker, it all comes down to personal taste and budget."

Walk into a local car stereo shop that's been that has a good reputation, say "Hello I have $120" What will you recommend..." [replace $120 for actual amount willing to spend]

·
Registered
228 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
I can't say I agree with #3...
my midrange woofers provide plenty of bass...

I will agree with
"There is no such thing as the best speaker, it all comes down to personal taste and budget."

Walk into a local car stereo shop that's been that has a good reputation, say "Hello I have $120" What will you recommend..." [replace $120 for actual amount willing to spend]
Exactly!!! I'm not going to show you the $500.00 speakers if you want to spend $200.00. Explain what your final goals are and a good shop should be able to point you in the right direction. [thumb] [thumb]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
possible speaker layout

Thanks everyone for your advice. You all are so knowledgible. Helps me out a lot! Since I dont have a clue about speakers, let me run this setup past you.

Was planning on keeping amp and sub as is from the Sony Audiophile setup, but just change the front and rear speakers.

Front - Sony XS-V1342A
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xlxsgpgaX08/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=158XSV1342&s=0&cc=01
» 5-1/4" 4-way car speakers
» Highly Oriented Polyolefine (H.O.P.) woofer with cloth surround
» paper balanced-dome midrange
» paper dome tweeter and PEI film dome supertweeter
» frequency response: 30-32,000 Hz
» power range: 2-45 watts RMS (220 watts peak power)
» sensitivity: 91 dB

Rear - JBL Power Series P8652
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xlxsgpgaX08/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52200&I=109P8652
» 2-way car speakers for 5"x7" and 6"x8" openings (pair)
» HCL woofer cone (woven fiber glass with a Nomex core)
» rubber surround
» rotating pure titanium edge-driven dome tweeter
» computer-optimized outboard 2-way crossover network
» frequency response: 40-23,000 Hz
» power range: 5-75 watts RMS
» peak power handling: 225 watts
» sensitivity: 90 dB

Is it dumb to go with anything bigger than a 2-way speaker??? I didnt really want to install a whole component system into a car because of hacking to make room for the tweeters. The sony's have a woofer, and 2 sets fo tweeters so I'm getting a little of everything up there. For the rears, I had JBL's in my old Neon and they rocked!

Thanks again for all your feedback!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Two things. 1) if you can, stick with the same mfr for your door speakers. While it's not as critical in car audio as home theatre, you want to "timbre match" your speakers if you can. Try to run same series, same mfr. Short version- Run your 5 1/4s and 5x7s as all JBLs or all Sonys.
2) Have you actually listened to either of these speakers in operation? Go to a few different stores and listen to what they have in your price range. That way you can build on what you like.
Personally, I ran 2 ways all around because they sounded the best to me. I ended up choosing Kenwood 2 way 5x7s over Q-series Phoenix Gold 3 ways because, to my ears, they simply sounded better. I should point out the PGs were almost half again what the Kenwoods cost. So in this case, I saved money and walked away with competant speakers I liked listening to. Anyone can drop a ton of money or claim that say, Infinitys are the best speakers ever, but it's totally subjective.
It's certainly not dumb to want to put in 4ways if that's what sounds good to you, but it is dumb if you put them in because someone told you to without you really liking how they sound. For example, I wouldn't put a set of JBL home speakers in my home system because I think they sound too brassy; I would drop the money down for Paradigms because they have the power response, sensitivity, ans sound I want at a price I can afford.
Go out and do some homework, and listen with the tunes you are going to be pplaying most and are most familiar with.
3) Have Fun!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well if you want to broaden the speaker choices you have then go with some 6.5's in the doors. This is one of the most common speakers sizes and they can be fit in the door by making a custom MDF bracket.

As far as speakers are concerned, i did a lot of reaserch and finally decided on Crystals. After readng up a lot on car audio forums etc, i found that they were the best for the money, and it seems a LOT of other car audio gurus seem to think so as well. They cost 160 if you know who to do through and many say you have to spend about 300 plus on a set of components to match their quality. I have a distributer i could send you to to get them to you cheap.

http://www.infinitecaraudio.com/cgi-bin/icastore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=SSCS6

1 - 10 of 10 Posts