Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before everyone flames me I did search but there was 5 pages of results and nothing was what I was looking for.

Plain and simple between the Focus Central, Steeda and the Ford Racing Short Throw ( http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6725 ) which one is the best? I am leaning towards the Ford Racing one but I have not heard of anyone at all having one of these installed. I figure with it being a Ford Racing part it should be pretty good and it is still only $85.

Let me know fast, I got a hundred bucks in my pocket and its burning a hole in it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well, the Ford Racing one looks pretty damn close to my Steeda one. I may just have bad eyes, but I'm guessing the difference will be minimal between the two. I can't say anything about the FC one, but I got my Steeda one for $89 I think with free shipping. It's really up to you, but I can't see any shifter getting shorter shifts than the Steeda one without making it akward.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm dying to buy a Steeda. The reviews I've heard on it are nothing but good. Do you have a webpage for info on the FRPP shifter? I wasn't aware of it being priced as low as the Steeda one.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Steeda

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought the Steeda http://www.steedafocus.com/ (on left side marked "For SVT"). I can't wait to get it and have my friend from work put it in (him and his dad builds drag cars). I am going to have to tell my wife about this some time (anybody got an extra room in the columbus area?). Just kidding, not to worry my mom lives on the other side of town. This guy from work builds cars with his dad but I don't know what he is able to do. If some one does live in the Reynoldsburg, OH area (Columbus, OH) and has put one in before and has some spare time let me know. I could either float you a little cash or some movies, games or something.

Also while shopping around I noticed that all of them were around $100 except the B&M which was close to $200, what the hell is up with that?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Don't tell. The appearence of it is stock. As far as any body knows you bought it that way. Right.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
i have had the steeda for almost a year now, and i love this thing to death. although the throws are rather stiff when the car is cold, but i guess they are all like that. the only problem i have with it is that last month, the shifter assist snapped and now the shifter kind wiggles a bit. nothing bad, but the throws arent nearly as positive as before. just been too lazy to order a new one. [rolleyes] but i would DEFINITELY recommend the steeda. its worth the money.

·
Cashed in my chips
2,837 Posts
Sidney,

I'm not sure if I read your last post correctly, but it seemed like you went ahead and bought the steeda (great choice, love mine!) and you are looking for someone to install it for you. Well, assuming you have hands, I'm suggesting you do it yourself! It's a great feeling and the job takes maybe an hour (that's with no mechanical experience). The longest/hardest part of the whole job is taking the center console out and removing the stock shift knob. Piece 'O Cake, my friend. If you're interested, PM me and I will give you my own version of instructions which are WAAAYY better than steeda's.[thumb]

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Steeda is the way to go. I have had mine since Friday and I haven't wanted to stay home yet. I noticed a definite difference in the throw. A little tight right now till I break it in, but it feels much better. The hardest thing for me was the Knob. Loctite or something like it is holding that thing on. The rest was a piece of cake.
Congrats on your first MOD. Not a bad way to spend 100 bucks.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I can do it my self but I just wanted a helping hand from someone that knows what they are doing. I just don't want to screw the shifter up and be stuck where I started the project at (my house or my friends). It should take like about an hour and a half shouldn't it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Steeda was a good choice. [thumb]

It's not that hard to install, stock shift knob is a bit of a pain, revamp is right the instructions are horrible.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
I would go with Steeda. I love mine! I got a ZX3 though, not the SVT but I can't imagine there would be much difference between the 'feel' of the SVT one and the ZX3 one. Steeda has a very high reputation in this mod category.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got it installed this morning and had it done in under an hour. I was amazed at how simple it was to install. Took it for a short drive (got off work at 6am and had it done by a little after 7am) and it seemed wonderful. I am really impressed and due agree it is definitly worth the $100.

One question to those of you that installed the shorth throw. When you put the cables back on were they hard to get back on and did they make any kind of snap or pop when they went back on or did they just simply slide back on? I was a little concerned at the ease the cables slid on and there was no audible snap or pop when they went in. A friend of mine who deals with cars said that is common but I just wanted to verify.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The cable on the right side goes on easily if you bend it the right way, maybe a little tug is necessary, but I don't remember any pop. The bottom one which you put on with the wrench probably had a little pop to it...considering it snaps in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts