• Torsen Limited Slip

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm looking into the differencial for my Focus.

Have anyone use a Phantom Grip Limited Slip Conversion Kit?

so Which one should i get

1. Phantom Grip
2. Quaife
3. Torsen

K

·
0 Posts
I know phantom diff is crap, it's not good for your' diff,
since it's just something you bolt in it as well
why not try the search button, I've seen this discussion many times

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have heard many great things about the Quaife diff and no complaints. Phantom Grip is too cheaply made from what I heard from other drivers. I voted for the Quaife

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, guys for the Input

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
the phantom grip is like tying your shoe laces together for the diff. i would say quaiffe since it has a lifetime warranty that includes racing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
QUAIFFE..................Excellent traction
.................. unlimited lifetime waranty!!!!!!!!

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
torsen is just as good as quafie but a couple hundred bucks cheaper..quafie your paying about 100 bucks for the name, thers no way in hell you would ever tear apart either one so no need for all the warrenty..its like havein a million mile warrenty on the borla exhaust, what is gonna eat through that piping?

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
yea i am thinking about going with the torsen...how is the install on that....?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Install is pretty easy..... Might as well do the clutch and flywheel while your in there. Rather than take it apart 2 or more times.[B)]

·
teh tranny killer
3,130 Posts
when i blew my last tranny i disected it just for the fun of it and it actually looks fairly simple, just about 15 bolts holding the thing together, just open it up, tak off the old diff, attach the gear ring around the new diff and put in place, it seems pretty straight forward, just time consuming

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
And the speed sensor, and you need to shim it so it doesn't float around in there. But if you can get the transmission off the car its not that hard to do.

I have a Quaife, can't complain. Tom said the Quaife and Torsen are about the same...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So installing the Quaife or Torsen is simple..

someone told me about a bearing that i need to get...

0. Remove Trainy from car of course...
1. remove 15 bolts cover comes off trainy
2. remove old diff
3. remove bolts attaching on old diff that holds the gear ring
4. install gear drive to new diff
5. install diff bearing ????
6. Shim diff so no play???
7. attach the speed sensor
8. bolts back on 15bolts
9. done
10. install back transmition with new clutch along the way right

Why has to shim.. so new diff is not the same size as old?? so there's play and that why need shimming??

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
From my understanding, it has to do with different tolerances in the casting of the bellhousing, so it varies from install to install. The shim kits come with multiple shims of varying thicknesses...you don't use them all, only what you need to make it fit.

And BTW, taking the transmission off isn't an easy task...even with my friend who is a certified diesel mechanic doing the bulk of the work, and with air tools and a commercial compressor, it took us the better part of two nights (working 9pm to about 6am) to do a clutch install. Its not impossible, but not easy at the same time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts