Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should i go with the royal purple 75w-90 synchromax oil?
would i be able to use the BG synchro shift II 75w-80 oil? only comes in 75w-80
any other suggestions?
i need to change mine and would like to make the purchase sometime this week.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
should i go with the royal purple 75w-90 synchromax oil?
would i be able to use the BG synchro shift II 75w-80 oil? only comes in 75w-80
any other suggestions?
i need to change mine and would like to make the purchase sometime this week.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The Ford fluid is made for the MTX 075 tranny.
Back on my 1999 Contour SVT I tried Mobil One, and also used the new (then) Ford fluid.
The Ford fluid is pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright alright. but the ford stuff will be ridiculously overpriced.
i can use the royal purple fluid right?
what about the BG syncho shift?? is that possible to use or no?
i'm more looking for what i can use and what i can't use form y 2002 SVT focus manual trans

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
^^^ Yep its the way to go

·
Registered
290 Posts
Here read this. We just went over this in class. LOL
There will be a test.!
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193712
Having said all of the rest, re the MTX-75 -- this gent's transaxle is an MT285 - Getrag... not an MTX-75. Not sure if the table posted covers-off the MT285...?

Again, go to the Ford recommendation. Transaxle fluid cost is squat, compared to a knackered transaxle. And by the way, the MT285 costs $6000 with a $1400 core charge, from Ford. Not to be trifled with!

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
I used the synchromesh about a month ago. I havent noticed any differenec from the stuff that was in it before. Its working normal! lol

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Experiment all you want, it IS your car, BUT we gave you the best advice available already....

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i'm just seeing what is out there, i'm probably going to go the ford brand, i'm just curious what all is out there

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I HAVE known PARTICULAR applications where a change to a "better" than stock, or "different" than stock was advantageous.

The GOOD thing, from a Focus owner's point of view, is that Ford decided to go with GOOD fluids for the stock fill on our vehicles.

Long life coolant, Synthetic Blend Motor Oil, and a Full Synthetic gear oil for the manual transmission.

NO decent brand, in the right viscosity range, is likely to cause an issue. AND you will find PLENTY of folks who swear by their personal favorite brand...

The "Factory Fill" isn't cheap, BUT neither is any equivalent replacement, so it SHOULDN'T be a "dollars & cents" issue.....

As long as it gets changed by 100,000 miles, the oil isn't likely to cause any problems....

Luck!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright alright. well my car is at 157 and i don't think the previous owner ever changed it haha. so i'ma get on that probably tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
i'm just seeing what is out there, i'm probably going to go the ford brand, i'm just curious what all is out there
Hi whimsicalpouch2,

I completely agree with the all the other posters on using Motorcraft Full Synthetic manual transmission fluid - part number XT-M5-QS. It is designed to achieve the best performance for your Focus, so I'm glad you are thinking of using it.

~Natasha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts