Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 ZX3 and have decided at 115KM and plenty of reading it's time I changed the tranny oil. So how do I tell which tranny I have, the IB5 or the MTX75. As the fluid I need to buy depends on what's under the hood I need to find out for sure. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply, but I found out that I have a IB5 with the Zetec!!

I found a site that explains the vin code and the other info on the drivers door post. Cool things like gear ration, where it was made all kinds of stuff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well to tell the truth I don't know. I'm basing what I think I know from a site I found that explained the VIN codes.

From that site and my data plate in the drivers door I post, I'm thinking I have

Axle code UU = 3.82 gear ratio
TR code 5 = IB5

I'm still not 100% sure and am more than willing to take free advice.

I also found that car was assembled in Mexico, maybe the mismatch is a normal thing for cars destined for the Canadian market??

Not touching a thing till I'm 110% sure. Thanks All.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, that's definently weird. Its a good thing to know b/c the MTX-75 requires Auto tranny fluid which is really thin, and the IB5 requires manual oil, which is very thick. A screw up like that is no good.

What site did u get this info from?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just checked mine, I seem to have run into the same problem. I have the Zetec engine with the Transaxle code of 5, according to taht website is a IB5 manual Transmission. Can some help us out here.

This website: http://www.ofoc.ca/garage/vin.html , which i got from the how-to on this site.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's the same info I'm using.
When I take that info with the Ford specs to the Royal purple site, they tell me I need 10W40 synthetic oil. Which if fair enough, I just want the right stuff in the getgo!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
that's crazy!!
don't put 10W40 in your car!! keep it 5W20 or 5W30. And if you had any kind of winter in BC you would be killing your engine even faster with 10W40

·
Registered
115 Posts
Guys,

I'm in dire need of help here. Ford is closed until the morning. And I've tried not to drivem my car for fear of this problem. Can anyone tell us what the deal is with us having IB5 transmissions? Is it in error on the sticker?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
surgeo1919 said:
that's crazy!!
don't put 10W40 in your car!! keep it 5W20 or 5W30. And if you had any kind of winter in BC you would be killing your engine even faster with 10W40
The 10W40 listed is for the tranny not the engine, it's 5W20 in there for sure!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kona, have you changed the oil recently and realized the issue? If so I think in the short term you'll be OK I think it's long term when any damage may occur.
This is why I'm leaving well enough alone till I'm more than sure. I'll be calling my local Ford dealer in the AM Monday too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I understand about the 10w40 for the tranny, but 10w40 is very thin, and in the manual it says the IB5 requires manual transmission fluid. Manual transmission fluid is not thin, it is very, very thick. like 70w90/80w90, etc.

If the fluid is wrong for the transmission, then trust me, it will lead to failure of the transmission. If u need gearbox oil, and u ahve thin fluid. your tranny will be grinding on stuff all day long.

And Steel yes, I changed the oil about 4 days ago, and I've drove about 100 miles since then. Scares me.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Ok I don't know if this will help but I heard that in canada ford sold ZX3's with the spi motor in it maybe you have one?. Does your motor say zetec on it? Also I would'nt trust that site I thought there was a vin numbers defination page on FF (our forum)? Have you llooked in the book that came with your car? Also you only have 110k km or mi. If it km then you have nothing to worry about you can go a little longer people with the MTX75 they say you should never have to change the oil in it though I did change mine out. I know I asked more questions then I did helping you just trying to get a little more info.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My motor says "Zetec 16v" right on it. Aren't all the Zetec motors DOHC? The problem is this, I have a Zetec motor that sohuld be DOHC but from the sticker on my door I have the IB5 transmission whichc shouldn't be able to fit on my motor. Damn I'm freaking out here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine also is for sure a Zetec. The manual is no help either, it just tells me the type and spec of oil for either of the two tranny types, the question is which type do we have?

You have a valid point about the accuracy of that sites info, of to look for some more opinions!!

Sorry to get you all stessed Kona, mine works great, it's just the car is new to me and I want to tweek things, I read great things about Royal purple and wanted to try some in mine, short of getting some info of the tranny itself, we are we where we are[???:)]

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
I swear there was a sticky about our vins on this site. But if it is a zetec then you must have a MTX75 I would bet money that the site you looked at is wrong if your not totataly sure then call your local ford dealer and ask them. Sorry I could'nt be more helpfull

1 - 20 of 32 Posts