Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a Focus with the 2.3L Duratec. I know all about the zetec but not much about the Duratec. Is the 2.3L the way to go? PZEV worse than non-PZEV? Are there other factory options to look for when purchasing (like all wheel disc brakes)? Any suggestions will help, thanks.

·
Registered
230 Posts
hey quick (and probably stupid) question for ya, how can you tell which on you have? i have an 04 ZTS 2.3, im pretty sure its not a pzev, but how can i tell? i think the pzev has alot of black plastic on the motor, and i dont have that, this is why i think i dont have that one.

thanks for any help.

by the way StreetFocus, even though i dont know which one i have, i can tell you that thing hauls pretty good. i test drove both when getting this one, a 2.0 and a 2.3, and the 2.3 is much more power. if you get in one and drive it, you will notice the difference instantly.

·
Registered
380 Posts
the 2.0 may be a way to go. you can make as much power with it when cosworth comes out with its mods for it and it will rev alot higher

·
Registered
168 Posts
^^ Thats good & bad. Yes the 2.0L could have the same HP numbers with the cosworth kits, but I dont think it will show the same TQ numbers. Also its better to have power down low then up high. I dont know about you but I would like to have 150 hp @ 6000 compared to 150 hp @ 8000. Those numbers are no real number just something to be used as a place holder. If they come out with a FI kit, the 2.3L would be the way to go. The engine would expale more exhaust per stroke then the 2.0, so that would help a turbo out. Now if its only a S/C that would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The RS engine is a rebadged zetec and has NOTHING in common with the duratec we are using today.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome replies! Thanks guys & gals. Special thanks to Lil PZEV for the info on d23 in TX. It's fun to hear about wild and crazy ideas, but realistically I just need a daily driver with some torque down low. In fact, it's for my wife. She totalled her zetec, so I'm upgrading her to a duratec. I still have my own zetec, but this way she won't complain when I put parts on it. She'll already be ahead!

·
Registered
40 Posts
eazyrider_tim said:
R - Ruins
P - People's
M- Motors

RPM is not everything and unless your racing the thing its not needed.

The AFR Focus makes at least 280hp N/A and is limited by SCCA to about 8600rpm.

That's beyond the stock limter yes but that car barely drops below 4500rpm during a typical race and isn't the most preppy thing in the world below that where you spend most of your time on the street.

Hondas are engineered from day one to make high specific output.

If you want to rev the piss out of an engine get a B16A with excellent rod ratio and durable valvetrain and rev it up to 9000rpm if you must and 10,000 if your brave.

You also won't make much torque over 130lbs and have to have really short gearing to help out, which takes a toll on your mileage not to mention turing the engine at close to 5,000 at 70mph freeway speeds.

And ACTUALLY the taller deck in the 2.3L will provide a BETTER rod ratio when combined with a well through out piston and rod package. That will allow you to rev the Duratec up around 9,000rpm if you must but you'll also be totally rebuilding your valvetrain.

Really expensive just to say - "Hey I can rev my Focus to 9500rpm"

I'm not even sure the Black Oak PCM will even allow you to rev it up that high and that would mean additional cost of a stand alone.

I guess some post arent' very well thought out...

·
Registered
249 Posts
five-speed2.3 said:
hey quick (and probably stupid) question for ya, how can you tell which on you have? i have an 04 ZTS 2.3, im pretty sure its not a pzev, but how can i tell? i think the pzev has alot of black plastic on the motor, and i dont have that, this is why i think i dont have that one.

thanks for any help.

by the way StreetFocus, even though i dont know which one i have, i can tell you that thing hauls pretty good. i test drove both when getting this one, a 2.0 and a 2.3, and the 2.3 is much more power. if you get in one and drive it, you will notice the difference instantly.
If you have an 04 2.3, it is a pzev

·
Registered
192 Posts
yeah to StreetFocus, your car has the PZEV motor.....still a 2.3 though :)

peace bro...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts