Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I’m trying to replace the fuel pump on my 2002 zx5 but I’m having trouble finding one that looks/fits the same. I got one off eBay that, upon actually pulling the pump out of the tank does not appear to be the same thing. The pump that was in in my tank has a single fuel line coming out and does not have the spring loaded rods holding it in place. Rather it twists and snaps into what apparently are clips in the tank (I can’t quite see in). I can find plenty of replacements that say they fit my car that are the type with the spring loaded rods holding the unit in the tank, and I can find some that have what appears to be the rotate-to-snap-in style base with two fuel lines coming out of the top plate. Some of the two-lined models say “high performance”. I’ve found only one that has the twist-to-lock base like mine and it’s in Mexico. Not crazy about buying parts over the web from Mexico. Anyone know what’s going on with the various iterations of the fuel pumps and which one I might need and where I might find one other than Mexico? Thanks in advance for your help!!

·
Grey Friar
719 Posts
Ford changed the pump during the 2002 model run. You can cut the collar of the bottom of the tank and use the new style pump.

·
Registered
15,724 Posts
There is NO exact match, you have the one fuel line only pump, the 2 line ones are too early and use a fuel pressure regulator that yours no longer uses. They no longer make the exact pump module your car uses.

Ford changed your pump type to the one with the steel rods in it and you must remove the plastic ring in bottom of tank that the old one snapped into as the module type changed with a recall on your type pump. You cannot use a pump alone with no module either, the pump being different from what is in yours.

Had to do it on both my '00 and '02 cars.

·
Grey Friar
719 Posts
Don't make this more complicated than it needs to be. No one mentioned "control" module. You need the new style pump apparatus (module). You need to modify the tank for it to fit properly (cut out the ring). If you call a Ford dealer/sponsor they can give you the part number or sell you the correct pump.

·
Registered
15,724 Posts
As said, there is no need to change the pump 'control' module (fuel pump driver module), located on the far right hand side under the back seat bottom and big wire bundle going to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts