Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My first post in this section so I hope I am correct. I was browsing around and found a thread regarding the negligence of K&N drop in filter. Living in texas around roads that are very dusty and poorly maintained, this thread got me thinking. My car was a gift to me, and I intend to max it out as far as possible until I can afford a manual ford focus st. With that being said, I have done a snorkel delete and wanted to install a drop in filter, but now I am having second thoughts. I would love to have a slight increase in noise and power but at the same time, I am nervous about how the environment will affect my engine over time with the dusty and dirty environment of texas. Not to mention the presidents epa cuts may also affect the vehicle in the near future.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
K & N type is safe for the engine even when deeply coated with dust/dirt. It just filters better the more crap is on it.

Eventually enough can reduce flow for loss of power, then it needs cleaning.

Stock paper type is actually more likely to fail when coated enough to increase intake vacuum.

We can have other debates on the EPA cuts, but how would they adversely affect your engine?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K & N type is safe for the engine even when deeply coated with dust/dirt. It just filters better the more crap is on it.

Eventually enough can reduce flow for loss of power, then it needs cleaning.

Stock paper type is actually more likely to fail when coated enough to increase intake vacuum.

We can have other debates on the EPA cuts, but how would they adversely affect your engine?
Thanks for the response sailor! Glad to have you on the forums with info! So I'll go with the k&n and keep tip top on cleaning it.

I would rather not get political since we are all here to enjoy the Ford focus and discuss the vehicle to each other.
But to clarify what I meant by the EPA cuts, I have a theory regarding it. With 30% of the budget bring slashed, and having a Congress and an executive branch being dominated by the Republicans, who block almost all climate legislation, it would not surprise me if the air/water quality deteriorates. With that being said, it would take a long time to actually notice the worsening quality. But for me, I live in a proxy zone between multiple construction zones. Right in the middle actually, so seeing dust, dirt, debris around is not uncommon. I actually had to scrap my previous air filter early based on this and the same goes for my cabin air filter. Now it may be a crazy to assume this, but it's always good to consider ALL factors to find the Outlook. In terms of adversely affecting the vehicle, that all depends on how bad the filter gets over time. I was reading a thread that listed theoretical dirt intake from certain air filters and k&n was not what I was expecting. ALTHOUGH, to be fair, the tests were really not that realistic. The real world environment would not throw that much dirt at the filters like the test. I'm sure you've actually read that thread at some point sailor.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Others have recommended a dry flow filter, because the K&N is an oiled filter, some have been known to over oil the filter when they clean it (thinking more might be better) and the oil has been known to seep through the filter element and attach itself to the MAF and cause problems.

AEM, which is owned by K&N (or used to be if they aren't anymore), is a dry flow filter (no use of oil during the cleaning process). AEM filters can be cleaned with all-purpose cleaner of all things and rinsed off with water. Just make sure it is fairly air dried when you put it back in, although the filter wouldn't hold enough water to do any harm even if you didn't.

My recommendation: look into the cleaning process of each filter beforehand. K&N requires a special cleaning/oiling kit where as AEM only requires you to go by the biggest, cheapest bottle of all-purpose cleaner and requires no oil.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
^^^ good advice.

An aside from another field where a LOT of dirt is dealt with - cleaning too often (more than needed) can be the cause of damage to engines.

In construction/farm use where filters get loaded up fast with dirt, diesels can get 'dusted' (damaged/destroyed by dirt ingestion) when filters are replaced too often and without adequate care. A small amount of dirt is easily knocked into the intake each time a filter is removed, and if not noticed/fully cleaned out that goes straight to the engine.

Got 'educated' on that at a Kubota service seminar, they had enough issues with warranty claims that it was highly emphasized.

For our cars, the closest I've actually seen mentioned was a fly plastered on a MAF element - obviously got in while the filter was out for maint..

P.S. - I see your point now on possible MORE dust in your situation. Had an issue at a cycle shop years ago with intermittent PVC powder spewed from a neighboring factory, got NO appreciable help from local/state environmental authorities since it wasn't hazardous and didn't travel far.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just looked at the AEM filter site. Filters are also less expensive and that's looking good too. But if compared, do you guys think oiled filters are better or dry ones? I'm assuming oiled because they filter out more dirt and dust.

But something I think should not be done is not putting the airbox cover on. Since others have done it and seem to be reporting good results from removing the airbox cover, I wanted to do the same. However, since I'm in a dirty environment, I am not sure that's a good idea..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other issue, is where I live, there are no state taxes. So roads and infrastructure are neglected. Literally all the construction going on is building neighborhoods and houses. And new roads. Rather than fixing the old roads that current residents and new residents use, they build new ones that nobody uses. Somehow all that debris remains and makes it less way to where I live. Frequent visits by clean up crews are often but what's in the air is hard to clean up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts