Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I have a 2003 SVT EAP and I just ordered a Predator Tuner. Now I want to get a nice sounding exhaust that might give you a little HP. Thanks again everyone![burnout] [chairfall]

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
best hp would be 3"ORP and exhaust kit..with toms upgrade.
i'll be getting an ORP with 67mm throttle body from c-f-m.com with toms upgrade.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Others would argue, but anything but the stock exhaust wont give you much more than 1-3 hp, the exhaust is already designed to be high flow. The best bang for the buck is like he said An ORP downpipe. Other than that your paying upwards of 300 just for sound.

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
If you want the sound, I would go with Borla mufflers all the way. Had the SVT borla kit on my first Focus with a race header and the sound was mean and deep. That said, on the SVT the only exhaust that shows power increase is a 3", and I don't think that Borla makes 3" mufflers (maybe race mufflers, but not oval ones).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want the sound, I would go with Borla mufflers all the way. Had the SVT borla kit on my first Focus with a race header and the sound was mean and deep. That said, on the SVT the only exhaust that shows power increase is a 3", and I don't think that Borla makes 3" mufflers (maybe race mufflers, but not oval ones).
Sorry, I'm not to smart. What does "ORP" mean. Also, if I got a throttle body would I have to change the predator tuning at all? I'm going to order my tune today and is there a difference from "Toms" predator than others? Thanks again[slap] [goofydrunk]

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,977 Posts
ORP = off road pipe... and throttle body doesnt change a thing... toms has a special custom tune loaded... the others dont

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ORP-"Off Road Pipes"! I just smashed my head on the keyboard!! It makes so much coin. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
What do you mean TB's don't do anything?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!

They might not increase HP, but they sure do increase throttle response, which by the way is pretty important.

Besides, why would you think they don't do anything?????? That's like... a pretty basic upgrade.

·
1,977 Posts
i meant in the predator... if u have a tb u dont have to move a thing in the tuner.. thats what i meant... it doesnt affect the predator.
wont need a special tune later if u get the TB later

srry

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
Hey SVTR glad your here.Hola chico^ Sorry i don't know much about spanish lol

For those interested,i'm running with a broken exhaust tip.My dual exhaust has separated in the "Y" and the sound is scary haha.The other day i didn't put my e-brake and the car end up in the bush with no driver.Fortunaly it was in my driveway but afterward i realized that the tip of one of my dual was broken.It broke when it hit the bush.DOH!

The morale of the story is ALWAYS put your e-brake.Do NOT trust a car engaged in first gear alone.

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
^I just wanna warn people about the hazard of not using a e-brake.

I should do another thread about it.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
ORP with magnaflow muffler. best sound/performace period.

·
1,977 Posts
IMO high flow cat sounds better.. less raspy although ive never listened to them live. my car has a cat delete and one of the mufflers is a magnaflow.. it sounds nice but id like to hear others

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok so lets all come to a conclusion here..
I keep getting mixed signals as well..
because I was trying to make the same decision

so, would it be best to pay around 300 dollars for an exhaust
or would it be best to just keep it stock?

(keep in mind that we have established that the ORP is a must)

so make this easier for fastfret and I haha
plus I thought that 3" exhaust are usually for turbos and what not?
wouldnt the extra inch in tube be a waste?
like theres is too much space for the air to flow through which slows
it down a tad?
or am I wrong?
haha

also, where do you get a 3' ORP? o_O;

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
A 3'' exhaust is, IMO, a bit of overkill for an N/A engine that is otherwise stock. However, when built, a N/A four banger can utilize the 3''.

Now, as for the exhaust. What others have said is true, the SVT exhaust was designed to flow ridiculously well, while still being reasonably quiet. It's that quietness that causes most people to change their exhaust. In reality, each of the aftermarket systems give you LESS than 5hp on a standard Zetec, which means it will give you even less than that on an SVT. The stock system just flows that good.

Off road pipes are another story. They will give you some decent gains. On my old car, which was a non-SVT, I had the SVT header, ORP, flexpipe and a Borla catback. It was nasty loud. Nasty raspy. However, it is, technically speaking, the best flowing exhaust out there. I will not be putting an ORP on my SVT. The sound just isn't worth it. Frankly, I don't know how I didn't get a noise ticket before. Granted, most of the SVT catbacks have an extra resonator when compared the the ZX3 catback (which I had). This extra resonator helps keep the volume down a little, but it's still loud.

The other option you have is a high-flow cat. They are the best of both worlds, flowing almost as good as an ORP, while not making your car sound like a moped with a fart can.

/crazy long exhaust post

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
a 3 inch exhaust on a n/a engine will do more damage than good. you will lose backpressure and hp. especially if its near stock. i have a friend with a 408 stroker windsor in a 2001 mustang carbureted with 2.25" exhaust and it runs 6.9's on motor in the 1/8th and 6.0's on the gas. so on a 4 cyl i wouldnt go over 2.5" n/a unless its built and your making big hp n/a. now boost i would reccommend 3" otherwise dont waste your money. it will cost twice as much for 3" over 2.5".

·
Shiroi kabocha
1,974 Posts
Gonzo, I don't really feel like finding it, but Tom made a thread a while back with the dyno of a stock SVT with 3" exhaust (header back). That car showed gains across the entire power band (7hp and 7tq IIRC).

1 - 20 of 59 Posts