Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for all the newbie questions i have been asking nut new to Focuses and this site.I bought a 05 ZX3 with a 2.0 N in the vin number.I'm assuming that it would be a ZETEC engine?

It is kinda of hard to start i can turn the key and let the fuel pump(pump)then try to start and it just cranks but as soon as i crank it the second time it starts right up.Thought it might be the plugs so i plan on replacing them but today i turned the key 2 or 3 times before i tried to start it and it started right up which means that it's not getting fuel right away.What can i do about this?

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
You have the 2.0 Duratec engine. The long crank times is something that is very well known on the Duratec cars, and I have never heard of any fix for it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Replace/ Change fuel filter, run injection cleaner. Come to canton ohio and hang out with us and let us look lol

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
IIRC there is a TSB for the long crank time. Involves the dealer reflashing the computer.
TSB # looks to be 06-8-14.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IIRC there is a TSB for the long crank time. Involves the dealer reflashing the computer.
TSB # looks to be 06-8-14.
Not to sure what you are saying not really lingo savey but we are getting a ford computer at work soon to look at and reset codes on Lincoln MKT'S that we stretch to make hearses out of.Could we possibly do that with it?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Not likely.

You'll have to visit the local Ford dealership and they'll have to use their equipment to reflash the cars computer.
A general scan tool can't flash a computer. High buck ones can but for the average guy the cost isn't worth it. You have to buy the tool and you pay subscription fees to Ford for updates yearly, which IIRC is about $3,000/yr.

Just stop by Ford and ask them about the Technical Service Bulletin and what it'd cost you for the update.

·
Registered
357 Posts
How many foci in canton? [wiggle]
In canton that we hang out with, about 7. In the immediate driving area for meets, 20-30?. We have had a few really good meets with about 16 foci at my house. (I have a car lift and borescopes and all that fun stuff to take alook at your car)... Elyria isn't too far :) I wanna do a meet this friday, but its a bit short notice.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
BTW its not only dealers that have the necessary hardware/software to do what needs to be done. If you are lucky, you can find an independent Ford mechanic/shop who will probably be able to help you faster, cheaper and perhaps, closer to home. Good luck, and welcome!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not likely.

You'll have to visit the local Ford dealership and they'll have to use their equipment to reflash the cars computer.
A general scan tool can't flash a computer. High buck ones can but for the average guy the cost isn't worth it. You have to buy the tool and you pay subscription fees to Ford for updates yearly, which IIRC is about $3,000/yr.

Just stop by Ford and ask them about the Technical Service Bulletin and what it'd cost you for the update.
So was this a recall or just a service bulletin

·
Registered
406 Posts
My car will long start maybe once every 2 months, if it does not fire with in about 4 seconds of being on the starter I just cycle the ignition between AUX and Run(without going to Start) 2 or 3 times, then it fires right away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts