Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm getting the annoying "surging" at steady throttle/low RPM that lots of people here get and diagnose as the DPFE sensor. No CEL yet, but the surging is pronounced enough, even at highway speeds, that I expect one soon. I have a 2001, so I have the weird part that is under the air intake tube (already verified it is there). I have to check out the rest of the EGR system and hit the sensor with a meter to verify it is the actual problem, but in sourcing the part locally, my options so far for the part are:

Autozone - Duralast (Wells) brand - $29.99, lifetime limited warranty.
Napa - MileagePlus brand - $28.35, 1 year/12,000 mile warranty
Napa - Echlin Brand - $36.00, 3 year/36,000 mile warranty
Oreily's - BWD brand - $29.99, 1 year warranty
Oreily's - Motorcraft part 9J460 - $49.99, 1 year warranty
And for comparison:
Fordparts.com - Motorcraft part 9J460 - $61.91, 2 year, unlimited mile warranty

Which one do we like? Are there other options that are better? I keep telling myself that I won't put Autozone parts on this car, but it does offer the lifetime warranty and is actually in walk-able distance so I can swap it the day the new one acts up. To me, this is valuable on a part that people say likes to die; assuming that it is a quality part. The extra $12 for the genuine Motorcraft part from Ford with unlimited mileage also sounds pretty good compared to what I can get in town.

What do you all like, what has worked for you, and what has been junk?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll check them out.

No idea on how long the part lasted (or if it is a Ford part or something else), I bought the car less than 1,000 miles ago. It probably did this since the first day I bought it, but there were other issues (now fixed) and wicked winds on my commute that covered up the problem.

·
Registered
17,179 Posts
The firewall mounted one is MUCH better and the one that mounts on like 2 inch hose right at the EGR valve will fail just as fast even if a Motorcraft part. The close location there puts more water into them quicker to mess them up. Look at every one you pull off as bad, they will have water droplets inside when you break them apart.

I mounted my new one that was STILL messing up high on the air intake tube with plastic wireties, then used 2X3 foot pieces of hose to droop down the back of engine as a water trap and to lengthen the distance water has to move to get to the sensor. The same one that was messing up in cold weather to freeze and screw up cold start idle then quit showing any issues at all. That was a good 3 years ago or so.

In this case get a lifetime warranty part, they can change out in seconds and if the aftermarket does not make a good one then they need to pay for it by supplying multiple ones to you. Take your girl to dinner on the Motorcraft difference in price. That part commonly made by the same factories that make the other cheaper ones.

Nothing wrong with Wells parts and BWD is nowhere near the quality company they used to be, beware of them. At the last at the parts store I was warrantying BWD parts every fifteen seconds it seemed. The boxes had changed to imply not truly BWD any longer as well. "Import Select" I think they were calling them, a new lower priced BWD line of CRAP parts. Many of the parts would not work right out of the boxes..............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts