Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By cheap, I mean not the regular $39.99 "The Works" oil change.

Yes, I could do it on my own, yes, I'm aware of other independent shops, but I'd prefer to do it at a dealership.

I think every 5th oil change is free if you use the Ford rewards program, so that effectively brings the cost of 5 down to $30, but I'd like to see if the original base price can be done for less than that. I saw a $24.95 coupon at a local dealer once, but that expired pretty quickly.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
I honestly think most people here do it themselves.

Reason being:

1. its cheaper (like $18)
2. its faster (no waiting hours for a dealer to do it)
3. higher quality oil - most dealers use generic no-name brands. By doing it yourself, you have the option of choosing better oil.
4. less risk - make sure the job gets done right without a mechanic going for a joyride in your car.
5. less bullshit - cant tell you how many shops have tried to sell me stuff I dont need. I had one shop tell me that my rear rotors needed to be replaced on my 2000 zx3 (which had drums).

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I honestly think most people here do it themselves.
Yup, I wouldn't be surprised. I don't have an easy means of doing it in my area (banned by HOA), so I don't have much of an option. Plus, I wouldn't want to screw anything up.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Yup, I wouldn't be surprised. I don't have an easy means of doing it in my area (banned by HOA), so I don't have much of an option. Plus, I wouldn't want to screw anything up.
Where did you end up having it done?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,375 Posts
If you can't or don't have access to diy, get the oil/filter & hitup a quicklane for $20. they'll do it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where did you end up having it done?
Oops, never saw Viper's response above, lol!

As for my current oil changes, I get the done at Ford.

First one was free, and then I've had one done after that at the $29.99 rate (regular price minus the $10 rebate). However, I've discovered that if you allow them to add the rebate funds directly to your Ford Owner's Advantage account, you get an additional $5 (expires after one year), effectively making it a $25 oil change/tire rotation/whatever else they do for "The Works."

With the bonus $10 they give you to get started, the 5% you get back for services paid (I think it's 5%), and the $10 rebate+bonus cash, and the sixth oil change free, I think it mathematically comes to $20 more or less per oil change. That's pretty much what I was paying for Firestone/Sears oil changes in the past; now I get OEM filters and oil!

I forgot when my next oil change will be, but Blackstone Labs told me to go to 10k miles before doing a change, so I'll probably end up paying just a few dollars with my current Rewards funds.

I might want to try out a fully synthetic oil change (never had one before), but I hear you're not supposed to go back to synthetic blends if you go synthetic. They're double in cost, though :(

EDIT: One thing I really dislike about the Ford Owner's Rewards program is that it locks you into a particular dealership. If you go elsewhere, you start over with a $0 balance and 0 The Works visits. Unfortunately, they do not let you move your rewards over to another dealership.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Which dealer?

... As for my current oil changes, I get the done at Ford.

... One thing I really dislike about the Ford Owner's Rewards program is that it locks you into a particular dealership. ... they do not let you move your rewards over to another dealership.
Which dealership have you been going to? Livermore? Fremont? Other?

I'm curious how satisfied you have been with their work and customer service, both for oil changes and the work on your DCT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts