Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Focus se 75k miles.

I want to do a coolant change on the car and had this plan in mind...

Drain the coolant
Fill with distilled water
Run the engine for a few minutes and let circulate
Drain the water
Fill with new coolant
Monitor for a few days and make sure coolant level doesn’t drop too low

So my question is should I use the prediluted or concentrated Ford OEM coolant?
And does my plan sound like a good idea?

Thanks!

·
Registered
513 Posts
2014 Focus se 75k miles.

Drain the coolant
Drain the water
Fill with new coolant

Thanks!
You pretty much got it. MAKE SURE to bleed it whenever you add from empty and DO NOT drain and refill unless it's stone cold. NEVER mix chemistry (I think yours uses a "HOAT" formula but confirm that.) And, NEVER use "Dex-cool" - there's reason they call it 'death-cool.'

·
w/ my magic bag
29,320 Posts
I always used the concentrated under vacuum......

·
Registered
418 Posts
2014 Focus se 75k miles.

Drain the coolant
Drain the water
Fill with new coolant

Thanks!
I take a similar approach but after the first draining, I flush with tap water from the spigot a couple times to get all of the old coolant out. Then I do a distilled water flush a couple times and then fill with concentrate because you still have a lot of water in the system. On the first flush, you can also use a flushing agent, letting that circulate for a while to remove deposits. You could use only distilled water (in lieu of tap water) but I think that's kind of a waste because once you fill with distilled water a couple times, the vast majority of the tap water is gone.

I found that there is enough water in the system after it all drains out the radiator petcock that even if you only fill with concentrate, you'll still end up with a 55-60% coolant content which is what I like to use.

I check the level after the next couple of drives and also check the concentration with an antifreeze test bulb (the dropper type where you count the number of floating balls).

By the way, the pink/orange Motorcraft coolant used in the Focus from 2012 forward is Dexcool which is now made by most of the coolant manufacturers so it doesn't matter if you get it from Ford or elsewhere if it meets the WSS-M97B44-D or WSS-M97B44-D2 specs. See this chart directly from Ford.

·
Registered
513 Posts
By the way, the pink/orange Motorcraft coolant used in the Focus from 2012 forward is Dexcool which is now made by most of the coolant manufacturers so it doesn't matter if you get it from Ford or elsewhere if it meets the WSS-M97B44-D or WSS-M97B44-D2 specs. See this chart directly from Ford.
According to the chart it's the same "O" (orange formula) used in 1999. Dex-cool is a GM product and that specific chemistry might be listed as backwardly compatible with SOME Ford formulations but it is some of the worst chemistry ever to be sold to the public. It's absolute crap and it's still on the market. GM lost almost $60 million over it. Regardless of brands NEVER MIX CHEMISTRY TYPES.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dex cool was not the issue, poor seals in GM intake manifolds were the problem. The reaction with air and dex cool was the problem. Ford has been using the orange stuff since at least 09 in the F150s without issue. Dex cool is readily available in 50/50 pre mix and is safe to use in your Focus.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Dex cool was not the issue, poor seals in GM intake manifolds were the problem. The reaction with air and dex cool was the problem. Ford has been using the orange stuff since at least 09 in the F150s without issue. Dex cool is readily available in 50/50 pre mix and is safe to use in your Focus.
Agreed. I don't think Ford is clueless about the GM settlement. They wouldn't be recommending Dexcool if they weren't confident that it would not cause problems that some GM vehicles encountered.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Gorilla,
Everybody knew about the class action suit, believe that. In fact, the lawsuit was listed as a primary cause of GM's bankruptcy in 2007.

The truth is Dex-cool will quickly lose its pH buffer, turn acidic VERY FAST in the presence of a small amount of bubbles and cause corrosion. IT'S CRAP. But use whatever you want to use, it won't offend me. Dex-cool has actually brought me several paying customers.

1. This is not from bad gaskets, it's with 25k mile REDESIGNED gaskets that were 'guaranteed' to fix the problem.

2. Independent radiator shop's info Dex-cool Contamination
This one is some interesting reading.

3. Dex-cool is a General Motors product, Ford has their own stuff (personally, if I had any doubt and I was in your shoes, I'd buy it at the dealership- just not a GM dealer). It's a similar color but so is Caterpillar diesel coolant and it's a MUCH different chemistry. It's up to you to read the label and follow factory specs (or not.) But then somebody could tell you to use Chinese made spark plugs for a Fiat because they run them and they're 'better' than OEM. If you only remember one thing it should be this; GM completely changed the Dex-cool formula for a reason and it's still not where it should be.

4. If you really want 'the best' ... Evans Waterless Coolant but it's beyond most Focus owners' budgets at $50 per gallon (and you do NOT dilute it) and you need at least a gallon of the flush prep at $25 each.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’ve always been a 3 year green/yellow antifreeze guy myself. Great dependable history vs. the crappy 5 year stuff. Also dislike one needs to be 100% sure no previous coolant is in there before switching to one or other.

I have used Evens, great stuff.
But only recommend it if doing major coolant system work. Because it requires near dead zero percent of water in the system for it to do it’s designed job.
The investment is a little high, but it goes down in long run when compared to facts like; Never change coolant again. Can capture & reuse. Doesn’t deteriorate hoses like normal coolant does. Low coolant pressure (can run a 0-psi filler cap). & of course better cooling.
I’m currently waiting to switch my 2005 wagon. I’ll most likely do it when I do the timing set. But till then, I’m running the regular stuff.

for those that don’t know about Evans.
https://www.evanscoolant.com

·
Registered
107 Posts
Oh, go ahead & get a new thermostat.
Just cheap insurance when doing coolant flush & change. Plus, won’t need to do it later on.

A great product for cleaning the coolant system is “Glisten dishwasher magic” it’s a dishwasher machine cleaner.
Love this stuff for cleaning coolant systems. Recommend running two 12oz. bottles for initial basic cleaning tho’. For heavier grime, do two separate clean cycles. Then do a long water rinse. Follow up with your regular coolant flush’n’fill regimen.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Oh, go ahead & get a new thermostat.
Just cheap insurance when doing coolant flush & change. Plus, won’t need to do it later on.

A great product for cleaning the coolant system is “Glisten dishwasher magic” it’s a dishwasher machine cleaner.
Love this stuff for cleaning coolant systems. Recommend running two 12oz. bottles for initial basic cleaning tho’. For heavier grime, do two separate clean cycles. Then do a long water rinse. Follow up with your regular coolant flush’n’fill regimen.
X2 on the new thermostat.

Mercedes-Benz has a product called 'citric acid flush' that's supposed to be fantastic. I've never heard anything bad about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts