Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im running a kenwood amp of 970w on 2 12'' kenwood subs, and sometimes i have to unplug the amp from the battery so the car can run( car runs fine without the amp), anwyays, ive been told i need a capacitor, i just dont know what "size" i need, i've seen .5 farad, 1,2,3 farad ones, i have no idea what a farad is, so i was hoping one of you guys could help me out here.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
isaac_in_tx said:
ok so im running a kenwood amp of 970w on 2 12'' kenwood subs, and sometimes i have to unplug the amp from the battery so the car can run( car runs fine without the amp), anwyays, ive been told i need a capacitor, i just dont know what "size" i need, i've seen .5 farad, 1,2,3 farad ones, i have no idea what a farad is, so i was hoping one of you guys could help me out here.
Whoa...I think your car is having some charging issues. I had a 2-channel 920w Kenwood amp pushing two Kenwood 12's with no capaictor and never had a problem. For your particular setup, I'd go with a 1.0 Farad capacitor. But either get your alternator or battery checked out first.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i've just bought a new battery about 1 month ago, any idea where i can go to have my alt checked?

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Go to AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, Checkers Auto, or some place like that to get your alt checked...If it is bad, or going bad, look at getting a bigger alt...Give Ohio Generator a call, there website is www.ohiogen.com...Otherwise, if it is not going bad, get a 2 farad cap if you decide to get one...although the money could be better spent on a new, high output alt, which would be the better solution. Remember, a cap is just a band-aid on a system that has potentially bigger problems.

Mike

Mike

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
When chosing a cap, the common rule of thumb is to get 1 farad of capacitance for every 1000 watts rms for you system power...however, I have been told that it is better to go with 1 farad of capacitance for every 500 watts of power, just because the difference in price is typically not that big. This would be why I suggested the 2 farad over the 1 farad.

Mike

·
Registered
168 Posts
In reality, I doubt his amplifier would actually measure 970 watts. (A better method for choosing a capacitor would be to find out how much current draw there is (and purchase accordingly), rather than how much output (in watts) the amplifier is producing)

Before getting anything, figure out what the issue really is.

It could be a problem with your alternator (or regulator... most of the times built in to the alternator)

It could be a problem with your amplifier

It could be a few other things... but they would be related to the above two issues.

·
Registered
57 Posts
somethings wrong... you should be able to push thoes with no problems... I have a Rockford Fosgate Power T10001BD that is putting out 1589 watts at 1 ohm and my car runs fine... Knock on wood... I would look at either the amp or the alternator

1 - 10 of 10 Posts