Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's come down to this. I am looking at either the Marcy CAI, or Focus Sport's CAI. Marcy's say that the air filter will end up in the same place as the stock, which would relieve me hopefulyl from any cutting of the splash shield. However, I do like the look of the FS CAI, but do not know how their puzzle will fit together under the hood and at the splash shield. I've seen that people here have one or the other as most common, so let me know whats up!

[thumb]

[8]

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Marcymotorsport CAI.

Had it on my last car and regret not getting it on my new... one about to buy the marcy one also.. [thumb]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
focussport. the k&n filters are horrible with ford mass air flow sensors, espcially when they get over oiled. i like the focussport better becuase it keeps the maf tube extremly close to stock and the filter still sits relativly high hidden by splash shields

·
Registered
54 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
focussport. the k&n filters are horrible with ford mass air flow sensors, espcially when they get over oiled. i like the focussport better becuase it keeps the maf tube extremly close to stock and the filter still sits relativly high hidden by splash shields
The problem with the filter being over oiled isn't K&N's fault, it's the fault of the person putting the oil on. Failure to follow the direstions isn't an excuse. Most people clean them too often anyway. We tested a filter with 30,000 city/highway miles on it vs. a new filter and no filter at all, and the dirty filter loses no power to a new filter. No filter lost power, but that was expected. Anyone wanting a little extra protection from bugs and sand as well as a little splash protection can get a Pre-Filter cover that slips over the filter.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
There are so many people using K&N filters and most haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
MarcyMotorsport said:
The problem with the filter being over oiled isn't K&N's fault, it's the fault of the person putting the oil on. Failure to follow the direstions isn't an excuse. Most people clean them too often anyway. We tested a filter with 30,000 city/highway miles on it vs. a new filter and no filter at all, and the dirty filter loses no power to a new filter. No filter lost power, but that was expected. Anyone wanting a little extra protection from bugs and sand as well as a little splash protection can get a Pre-Filter cover that slips over the filter.
the other thing that scares me isthe huge holes in the k&n

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huge holes? Where did you get yours from? I've used drop in filters from K&N and had a K&N on the end of my AEM CAI. No problems with either and put 30,000+ miles on each and they were fine. Well, seeing the problems people have stated with FocusSport CAI, I think I have to go Marcy's this time.

[thumb]

[8]

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just make sure u don't have that damn [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g hose. That thing is really pissing me off, I can't believe none of the pictures or installation instructions mention this. Mine was a later 2006, perhaps it's a pre 07 engine change.... could explain why the 07 boasts better fuel economy... no idea just a guess, but before all this I loved the FS. Just need to figure out that damn hose.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
oiled filters are slowly being phased out. simply because of the oily MAF's. AEM, Amsoil, Accell and many others are going to a dry filter that only needs vaccumed once or twice a year. the cleaning process with K&N's are pretty particular. new filters are also going with synthetic fibers instead of cotton weave.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I've had my MarcyMotorsport intake for over 30,000 miles and have never had a single problem; nothing but good power.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also, there are so many choices do I stick with the K&N which I had before on my F-150 or try something else? I mean are they all the same, just buying the name or what? I can get a K&N typhoon on 4filters.com for $187 with free shipping. I guess I am just hoping to get some good advice so I might the right choice is all.[driving]

Also, thanks for the link to marcysport intakes!

So Aero, you like your marcysport intake?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was looking at Marcy's mainly since the filter will be in the OEM stock position. Granted, the others will be close to the same area, but I just feel more comfortable not having to alter the splash guard to put the CAI on. K&N is a great company, and I believe the Marcy's CAI comes with a K&N filter. Personally, I'd rather spend $20 bucks more and know I'm getting something from a respectable, known dealer.

[thumb]

[8]

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sawyer23ST said:
Where is the best place to purchase a marcymotorsport intake?
I have them in stock and I am close to you!!!

Tony D
Marcy Motorsport Dealer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts