Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Performance Coil (Gapped Plugs)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to hear you thoughts on this mabey well get some good info.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Haha well in all truth....... its pretty hard to get the most bang for you buck from one bolt on. You see the true BANG from a combination of different things in my opinion. For example you get better engine flow when you get.... CAI, Headers, and Exhaust System.

But if I must choose only one I would say the Turbo Kit. Most Kits include Intercoolers, Fuel Injectors, Intake manifold, and the turbine....lol. But yeah you gotta have some money you know.......lol. So yeah there's my .02

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Well, best for the money, and can be used for all other bolt ons, a tuner. You dont have that listed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Haha didn't he ask bolt on not accessory thing....lol. ANd yeah tuner doesn't count as bolt on....

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Nitrous is a bolt-on and will give you, by far, the best bang for $.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Its still a "mod" and better than most the "bolt ons" if you want to play word games. Just trying to steer him in a better direction. Whats up Blane? How you feeling?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
well not everyone is brave enough for nitrous, im not sure if i would be so thrilled of having super explosive tanks in my car, not saying ill never have it in my car one day.

id have to say throw done an exhaust system, you get some performance enhancement plus if you choose a good one, like TSUDO, you get a nice sound and people can hear it. thats just my opinion, plus it was my first bolt-on

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah no I wouldn't reccommend Nitrous.... thats an easy way to blow you engine..

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
well not everyone is brave enough for nitrous, im not sure if i would be so thrilled of having super explosive tanks in my car, not saying ill never have it in my car one day.
Nitrous is non-flammable.

It's also perfectly safe if it's done right. (RPM window switch, fuel cutoff switch, bottle warmer, and a tune)

Quite a few forum members have it. I'm putting it in my vehicle when I have the $$$ saved up to do it the right way.

It's not any more dangerous than any other FI.

It is the "best bang for the buck" mod IMHO. WHere else can you spend around $800 - $1000 for 75 hp? And the kits themselves can be put into most fuel injected cars... and will work with turbo's with a good tune later on.

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
The race header is likely going to give you the most HP, no matter what other mods you have.

I'm not considering Nitrous a bolt on, although it could be.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I did cat back first.Until I did a CAI I really couldn't feel much gain,but after the CAI I was bumping off the rev limiter a lot.Now with the 4-1,2.5" flex and SCT I'm pulling right into the rev limiter.[strongman] Sounds like a crotch rocket!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
drift_master87 said:
Yeah no I wouldn't reccommend Nitrous.... thats an easy way to blow you engine..
If done correctly then you won't have a problem. I hate the myths about nitrous. It's NOT flammable! If you do it right then you can use it as safely as you can use any other form of FI.

If nitrous isn't an option then a TB is the best way to improve throttle response, while a full exhaust will give you some power that you're looking for.

I could feel a difference when I put my udp on, too.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol I felt a huge diffrence with the udp then i put on the cam gears and had them dyno tuned they made a huge diffrence tho my base was 111 or 112 i forget and i got like 9-10 hp and 7 t so ya i guess this should be a multiple choice thing because when combined they work best.
I cant Wait im getting it dyno tuned tommorow from Mac Donald Motorsports their an sct dealer i mess with the cam gears again to hopefully 140-150 hp i want to break the 127 mph marker i want 130 so bad, my Stock Svt Romps on my suped up focus i hit 144 before i had to shift to 6th then it slowed down sniffle....

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
^^lol^^, "get them all", yeah, that'll do it!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
FocusBoy58 said:
Lol I felt a huge diffrence with the udp then i put on the cam gears and had them dyno tuned they made a huge diffrence tho my base was 111 or 112 i forget and i got like 9-10 hp and 7 t so ya i guess this should be a multiple choice thing because when combined they work best.
Huge difference? I'm with you on the cams, but the UDP? 0 - 3 hp gain. About the same as a K&N drop-in.

The butt dyno is notorious for the placebo effect :)

But... i have to say that your numbers are impressive...

If I *were* to mod out without going FI, i'd get a powdercoated SVT header, Hi-Flo Cat (gotta be conscious about the environment), 2.25 flex, and 2.25 inch MBRP first, then maybe an SVT intake mani and then cams.

The TB will improve throttle response, but will not net you any gains until you start moving toward a much freer flowing setup.

Don't even bother with a shorty header. You'll get 1 - 3 hp gains at best... just go straight for the SVT header setup... best header for the zetec.

The downside to our four-knockers is that our engines don't respond anywhere near as well to mods as a v6 or v8. If you really want the best bang for your buck and want to retain daily driveability, FI is the way to go dollar for dollar. I say put that money in the bank and save for a supercharger or turbo!

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no doubt FI is the way because god knows i will never make my focus go faster then my mazda rx-7 81 13b TR swap with a massive turbo if my focus ever runs tens i would never drive that again it would go down in history lol first 10 sec 4banger focus that would be great. IDK about our focuss' tho its sad man i would say start with svt then supe that up i got 2 one Infra Red and one CD Silver both with euro package hids and all for 14,900 each in 2004 when they needed to get rid of the svt's theres no comparison with the power on those things but i think the best thing to do since god knows you cant launch an svt without TC or it bogging out then taking off, chip it with a 2-step then turn TC off that was a 15.1 run when i did that lol i spent more on my 2001 focus 15,300 and another 4k in work to hit 15.1 lol Our focuses need to be refocused to the rs base or v8's not even the cobras just mustang gt motors they would be like low 13's to high 12's eazy and ill spend 25-30k on a v8 focus in a heart beat.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The best bang for your buck is a tuner. It is the EASIEST to install out of the "bolt-on" list. On a 4-cyl motor, all of those mods would need to be installed pretty much at the same time to feel any real significant gain. The first mod I ever did was a tune and it woke the car up quite a bit. Then I did an intake, coil, wires, plugs, and UDP. All of those together woke it up some more. Once I brought myself to having a 4-banger sound coming out of my rear end, I did an exhaust. The cat-back added some upper-RPM power, but nothing too big. I then added a SVT header which I felt quite a bit coupled with the cat-back. In the meantime, my tune was changed for more timing and optimized fuel, so all of them together probably added about 30-35 crank hp, maybe more. Not a big deal for most cars, but you will feel it in a light sport compact car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts