Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The short or the longer one? Is there a huge difference in any performance gains between the two? I have scanned through older threads and read about water problems. Also, what about the FocusSport CAI? I believe this will be my first mod.

·
Registered
732 Posts
First off, learn what CAI means. CAI mean Cold Air Intake. A CAI will give you better performance then a short ram intake, and Ray at www.myfordperformance.com has come up with a water shield for the AEM CAI. The FocusSport intake isn't a CAI by the way.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
focus sport has a heatshield and uses a snorkel to draw in cold air.... could be considered a cai. anyway, cai is a very broad term and no use into getting into the specifics.

id get the long tube + weather shield vs the short ram.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I guess I am learning, but FocusSport calls theirs a Cool-Flo Air Intake, and AEM calls theirs a Cold Air Intake. Looks about the same to this untrained guy, and the slight difference in words could be for more reasons then I can list or make up. The pictures of each look about the same as well, metal tube with a cone filter on the end, one has a shield around it, one without, and one shorter.
Anyway, thanks for the input, based on a couple recommendations, I will go with the longer one and get the weather shield.
Thanks.

·
Registered
732 Posts
the aem intake your looking at could be the cold air intake, aem also makes a short ram intake.

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
No AEM CAI or short ram is good. It is too small in diameter, and changess the position of the mass air element too much for many cars to handle without idle and drivability problems.

·
Registered
171 Posts
is the focus central one CAI like it says or are they just fooling people? and is this intake any good? thanks.

·
Registered
816 Posts
zx3matt said:
No AEM CAI or short ram is good. It is too small in diameter, and changess the position of the mass air element too much for many cars to handle without idle and drivability problems.
How does the the position of the MAFS make a difference?

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
word on the street is that people who get short ram intakes get a slight hessitation when they give it w.o.t off a stand still launch
(w.o.t wide open throttle)

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
its not repositioning the maf thats believed to cause problems, its replacing the factory housing, you are putting an air sensor into a foreign housing with a larger diameter that its not designed to work in.

im not a fan of aem because of that, and it uses metal tubing which can heat up and hinder performance.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
euro zx3 i haven't done it to my c.a.i because i haven't found any mummy wrap, but if i were to find some wouldn't it be a good idea to wrap up the metal tubing on the c.a.i??? i think that would be a real good idea...granted it may look ugly under the hood but looks don't win races do they. [:)]

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
focus mike said:
word on the street is that people who get short ram intakes get a slight hessitation when they give it w.o.t off a stand still launch
(w.o.t wide open throttle)
Nope. No problems here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got a injen race division CAI for sale...check Classifieds if interested....

·
Registered
816 Posts
I don't notice any hesitation, all I notice is a different sound and a little more grunt higher in the powerband. The AEM short ram that I have kept the MAFS in the stock housing. It just clamped on to the filter and the intake tube.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
yup its one of the old school ones, kinna why i liked it, it keeps the MAF housing while the newer ones replace it

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
awebb said:
How does the the position of the MAFS make a difference?
Apperantly, the distance of the MAF to the TB is figured into the computers calculations. I know that in NMRA Factory Stock & Real Street classes (amoung others that use the factory computer on these high hp Mustangs) there has been a deliberate effort made on the part of many competitors trying to find an edge, with little allowed modifications, by getting the MAF back to the stock position. It seems to help tuning tremendously.

I have a friend who put on the AEM, and I was floored by how small it was compared to the stock tube. Also his MAF element was tilted and positioned right over the EGR valve (which gets a little warm). I made him take it off and just try the stock set-up with just a cone filter attached, and he picked up power and had none of the idle or drivability problems associated with the AEM (irradic idle, stalling with the air on, stumbling)

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
AEM short ram=8 months no problems for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts