Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob alert...

So I just purchased a 2010 Focus SES - I'm picking it up in a couple days and want to start making small mods here and there.

When it comes to the engine I haven't got a clue. What are some things I can purchase/get installed to make the car run/perform better. Does anyone have any good links I can read to start educating myself on all things engine? (noob friendly)

If you were to list 3-5 things that you should do right away to your car what would it be? Does changing things in the engine take away from the good gas mileage of this car?

Anything at all will help, thanks in advance

·
Registered
520 Posts
Start by checking this forum the search bar will get you lots.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion Diesel - I've been poking around the site for a few days now but it's difficult when you know nothing haha [facepalm]

Most people on here already have a fairly advanced knowledge about cars, you gotta start somewhere though right? [wrenchin]

·
Registered
520 Posts
there are a bunch of threads about just this some even break it down by $$ to spend

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
1. CAI
2. Catback Exhaust.
3. Lowering springs/struts.
In that order.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Noob alert:

Okay so I've been trying to read up on the whole cold air intake thing. From what I've gathered it gives you a little more power under the hood and a little better mileage, correct?

One thing I was concerned about was the fact that some people are saying you run the risk of voiding the factory warranty on the car if something happens to it and the dealership sees aftermarket parts under your hood. What's your take on this?

Also, it seems theres a bit of maintenance involved with the CAI's - being you have to clean the filters out monthly. I'm new to this whole world of aftermarket and wanted to keep things as straight forward as I could. Is there a certain type of CAI that doesn't require much upkeep?

Do CAI's make the car louder or is it just the exhaust that does that? Any idea how much installation would be on one of these bad boys, since there's no chance I can do the work myself.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The intake will make it a little louder but not much. And the warranty will not be voided by a CAI-if you are really concerned just keep the old setup and re-install when you take it in for warranty work.
I recommend FS Werks...
http://www.fswerks.com/fswerks_coolflo_air_intake.htm
You can look around the For Sale section and look for a used one-remember to get one to fit the 2.0/2.3 Duratec and not the Zetec/SVT.
And really they aren't that difficult to maintain-just clean it with every oil change.
And we have a few members (myself included) in Calgary that can help with the install.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been looking more into this CAI - I am convinced I need it in my life.

One concern people were talking about was it getting wet since it sits lower to the ground (?). You being from Calgary would know all about the random downpours here and the flooding that happens (at least downtown). Should I also invest in Hydro Shield? To protect from the filter getting wet/submerged during those storms.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filters/65A2582A0A0.aspx

I've been looking around to price these bad boys out but only a couple places have them and the prices are pretty well all the same. I just dropped 18k on the purchase of the vehicle and a couple extras but when I reup the bank account this will be one of the first things on my list. At that time, if you or someone is able to help with the install I'd greatly appreciate (I'd be willing to pay for the labour). If not, are there any shops in town who install aftermarket stuff that are any good?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Never seen that Hydro Shield but if it keeps the water out the price seems OK.

·
FF Affiliate
31,091 Posts
I think you should start with a tune and not just because I sell them but because

Better shifting and shift points if your an ATX ,

If you start modding the 08 and up you need a tune to keep everything where it should be with the fueling and the timing

A tune will give you better over all driveability why adding some performance and with FREE NA tune updates you get to enjoy the mods to there potential every time you add one vs waiting to get all your mods then getting a tune months later

For what you asked for in your first post a tune will be the biggest thing to fill the request of "What are some things I can purchase/get installed to make the car run/perform better." Tune would be #1 for that

1)Tune
2) intake
3) header and Exh

Tom

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I think you should start with a tune and not just because I sell them but because

Better shifting and shift points if your an ATX ,

If you start modding the 08 and up you need a tune to keep everything where it should be with the fueling and the timing

A tune will give you better over all driveability why adding some performance and with FREE NA tune updates you get to enjoy the mods to there potential every time you add one vs waiting to get all your mods then getting a tune months later

For what you asked for in your first post a tune will be the biggest thing to fill the request of "What are some things I can purchase/get installed to make the car run/perform better." Tune would be #1 for that

1)Tune
2) intake
3) header and Exh

Tom
This. And, a tune from Tom includes free updates, you won't find that from other remote tuners. I was shocked at how much better my car ran after getting my tune.

Look into the how to section to get a better understanding of where everything goes. I always like knowing just how I'm going to install something before I order it. I was a complete car noob just a few months ago. I still consider myself one, but you'd be surprised at just how quickly you pick things up. I started off by doing my own oil changes, putting in a new air filter, and most recently, installing a cat back exhaust. You'll learn quickly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never seen that Hydro Shield but if it keeps the water out the price seems OK.
/\ Have you found water getting into the filter to be a problem?

Turbo thanks for the info - I haven't taken much time to read about or consider getting a tune, I'm going to start educating myself on it, since I haven't got a clue about it haha

Mac, thanks for the encouragement, it seems like an uphill battle when you're starting out but like you're saying with each new product your learn more and more. I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Not in my case but I don't have a CAI-the intake to the supercharger is up on top!!!
Perhaps others running this intake can chime in.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I live in Oklahoma where we get some serious rain and have never had a prob. Just don't go driving through deep water.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good to know thanks purcell

Do these CAIs sit low in the engine (near the ground) or are they more near the hood?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Mine sits just above the bottom lip of the bumper. I made a splash shield for mine to keep it from getting water splashed on it from the tire. I ran it for over a year before I installed the splash shield though with no probs. It did have a little mud on it though. Very little. I do work in construction though so I see alot more mud than most people. Pic of shield made from aluminum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts