Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what the first responses are going to be... I searched. I read SimplyDomesticsFocus' sites. And became more confused. [???:)]

2005 ZX3, 2.0 Duratec, Manual tranny.

I'll go ahead and start with the intake. Probably a short ram, since we get some pretty deep puddles on occasion around here.

Thing I'm worried about is voiding my warranty since the wonderful credit rating my ex-wife left me with forced me to get a six year loan and extend the warranty.

How do things like intake, headers and exhaust make Ford act when you bring the vehicle in for service?

What about cams and maybe higher compression pistons?

I guess what I'm ultimately after is only about 150-160whp, daily driven. Nothing spectacular. What would be the best path to get there and keep the reliability and some decent around town manners. And no fart can grapefruit launcher exhausts! [:D]

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
GMISVTFocus said:
air filter voides so anything else i exspect it would
No. You are still covered.
By law, the dealership must show that the modification's were the cause for any break-down under warranty. The burden of proof is on them. They may tell you that any changes will void the warranty, but that's just them being lazy and cheap. There's good protective legislation out there, and I encourage any enthusiast to read up on it. So in essence, don't worry.

Besides, the vast majority of warranty issues any more don't deal with the oily bits anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright. How many Iowa people are on this board anyway?!!??! Seems like every thread I read has a post from someone else in Iowa...

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I don't think there's a ton of Iowans, they must just flock to threads you see! I'm moving this one over to Duratec 2.0 Performance, for your specific engine.

Ok, since you're a good searching newbie try running a search on Magnuson-Moss Act maybe Google search since I'm not sure I spelled it right). That's the one that mentions warranty voiding. Yes, the burden of proof is on the dealer, but obviously most dealers won't come out with proof immediately. They'll start by saying "void" because if you don't know, then they're in the clear. If you then bring up that they need proof, they Have to have solid evidence, most probably won't do that because their case isn't true.

Of course a dealer's reaction will depend a lot on the dealer, they all repsond differently. One thing you can do that I doubt anyone would suggest voids your warranty, is get an exhaust. Catback if you have an emissions inspection in Iowa, because then it's emissions-legal too.

I would say go for the short-ram or CAI. It really opens the car up a Lot and compliments an exhaust (breathe in, breathe out). Also, if your dealer seems mod-unfriendly, and you have a legitimate warranty concern that you know isn't related, the stock airbox equipment can easily be swapped back in so as to avoid the annoyance of them suggesting your intake caused your door handles to stick[:)~]

FYI, just in case you weren't sure because occasionally people don't know... if the dealer you bought the car at has a sucky Service Dept or are unfriendly to your cause ANY Ford dealer will perform warranty work for you. So if you have options, check out someone else.

·
Registered
290 Posts
for the most part, what has all ready been said is pretty much true, they cant, and most dealers that ive dealt with wont void ur warranty because you swapped a cai and cat back. exceptions being you do something and ur engine throws a code related to the system you replaced and they cant figure out why, THEN they can argue that it was because of an aftermarket item, ask u to return the vehicle to its origanal state and see if the problem clears up. if it does, they'll can tell you if ur replace the item again and the problem reoccurs, they wont honor warranty work. when you start replacing manufactures item like pistons, cams, and other internals, you really open a can of worms because the manufacturer has no liability's for those items and if they fail, and damage other parts ur screwed. or say you do headers and a ultra free flow exhaust and burn a valve, again youre screwed. all manufacturer's are getting pretty prissy about warrant issues, and if you read you warranty they are very specific. theyre even going as far as checking out speedway doc's and voiding warranties for abuse, if you even do time and tunes, so be carefull! a good rule of thumb is if youre worried about the cost of fixing it yourself, dont do it.
i would stick with an intake, a mm cai cause its located in the same spot the factory intake is and a cat back, maybe a cam tool and a bs delete. nice gains inexspensive and not too likely to get you into any trouble with ford. good luck! keep us posted.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
He doesn't need a BS delete, the D20 doesn't have balance shafts to get rid of!

Very good point about the internal stuff like pistons, that's pretty hardcore, but usually if you can handle buying and installing new engine internals, you can deal with car issues that Might pertain to those items, and have the dealer deal with other stuff if it crops up. 2005s in general don't tend to be really buggy, so unless you got the "luck" of the draw to pick up a lemon, it might never even be an issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lil PZEV said:
...so unless you got the "luck" of the draw to pick up a lemon...
Well, it is yellow. [:D]

Okay, we'll start with the intake and exhaust if I can find one that doesn't sound like my Focus has Montezuma's revenge. I can't get the FS Stealth because of the crap they put on our roads in the winter, so I'll need stainless steel and QUIET.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Try a Magnaflow or Borla. Both should be SS, and they're nice sounding exhausts unless you want to hear them roar and get on them. I'd avoid the MBRP because I've heard some call it loud. Trubendz system with a Magnaflow muffler is a nice alternative too (SS).

There's a short video with my car's Borla on the last page of the Exhaust Clips thread in Focus General Chat.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Lil PZEV said:

There's a short video with my car's Borla on the last page of the Exhaust Clips thread in Focus General Chat.
thanks man.... that's the first time i was actually able to listen to a clip. this computer is weired.... you r da' bomb!!! [thumb]

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lil PZEV said:
He doesn't need a BS delete, the D20 doesn't have balance shafts to get rid of!

oops my bad [:I] i didnt really look at what engine he has im so embarrassed lol i guess what he should REALLY get is a MEXICAN B.S. delete huh? lol

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Carrera26 said:
No. You are still covered.
By law, the dealership must show that the modification's were the cause for any break-down under warranty. The burden of proof is on them. They may tell you that any changes will void the warranty, but that's just them being lazy and cheap. There's good protective legislation out there, and I encourage any enthusiast to read up on it. So in essence, don't worry.

Besides, the vast majority of warranty issues any more don't deal with the oily bits anyway.
i second this statement, say like you put a CAI on your car and they say that voids the warranty, but if your rear a-arm brakes and you wreck your car, it was apparently the a-arm and the CAI has nothing to do with it. now, if you get a CAI and you hydrolock your engine, i would say, SOL. lol but you should be alright with a CAI [thumb]

·
Registered
337 Posts
Go for the Steeda intake if you're afraid to run the CAI

I'm running it...it's awesome!
Looks good and there's a DEFINITE power increase

The stock intake sucks & is SUPER restrictive:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts