Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I drive an 03 hatchback focus with 2 12s in the back and I just purchased a new amp for my speakers.

Its dimension are as follows: Width, 9.88 in. Depth, 10.25 in. Height, 2.69 in.

I was just curious what your guys suggestions would be as to where I should place it.

I was considering under the passengers seat,but I do live in the snow belt and it getting wet is a concern for me, as well as it having enough space to dissipate heat. but what do you guys think. I also saw another members build where he made a holder for it or piece of wood where the stock 8 in woofer is. I was considering that even though it would be way more work.

And my final question. What amp wiring kits do you guys suggest I buy? Brands and Links would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
never mount under as seat. bad air flow = dead amp.

i had mine mounted to the back of the rear seats with some 120mm fans to circulate air behind my box

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
If this is the sub amp and it's a class D, the back of the seat is fine. You should not need fans on a class D as long as it has room to breathe.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Man most of these new amps can run so low 2ohms if you keep the load up it should never over heat. IMO under the seat is the best these seats sit so high there is plenty of room.

Another thing good about under the seat you can easily reach down under it and feel how hot its running to keep an eye on it.

Another thing maybe some dont know is there is a duct down under the seat you can use to blow air over the amp if you wanted.

The ducts come from up under the dash and when you put the fan control in the right mode it will blow down into these ducts. I believe its for the rear passangers feet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
its for the rear passengers...and in the winter when you put the heat on the floor, 90+ degree air comes out of there. I live in Chicago, i use heat in the winter, and he will in Detroit. ive measured temps out of my vents over 100 degrees before.

I have both my sub and speaker amps mounted to my 60/40 seats(i have sedan)in the trunk. no problems overheating. even sealed in the trunk with 100+ heat indexes weve been having here latley.

So really, it all come down to preference....where do you want it at? under the seat you can check it for temp increses easily, and a thief cant see it very easily, but any back seat passengers feet will probally be under your seat. you want there feet on your amp? expecially if its raining/snowy outside?

In the back, has more air to circulate. you can make a sick looking setup in the back of your car if you lay out the wire right, and have nice looking amps, no hotass air blowing right on it, and no foot trouble. but easily seen by crooks. (but you already have 2 12's, and they can see those, so it doesnt matter much.)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
its for the rear passengers...and in the winter when you put the heat on the floor, 90+ degree air comes out of there. I live in Chicago, i use heat in the winter, and he will in Detroit. ive measured temps out of my vents over 100 degrees before.
So your saying those vents only blow out heat? If you put the temp control on cool and turn it on the floor heat still blows from these vents? is that what your telling me?

If you turn on the A/C and put it on the floor heat will still blow out those vents?

I dont believe that.

·
Registered
642 Posts
no he is just saying that when its cold in the winter he will have his heat on therefore blowing heat onto amp. so during the cold season he would have heat blowing directly on the amp.

now with a lot of these new amps they dont overheat like they used to so he could be fine. but its all about whether or not he is willing to risk it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright One it isnt a mono block its not for my subs its a little 60w by 2 channel amp and I drive an 03 zx3 so there is no vents that go down only up in the front dash

·
Registered
262 Posts
there should still be those little vents, they poke out under the center console front under the front seats.. they should be there.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
What kind of amp is it? Are you running it bridged? At what ohm load?

Yes, you can totally mount it under the seat. Just use a can of undercoating to seal the screws after you mount it. Do a good job and you will have no leaks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What kind of amp is it? Are you running it bridged? At what ohm load?

Yes, you can totally mount it under the seat. Just use a can of undercoating to seal the screws after you mount it. Do a good job and you will have no leaks.
Well the amp is a bazooka EL260
http://www.bazooka.com/products/mob...2/EL260---EL-Series-2-x-60-watt-amplifier-P71

60 wats a channel at 4 ohms, 95 at 2 ohms

I was either going to run 2 polk db571s at 4 ohms

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=ePZBTovgLcrOgAfA_eyiCQ&ved=0CF8Q8wIwAA

or 2 infinity kappa 682.9cf at 2 ohms
http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=ePZBTovgLcrOgAfA_eyiCQ&ved=0CF8Q8wIwAA

What do you guys think the polk or the infinitys.. Ive already got them amp just need to purchase the speakers and also a amp wiring kits? any sugestions on where to grab one of those?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
in trunk is alwasy a great place just takes a little more speaker wire if running it all the way to the front speakers

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
8 awg would be good enough to run the amp. I have had many different amps ran in my car in 4 different locations. One was under the driver seat since my seat never moves. I squeezed an MTX 801D monoblock under there. My passenger seat moves more to allow those to get in the back (no fat chicks obviously)...lol. If you put it under the seat just keep in mind that the passenger seat gets moved the most and you have to worry about people who don't care kicking your shit. Oh dear god don't let them kick them RCA jacks man! In addition the battery is on the driver side too. Will be that much easier to run your wire to under the driver seat.

·
Registered
262 Posts
he should already have a wire ran for the sub. distribution block for that. and ive heard it band for amps to be mounted upsidown...correct if im wrong.

but my biggest thing for under the seat is the fact people dont care about your stuff, and when they break it you get, "my bad bro"...then your like "your payin for that", then youll never see that money...thats why i have only like 4 friends. im so anal about shit i piss people off to much, so if they dont respect me, they can piss off.

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
HELL YEAH!! And yeah this ain't no Jeep that if you flip it over just flip it back up and keep on truckin. But yeah amps turned completely upside down = bad in most cases. I can only think of one install that seems to be doing fine as of now. My buddy has his amp mounted upsidedown to the under side of his trunk lid. It smoked like a mofo the day after he did but kept playing while bellowing smoke like it was the fourth of july. And is still playing to this day. I just think he got lucky. It was an Interfire 1000watt 2 channel (NON) monoblock. But yeah even with this story I would still never mount anything upside down. But we are talking about here is basically flat on it's back....which til present I have never had a problem with doing such. My only concern was the lack of peoples respect.
Also depending on how much wattage his sub amp his vs. the quality of wire already ran vs. the awg of the wire.....then yeah a distro block would be a good solution too. Good catch WILLIS!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HELL YEAH!! And yeah this ain't no Jeep that if you flip it over just flip it back up and keep on truckin. But yeah amps turned completely upside down = bad in most cases. I can only think of one install that seems to be doing fine as of now. My buddy has his amp mounted upsidedown to the under side of his trunk lid. It smoked like a mofo the day after he did but kept playing while bellowing smoke like it was the fourth of july. And is still playing to this day. I just think he got lucky. It was an Interfire 1000watt 2 channel (NON) monoblock. But yeah even with this story I would still never mount anything upside down. But we are talking about here is basically flat on it's back....which til present I have never had a problem with doing such. My only concern was the lack of peoples respect.
Also depending on how much wattage his sub amp his vs. the quality of wire already ran vs. the awg of the wire.....then yeah a distro block would be a good solution too. Good catch WILLIS!

I already have an 8awg wire ran to the back for my subs I was thinking of going the distribution block rout but wouldn't that be splitting the power to much? Because this amp is a little below averageI want it to be getting all the power it needs. Aslo wouldnt it be more cost effective to just buy another amp kit and wire it straight to the battery.

And will deffinitly take the advice not to mount it upside down, or underneath the seats cause I do have backseat passengers quite often

and my what do you guys think about the speakers I know everyone says polk but the iniftys run at 2 ohms and take 90 wats.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts