Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lets get twisted
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Two questions.

First, I'm looking for a good spot to mount my amp for my ZX3. I've heard the back of the rear seat is a good place but I'm worried about the hardware coming loose from driving. Is there any special mounting hardware that would be good to purchase to solve that problem? Or is there anywhere else that would be a good place to mount the amp?

Also, I'm looking to make an enclosure for my sub and I'm searching for ideas on how to actually build it. Are there any designs or ideas out there that some of you guys really like? I saw some premade boxes that are failry small and don't take up a lot of trunk space but they are kind of expensive.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
I always like the idea of having an amp under my seat like the factory did in mine.. when i replace it i would like to have it there.. not noticible and sure as heck hard to steal..

·
Lets get twisted
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^ that's a good idea. did they mount it under the rear seats or the drivers seat? do you think it would be best to make a bracket for it to keep it from moving around?

·
Registered
740 Posts
just make a custom fiberglass box and on the back make an insert for the amp so everything looks clean. i made one and i love it not to hard to make and look nice and gets lots of compliments if u want picks or got a Q's pm me

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
yeah mounting on the rear seats is a good place to put it...i hardly doubt you would have to worry about it falling off if it was secured to it correctly

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
Its under the passenger front seat since the motor for the power seat wont let me put it under driver.. i know its screwed on to something im not sure wheter it has a bracket or not but it does not move around at all.. so im satisfied and no one knows i have an amp..

·
Registered
183 Posts
I mounted mine's to the back of the rear seat and Its nice and clean.. Also if you live in Dallas like me where it floods I am not sure if under the passenger seat is going to a be a good idea..

·
Lets get twisted
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i live in utah so i don't think i have to worry about flooding anytime soon. but thanks anyways. i guess since it snows a lot i would rather that snow didn't get under the seat when i open the door.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It snows here in Indiana too. I have had mine under my passenger seat along with a capacitor right next to it for 2 years now and have never had a problem. It is very easy to run the wires under the seat. I just cut a piece of 1/4" ply and covered it in walmart carpet. Works great ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm MECP certified, so here's a couple tips. You don't want to mount your amp to your sub box because it can ruin your amp believe it or not. Also, amps can put out a lot of heat, so under a seat can be bad good and bad. Good if there's enough clearance, and you can have feet warmers for the people in the back haha. Bad because a lot of times there's not enough clearance. Also don't forget, you have to mount the amp to some type of wood, ply wood for instance. Never let it connect to metal and ground out.
Also it's best to let the Amp set at a flat surface, i've seen Best Buy mount amps on boxes AND the back of seats, although it looks nice and seems spacious, it's best to keep it flat.

·
Lets get twisted
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm MECP certified, so here's a couple tips. You don't want to mount your amp to your sub box because it can ruin your amp believe it or not. Also, amps can put out a lot of heat, so under a seat can be bad good and bad. Good if there's enough clearance, and you can have feet warmers for the people in the back haha. Bad because a lot of times there's not enough clearance. Also don't forget, you have to mount the amp to some type of wood, ply wood for instance. Never let it connect to metal and ground out.
Also it's best to let the Amp set at a flat surface, i've seen Best Buy mount amps on boxes AND the back of seats, although it looks nice and seems spacious, it's best to keep it flat.
Thanks for the help. I'll keep that in mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts