Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at possibly deadening my car sometime in the future, Ill be doing portions at a time (broke @$$ college student) and i was curious as to what part of my hatchback makes the most noise and I would start there first. Also, what brand would you recommend? Id rather not pay the big bucks for dynamatt, but i also dont want to get some cheap gimpy crap. Whats a good quality brand that isnt quite as pricey as dyna?

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Second Skin, Audio Technix, RAAmat, Sound deadener showdown.

The rest are not worth a crap.

That said, you do not have to have 100% coverage. You would be good with 50%. Lots of noise comes from the floor pan, doors, roof and firewall. I still have to do my roof and firewall and under the hood in spots. I have over 22 hrs of work into it so far. But, my daughter helped out a lot as well.

One thing for you to think about is the tires. They make a difference as well. A quiet tire rules!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You did a beautiful job on yours! Any particular hot spots that make more noise than others? And im doing to for SQL as well as to kill the road noise

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
I focused mainly on the doors, floor and hatch area. There are places on the hatch floor and the footwells where there is up to 3 layers. The knock test is the best way to tell how much you need and where. If you knock on a spot and it sounds tin(resonance) like add some more to it. One thing that helps is to use some metal tape to cover the seams of the soundproofing. The stuff is a little messy and it helps to keep it off of your clothes as well.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
the hatch itself and the doors are a big one. use some great stuff foam from walmart, about 3 cans on the hatch. extend the wires for the license plate late and hang them down so that the foam doesnt grab ahold of them. the rook is another big one just the front half is done on mine and i noticed a big difference. the whole trunk is another. the floor is were a good portion of road noise comes in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts